Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PGD's 997.1 C2S

PGD

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the Porsche camp, and have this. A 997.1 C2S in Manual with 86k. I've done it again, buying a car with higer milage than I'd like, but with the right spec!

Porsche-997-lightpaint by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

As I say, the spec seemed pretty good (to me), which sold it to me. But on further inspection, it seems the car had been a little neglected :(

I am quite a tinkerer, and have done a lot of the work myself. Lot's of reading on here and a few posts have really helped, many thanks for that!

So, here's what's been done to it in the first 3 months of ownership:

New battery fitted when buying the car

Borescope done with good results (by Revolution in Leeds)

Front coolant hoses replaced
Rear hose joints were cut and sleeved to prevent dropping the engine.
New rear brake discs
New front brake caliper hard pipes
NS front brake flexi pipe replaced (as it was siezed to the caliper hard pipe)
New brake pads all round
Brake fluid changed

1 cut rear hose by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

Front Top mounts
Bump stops
New Michelin Sport 4S tyres allround (rears were needed, but I went for the full set)
Wheel alignment

Alternator refurbed as it was whining
New Starter cable (in the hope it improves hot starts, I think it has, but it's still turns over slower than a normal car)
New drive belt
Coil pack heat shields fitted (they were both missing)

Oil breather hose (from AOS to inlet was very brittle, pos cracked pushing oily mist onto the outside of the inlet):
4 oil misting on inlet 997.1 by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

Oil change for Mobil 1 0/40
Bosch Oil filter
Bosch Cabin filter
Magnetic sump plug

All Undertrays removed, cleaned both them and the underside of the car and refitted.

Cleaned everywhere I could see tbh :D
2 bulkhead before and after by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

Those pully's really do store some dirt up!
3 pullys collect dirt by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

So with all that, it's time to get out and drive it! And it feels good, like a different car, but not quite a new car as you'd expect. A good chunk of this may well be placebo, but knowing I've gone through the car inspecting, cleaning and replacing all of this stuff helps put the mind at rest.

It drives so much better with the tyres and wheel alignment sorted. Much more planted in the corners!

I did disconnect the PSE so it's a little louder all the time too :) I cant move the car without opening the windows to listen to it! It does sound soo good!

The car did come with the optional 'Porsche paranoia' too! The constant fear of the big issues seems to envelop these cars! Internet land certainly doesn't help with that. I'll drive it for a bit, then go on the read of another horror stories and the fear comes straight back!

I really need to take more 'After' pics! :D

Nice write up Phil, agreed the internet stories make you think we are all doomed :grin: there are things that can be done to minimise risks . you have done the first which is get the car scoped so you know you have a good starting point. yours is newer than 06 so will have the better IMS so thats not a worry. you have already done the mag sump plug so other things to consider.

as your on 89k I would change to at minimum 5w50 or preferably 10w50 oil. Hartech do reccomend Millers nano plus oil but many stick with mobil but use a thicker oil . change the oil at min every 10k or yearly.
fit a low temp thermostat £50/60
dont drive it over 3k revs until fully warmed up.
drive it and enjoy it dont make it a garage queen as it seems that the regularly driven cars are less problematic than garage queens .

I am sure there are other things that others will mention but just to reassure you I had my 06 gen1 for 4.5 years it was a tip :eek: so even more likely to blow up according to the net :grin: I did 50k miles in that time selling it with 89k on the clock it was scoped at sale and clean as a whistle. So honestly if you follow the advise offered from the likes of Hartech and others we are not all Doomed :grin: :grin: :thumb:

You've got a lovely looking 57 plate car with a clean borescope. Go drive the nuts off it.

Excellent reply as always Phil :worship:

So I need 'Millers nano plus oil 10/50' next - no problem :thumb:
I've just put millers gear oil in the Track car actually. I'll leave that change until next year, so I can check the sump plug as well.

Plus a low temp thermostat - are these direct from Hartech? And is it possible to refil and bleed the coolant on these cars yourself? I seems some do it, but internet land says you need a bleed tool to suck all the air out.

Ownership of this car is like a rollercoaster! One min loving it, the next I'm thinking it's about the blow up - endlessly! :dont know:

So a bit of background on me..

My daily driver - an MX5! With 175k on the clock! :D Still runs and drives very well, and is still extremely reliable!
Black MK3 MX5 - Sun flare by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

and there's another 'toy' car in the garage :D
Roadrunner SR2 by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

Cracking photos there Phil G. Enjoy the car!
Incidentally, what rear discs did you go for, and which pads? The rear discs on mine are a bit rusted on the inside. It passed the MOT fine, but my OCD is nagging at me to replace them - and pads, of course.
Regards, Mike.

I bought my 2008 Gen 1 3.8 PSE etc cab last year, 43k miles. Saw it in the show room, loved it. Haggled for an hour over the last 500 quid and did the deal. I don't think I'm stupid but I never really did the research on the engine other than knowing the IMS was not a risk of significance. The car had £8k spent on it in the previous year, tyres, coil packs, battery, battery alternator cable, refinished sports wheels, discs and pads all round, roof re finished, Major service etc etc. Then Bore scoring suddenly appeared on the internet horizon, a bit of panic set in, tissues on long screw drivers checking for carbon in the exhausts, listening to the engine for ticking, oil Consumption etc. No evidence of an issue.

20 months later it's just great, changed the condensers and a minor service later, uses no oil and is a pleasure to drive.

Maybe I was naive and lucky at the same time but either way it will be driven, cared for and repaired as needed. £34k certainly doesn't buy a lot these days when looking for a special sports car, this feels like great value and even more fun.

I noticed mine turned over slowly when I first took it out prior to purchase, There was a huge difference after the cable change, very noticeable and problem was resolved.

Nice work and congratulations on the new car.

You can change the thermostat on the car and refill without a pump you just have to follow a certain process of running and reving to get the air out of the system. It tell you how to do it in this manual with is worth buying if you like to tinker yourself.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/10...d-997-1998-2008/wayne-r-dempsey/9780760344033

There is also quite a few good guides on pelican parts site

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...TER-Water_Pump_and_Thermostat_Replacement.htm

Good luck and keep up the thread

:thumb:

Here's one for the doom mongers: how much difference does a low temperature thermostat actually make for road use if the oil is changed yearly and topped up properly? There is going to be vulnerability in cylinder 6 regardless of the thermostat due to the oil circulation within the engine. Similar story for the third radiator.

More viscous oil for an older engine I can see the merit of. Surely we just need to start embracing our sandals like our air cooled friends and start warming up the cars properly and expecting to be bent over every few years for a full engine rebuild?

Anyway, my first point stands - you have a clean borescope on a late gen 1 car which don't suffer so much with IMS problems. You have gone over it with a fine toothed comb. You should stop worrying and drive your beautiful 911.

Edit - you can come and take a photo of mine any time by the way, great shot!

Counter Of Beans said:
Cracking photos there Phil G. Enjoy the car!
Incidentally, what rear discs did you go for, and which pads? The rear discs on mine are a bit rusted on the inside. It passed the MOT fine, but my OCD is nagging at me to replace them - and pads, of course.
Regards, Mike.
Sorry Mike, I missed this question earlier. I went for discs from gsfcarparts actually, as they beat the price of everyone else and had them in stock. Pads are cheap APEC versions too, £48 per axle. Reason being is I have them in all of the other cars and they work well, and dont squeak. I can't say if they work as well or better than other porsche parts tbh, but they do work better than the eurocarparts pads which were on the car (though that may be down to the worn discs aswell)

Anyway, we did a 300 mile round trip in the car at the weekend, over the Yorkshire Dales and into the Lake District - and the car was awesome! Absolutely superb. Even in the torrential rain and high winds, the car was still very good. The Michelin's were great throughout, coping with everything without any fuss.

Imagine this going on for miles :D
road shot by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

Looks like your getting on with a few well chosen mods Phil. and even better to see your driving it and enjoying it. you are up to speed now on how to minimise risks so its right to enjoy the car . by the way I drove 50k in 4.5 years in my 06 gen1 scoped it when selling and it was clean as a whistle on 89k and you will hear lots of similar stories, just most dont shout about it across the net like the 5% do :thumb: :thumb:

although this was a funny thread on the 996 sub forum

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=130244

Some time ago I knocked this little photoshop up of the car with tinted windows, red rear lights and darker wheels..

Porsche C2S by Phil Grayston, on Flickr

I've now done the windows and lights (all with tint film) and I think it looks much better.

Also had the Carrera badge off and had that painted Matt black

Over the winter I bought an orbital polisher, from Argos! and polished all the paint work up. It's made a massive difference, and removed all minor scratches and swirl marks.

That silhouette though..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back