Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1998 996 clicking

PJE

Afternoon all,

I just went to start my 996 and when I tuned the key I heard a clicking sound
Coming from the engine compartment and engine did not turn over,turned key off tried again and it started turned off after running for a few minutes tried to start again and same problem,battery is fully charged.

Any ideas comments as to what this could be and how to rectify it ?

Many thanks.
PJE

Did all of the dashboard lights go off when it wouldn't start? My first stab would be the contact from the battery earth terminal to the chassis near the battery.

MC

Sounds like a bad earth to me.

996 Clicking

Dashboard lights stayed on,earth battery lead is fully secured...

Doesn't sound like a bad earth then. If it is a bad earth it will look and feel secure but the get corrosion behind them. Unbolt it and clean it up nicely with a wire brush. It might not be the fault but if you haven't done it I would do it anyway.

MC

If you're frugal like me, you can rebuild your starter with a new brush plate and clean it out. It's a build up of grease, dust and carbon that stops the starter from working. It's not actually shot, it's just dirty.

The hardest part is getting to the thing, you have to take out the intake bits and then you can get to it to remove it. Fixing it/cleaning it on the bench is a piece of cake. It's half a day and £15 to DIY, vs Much less effort but probably about £300 to have an indy swap in a new one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back