Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

About to turn the 996 into a garage queen...

Gooey36

So the time has come to 'retire" the 996 from daily use! It's being SORN from end of this month for 6months to see out the worse of the weather over the winter tucked up in the garage...after all the work I've done to it this year particularly on the mechanicals I want it to feel like this for as long as possible!

Also will feel more special only using it in nice weather!

Over the winter I plan on swapping to M030 now all the coffin arms, tuning forks etc have been done and maybe some new rubber (probably going to opt for some road legal track tyres purely as it's not a daily driver and it's not going to be purposely driven in the wet) - should make a massive difference.

To facilitate this, I've had to purchase the wife a new runabout so I can use the A4 dieselbore for my daily.

So, at her request she wanted 'something small and nippy"....

So after a few months of searching I've finally found a very tidy R53 Cooper S!

It's actually pretty good fun and bangs and pops and makes a nice supercharger noise!

Pretty chuffed!

Anyone else tucking theirs away soon / buying winter hacks?!

Attachments

• 5f5b734c_1bd6_4ac6_8458_dbfb7891f461_167.jpeg
    5f5b734c_1bd6_4ac6_8458_dbfb7891f461_167.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 3,366
I've had an R53 Cooper S since new - haven't felt the need to change it, it's so good at doing so many things. Not slow either and easy to tune - mine's running 235bhp with a supercharger reduction pulley and some other stuff.

Slightly OT, sorry :)

They're great fun on the road!

Hopefully you can get it all done and in time for the spring (don't wait 6 months!) ..

Careful when choosing tyres, I went for some 888's and it really ruined the driving - kept tracking the road contours and made it feel skittish

jerzybondov said:
I've had an R53 Cooper S since new - haven't felt the need to change it, it's so good at doing so many things. Not slow either and easy to tune - mine's running 235bhp with a supercharger reduction pulley and some other stuff.

Slightly OT, sorry :)

What other stuff??! Ha!

I planned on the 17% pulley kit plus intercooler and JCW exhaust and airbox and that's about it.

Another money pit!

Spent hours and hours today using a grinder and sanding disc to clean all the steel work under the car and re-coating with black underseal. Also changed to braided lines and DS2500 pads as well And refurbed the callipers. I was sure I was going to leave this one alone... 😂

Make sure you do get her out again - I Sorned mine in March due to building work on the house (which overrun) and ended up not getting her out (apart from a couple of gentle trundles around to keep everything moving) this summer!

Will get her re-MOT'd & taxed next spring :sad: :sad:

Jay. said:
They're great fun on the road!

Hopefully you can get it all done and in time for the spring (don't wait 6 months!) ..

Careful when choosing tyres, I went for some 888's and it really ruined the driving - kept tracking the road contours and made it feel skittish

Tyres are such a subjective decision! One person will rate them, another not so much!

Possibly going either Cup 2 or AD08R..many months of deciding first!

Looks like I'll be needing some bodywork done and so I will probably SORN mine once that's done. Few reasons, Im approaching my mileage limit with 6months to go, I have other priorities coming up over next 4-5months and Id like to freshen up the underside as well.

Id prefer to run it but with the winters we get cars do get a fair amount of abuse from roads/salt.

Mine's going in its outside Carcoon from the beginning of November. Out again in March in time for its MOT, hopefully after all the winter weather has finished. Well impressed with it over last winter.

Dave

oh be Jesus :sad:

Do you wear white socks and sandals too :nooo:

:grin:

Great choice (see below :grin: ) :thumb:

The R53 is my daily and the 996 will be tucked away although probably not sorn. I want the option of a drive on a crisp dry sunny day :thumbs:

C3_A6_CB7_A-0_F7_B-444_B-_BC22-_ED55330206_D1.jpg

SORN'd mine at the end of September. It's nice to give it a deep clean and wax etc then tuck it away turn key ready for spring. In the meantime it's quite therapeutic not to be fussing over the car all the time and be able to enjoy other hobbies on a nice day without dilemma.

adamw said:
Great choice (see below :grin: ) :thumb:

The R53 is my daily and the 996 will be tucked away although probably not sorn. I want the option of a drive on a crisp dry sunny day :thumbs:

C3_A6_CB7_A-0_F7_B-444_B-_BC22-_ED55330206_D1.jpg

The more I see a Turbo, the greater the itch to get one.

One day.

@HSC911 flip flops and socks for the house all the way!

Gooey36 said:
What other stuff??! Ha!

I planned on the 17% pulley kit plus intercooler and JCW exhaust and airbox and that's about it.

Another money pit!

Spent hours and hours today using a grinder and sanding disc to clean all the steel work under the car and re-coating with black underseal. Also changed to braided lines and DS2500 pads as well And refurbed the callipers. I was sure I was going to leave this one alone... 😂

Nice work with the grinder and the brakes! That's a level of care I don't really take over mine :worship:

I've got a 17% reduction pulley, colder plugs, Works GP intercooler, Dave F airbox (not sure how easy it is to get hold of these any more), couple of other small tweaks but not major ones. 1320Mini is the place to go if you don't want to have to do it all yourself!

Bit late now but careful with grinders on bodywork, you don't want to take the galvanising off.....

maldren said:
Bit late now but careful with grinders on bodywork, you don't want to take the galvanising off.....

Agreed! No damage to any painted bodywork, I'm quite steady with a grinder for cleaning!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back