Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 C4S 1 month in and ongoing build

Installed the spacers today - 7mm front and 15mm rear hubcentric items.

To be honest i think i'd subconsciously set my expectations too high (having read a couple of threads where folk had said that they improved the stance so much that lowering springs may not even be needed). So, after the instal i was a touch neutral on them, and a touch 'ooh is the rear a tiny bit chav now?'!

They are however growing on me quickly - the view from the rear is very cool, and the vantage point from my front door as i look out on the car (as i do every day) offers a very nice angle. Pictures of those angles below let me know what you think! (loving the decline LEDS more than ever too!)

I do think that one or maybe even both of Aero Bumper and TechArt springs are required to get the car ad i'd like. Not sure which one to do first - opinions welcome!

Attachments

• img_4954_116.jpg
    img_4954_116.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 4,004
  • img_4960_716.jpg
    img_4960_716.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 4,004
I've been saving spacers for when my tyres are next due. Perhaps the photos exaggerate the look, but I think they look great.

Edit: Did you get round to selling your resonator delete kit?

that wasn't me selling the resonator - im keeping mine and the BMC filter. Best mod ive done. I think it was another chap up top selling it so maybe dm him?
cheers

tom_nieto said:
I've been saving spacers for when my tyres are next due. Perhaps the photos exaggerate the look, but I think they look great.

Edit: Did you get round to selling your resonator delete kit?

Im really enjoying the spacers and rear LEDS, and from some angles (like those below), i'm pretty happy with the looks of the car.

I also 'pears soaped' my seats followed by some autoglym leather cream. Not sure if any of you have used the pears method before, but it really brings back the matt soft finish of leather - my 12 year old seats have been transformed!

Im struggling to decide on the techarts in the group buy. I think the car would definitely look better a bit lower, but the ride is so perfect im a bit nervous about it. Also, the springs, fitting, geo seem to be +£1k and thats getting close to aero bumper territory... decisions decisions.

Im also going to take a look at the front dectanes like you had Phil - they look vey nice indeed - can I ask where you got yours? I'm also going to research those gt2 side skirts you mentioned.

Anyway, some pics > >

Attachments

• img_5064_779.jpg
    img_5064_779.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 3,773
  • img_5102_167.jpg
    img_5102_167.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 3,773
Latest mod installed today - led running lights at the front. Like the rears, I think these are a vast improvement on the gen1 units and I'm very pleased!

Next new small mod is going to be black headlight washers - I'm sure I can just 3m wrap them so will see how that goes before buying black oem ones.

After that, I think I've decided to keep the PASM stock ride height as the spacers have made all the difference. Pretty much decided to get the aero bumper as the next mod, but will need to save a bit for that.

Attachments

• 02676de3_72e8_4517_a366_2a106724f7c7_145.jpeg
    02676de3_72e8_4517_a366_2a106724f7c7_145.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 3,608
Excellent ownership thread!

What is pear soaping? Do you have pictures of your leather treatment results?? I want to do mine but I'm wary of not doing it properly. Did you do the dash and door cards etc?

Lordjimimac said:
Latest mod installed today - led running lights at the front. Like the rears, I think these are a vast improvement on the gen1 units and I'm very pleased!

Next new small mod is going to be black headlight washers - I'm sure I can just 3m wrap them so will see how that goes before buying black oem ones.

After that, I think I've decided to keep the PASM stock ride height as the spacers have made all the difference. Pretty much decided to get the aero bumper as the next mod, but will need to save a bit for that.

Same car and similar thoughts. I would like to fit the aero front bumper and GTS side sills in time but I've decided to go with the TECHART lowering springs first. It will be interesting to see where we both end up with our cars.

Black OEM headlight washers! Do you have a part number and price? Getting rid of the chrome is on the 'to do" list.

Check this out - https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/best-thing-to-clean-leather.177729/

- Get some pears soap, five micro fiber cloths, a bottle of water, and some high quality leather creme (I use autoglym)

- moisten the seat a little and rub with soap creating lather. Not much water needed - just enough to keep things slippery

- work around the seat

- wipe off lather with one microfibre. Wet another, and rub seat with that to rinse soap off.

- dry with other micro fiber

- apply leather product with new micro fiber, wait 10 mins, then wipe off with another clean towel

You will then have beautifully non-shiney, nice and matte, soft clean seats.

Cheers
James

The return of Marty Wild said:

What is pear soaping? Do you have pictures of your leather treatment results?? I want to do mine but I'm wary of not doing it properly. Did you do the dash and door cards etc?

SJD said:
Lordjimimac said:

Same car and similar thoughts. I would like to fit the aero front bumper and GTS side sills in time but I've decided to go with the TECHART lowering springs first. It will be interesting to see where we both end up with our cars.

Black OEM headlight washers! Do you have a part number and price? Getting rid of the chrome is on the 'to do" list.

