Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LWFW and Wavetrac LSD?

blanc

Hi All,

I am looking at this setup for my 2002 C2. Has anyone here experience of this setup ?

Interested to hear people's views on wither product. RPM Tecknik CSR seem to use both as do Sharkwerks US

good combo, have this on my 993

rears now dont spin up as much and the gear change seems better
no actual performance difference but a god upgrade

LWFW

I can't comment on the LSD, but I've had a LWFW on my 2003 C2 for the past 7-8 years with no issues whatsoever. The rev pickup & rev match ability is amazing & the car is noticeably quicker in the first couple of gears (I'd say 0.5 sec quicker 0-60mph). If you can put up with a little bit of a gear chatter at traffic lights, but easily solved by resting your hand & push forward on the gear knob slightly, or clutch pressed in. It's hardly noticeable anyway. The other downside could be is that there is also a little chatter at high gear low rev pickup, but one should be in the right gear to accelerate anyway... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blanc, if you search you will find info on the LWFW.

Feedback is polarizing, nobody disputes the benefit in performance, however some believe it can cause the crankshaft to fail and to avoid this the clutch flywheel and crank should be balanced as a unit, to achieve this the crank needs to be removed from the car.

I do not yet have a LWFW, but have been looking into it and will have one fitted when my engine is upgraded this winter. - Hartech mentioned that they feel reducing the weight of the flywheel on the crankshaft can only be a good thing, but that it needs to be balanced and from what I can gather 9E & RPM think the same, however as with every upgrade there are those that disagree.

Szlard, did you have you LWFW balanced with the crank etc?

Wavetrack is an ATB not an LSD, if you google the difference between ATB & LSD the differences will be explained. - Both have pro's & con's.

The Wavetrack ATB claims to be able to help a little under breaking, where other ATB's, Quaife as an example do not.

Does your car have PSM?

Personally I do not feel a 996 struggles for traction on track, perhaps a little out of slow corners where you can spin up the unload wheel, but its not significant and IMHO this is not something i have ever noticed on the road.

Due to this I have procrastinated about the benefits of an ATB, the rear of the car moves around more under braking so I feel a plate LSD would be beneficial in alleviating this but that brings a heap of additional maintenance issues, ATB is maintenance free.

I appreciate all of the above does not answer your questions but I hope it at least provides a little more info.

As a side note, the cheapest way to add performance and improve braking & handling is to remove weight.

Crash7 to be honest with you I'm not quite sure if it was balanced with the crank out or not, but the Guys who did it they fitted it with a new clutch & they are very experienced on Porkers so I would of thought so. As I say no issues whatsoever in about 8 years or so. I did read up on it at the time as much as I could, but as you say there are conflicting views about it. I could be just lucky... :grin: :grin: :grin:

I've got an OEM LSD in my car - not the most aggressive setup mind you.

I'm going to go for a LWFW in my rebuild, I'm also moving to an EN40B crankshaft and fitting an additional bearing directly behind the flywheel to better support the weight there/prevent the crank bending which is what wears the main bearings in a standard engine.

I've got the rpm lwfw they use in the csr in my car along with the sprung clutch they sell too
And absolutely love it
Where abouts are you based? If your close your welcome to pop round and see what you think of it :thumb:

Mine wasn't balanced when fitted
But let's be honest how balanced would my knackered dual mass of been?
And it's been fitted about 2 years now

From the feedback on this thread and the additional internet research it seems that the vast majority of feedback on a LWFW is very positive, from what I can find there have been no LWFW issues in the UK

On this basis I am definitely pulling the trigger! :thumb:

crash7 said:
From the feedback on this thread and the additional internet research it seems that the vast majority of feedback on a LWFW is very positive, from what I can find there have been no LWFW issues in the UK

On this basis I am definitely pulling the trigger! :thumb:

:stay: Looking forward to this :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back