Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

infrasilver said:
I would like to come around for a nosy

+1 on that, not seen either of you for a while :nooo:

I'm in the office until next Thursday. Just give me a shout to make sure I'm really there. Next week probably best as a whole bunch of parts are at home for painting this week.

MC

As last time with the rear struts, they are showing signs of rust directly from Porsche. I'll put some POR15 on them and try to get some wax in them.

The new front struts come unpainted, so they get cleaned and painted before fitting.

MC

I masked up the outside of the car ready to attack it with the cavity wax and underseal. First job is to do the cavities with Dinitrol ML. This is a very thin penetrating cavity protector.

Before I started I went around the car and marked all of the places I wanted to inject with pieces of white tape so I knew exactly where to go. It didn't take all that long to around the whole lot. Due to the ML being very thin it finds its way out through any other holes and seams. I haven't done inside the rear arches or in the sills. The arches I will do from inside as the rear interior panels are currently off and it is all exposed, the sills need some welding doing when the car is off the ramp so I will get those done after the welding.

A couple of photos down the front chassis rails show that it is barely visible as it is pretty thin...

I'll leave this for a while for any excess to drain out, then I will be going over areas which require it with POR15

Previously I had bought some Tarett top mounts but the bushes on the top were too long. I sent them back to Tarett and they changed them for shorter ones. They also supplied with a spare set of the ball joints and bushes. Not sure if that was a mistake or not though....

Unfortunately due to a change of plans I won't be using these. So I now have a full set of freshly refurbished GT3 shock absorbers and springs with brand new Tarett top mounts going spare. I'll either sell them or keep them in case I ever want to put them on my C2.

MC

I have been around all of the areas which have been treated for surface rust, plus any seams and edges I could see with two coats of POR15, ready for the wax next.

MC

Are you going to paint over the POR15? I put a coat of their chassis black over it on my Lotus as POR15 is vulnerable to degradation from UV light, probably ok under wheel arches but it was a job that I don't want to repeat!

maldren said:
Are you going to paint over the POR15? I put a coat of their chassis black over it on my Lotus as POR15 is vulnerable to degradation from UV light, probably ok under wheel arches but it was a job that I don't want to repeat!

I wasn't planning on doing. It will be covered with Dinitrol 4941 black underbody sealant and most parts will then be covered by arch liners.

MC

That should do the job, probably better than a thin coat of paint.

I checked online and the Dinitrol 4941 is perfectly safe on the aluminium and rubber parts underneath the car, so I just need to keep it away from anything which will get hot. I masked up everything I could and covered most of the garage, including myself.

Just under 2 tins of Dinitrol later it looked like this:

I did most of the underneath apart from the edges near the sills which I can't access at the moment, these will be done at a later date.

As it is all set up I'm contemplating whether it is worth doing a second coat on Monday or whether I should leave it now. I have the weekend to ponder it.

MC

Definitely going to town on that.

I've been doing the front seams that have a little surface rust with POR15 under my fuel tank while I have it off the car, nothing too bad again but good to be able to inspect and coat bits I have never seen previously.

Proper job - we'll done. Good to see you are using a decent face mask too

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back