Thanks for the compliment - glad you enjoy the banter. Not sure of part number but you can get them here - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7HCC.html

SJD said:
Lordjimimac said:

Thanks for the compliment - glad you enjoy the banter. Not sure of part number but you can get them here - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7HCC.html

Check this out - https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/best-thing-to-clean-leather.177729/

- Get some pears soap, five micro fiber cloths, a bottle of water, and some high quality leather creme (I use autoglym)

- moisten the seat a little and rub with soap creating lather. Not much water needed - just enough to keep things slippery

- work around the seat

- wipe off lather with one microfibre. Wet another, and rub seat with that to rinse soap off.

- dry with other micro fiber

- apply leather product with new micro fiber, wait 10 mins, then wipe off with another clean towel

You will then have beautifully non-shiney, nice and matte, soft clean seats.

Cheers
James

The return of Marty Wild said:

A tiny, cheap, but very pleasing mod completed this weekend - black headlight washer covers!

As the tiny black headwater parts were +£50, and they are really very simple I thought I'd 3M wrap them in gloss black (having successfully wrapped some indicators covers on my M3).

The process is simple:

- pull up jets and squeeze to remove
- cut 10x10cm square of 3M vinyl wrap
- tape it sticky side up on the top of a kitchen roll tube
- heat with hairdryer
- immerse silver jet in the material (easiest to mount washer on pen or something)
- push as deep as possible to cover as much of the component as poss
- Pull the semi wrapped part out and stretch and nurse it to cover the whole piece
- trim with very sharp craft knife, tucking some wrap round to the inside of the component
- put back on car and feel smug that 5 minutes work has made a nice difference and saved £50

Attachments

• img_5374_1_508.jpg
    img_5374_1_508.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 3,308
  • img_5374_200.jpg
    img_5374_200.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,308
  • img_5341_140.jpg
    img_5341_140.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 3,308
  • img_5339_565.jpg
    img_5339_565.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 3,308
  • img_5338_711.jpg
    img_5338_711.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 3,308
quick note to mention that I ended up following your lead and getting the techart springs.share pics when yours are fitted, and NB my post on wrapping the chrome washer covers - easy peasy and they look great

SJD said:
Lordjimimac said:

I start to think about the TB and plenum, but the internet is very undecided on the difference they make - all I care about is mid range punch and response - in your opinion do they make a worthwhile difference to that? Big thanks
Thefinn said:
Nice write up lordjm and a great choice of car you have there. You do have a nice set of mods on the list there but adding to that I would go for a BMC filter as a quick cheap win, then onto a 82mm tb and plenum to free up some restriction and the dsc pasm controller to sort your suspension. From there I would then go onto the other mods Phil has suggested depending on how far you want to take it as it's your family car as well. :thumb:

Hi all,

Can't believe I've owned the car for a year and a half! I've enjoyed that time immensely and think I'll be keeping this one.
I've had a few maintenance jobs since the last update - a cv boot, door regulators, and a couple of noisy pulleys replaced while being serviced.

The main update though, is the refresh of the suspension and fitting of the techart springs. The car had new shocks and a lot of new front suspension parts as part of the pre purchase prep at Gt One. I just had new rear wishbones and other worn parts replaced, along with the springs, followed by a full geo / wheel alignment to stock settings.

I pondered the fitting of the springs for months - fearful of it being too low, and also tbh because of the not insignificant cost of getting them done. In the end, I viewed the job as a mid life suspension refresh rather than spring fit and resolved my conscience with that!

Anyway - the results..

- the car handles and corners superbly now. It was great before, but it's tighter and feels more direct
- the ride is just a subtle as stock
- the non-pasm cornering is much better that stick. Tightened up nicely
- I went from a base e90 m3 to a Comp pack one (that has different -10mm springs) and this feels very similar to that progression
- finally, the big one - the appearance. The car looks much better. Have to say I was 'almost' disappointed by how marginal the difference was on the pasm c4s but the plus side is that it looks very oem, and actually I think it's pretty much perfect. I'll try and take some better pics but here are a couple to convey the gist

Would I recommend getting them fitted? If I take coat out of the equation it's a 100% yes. the springs, fitting, and geo add up to be quite a cost and it does feel a huge cost for such a marginal gain. But as mentioned, if you are either 1) loaded or 2) 'in there' getting worn suspension refreshed then it's well worth it

What's next?

I don't love the Sport Design wheels - I don't dislike them, but they have never been my choice. So I'll be changing those this year.
My options are either:
- Lobster Claws (has these on my 997 and still think one of the best wheels)
- Carrera Sports (probably my number 1 choice)
- oz superleggera or BBS CHRs

If any of you have a widebody set of these and/or fancy a swap for mine (with cash for gap) then shout!

Cheers,
James

Attachments

• 65c1b70e_3140_4395_9138_40061250fe86_984.jpeg
    65c1b70e_3140_4395_9138_40061250fe86_984.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 2,120

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard