Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen washers

Allan E

Monza
The near side screen washer appears to have stopped working, fearful of trying too hard to remove it from the bonnet, so can someone advise me the correct way to free it.
I have checked that the jets are clear so the blockage may be in the water tubing.
Anything else that I need to look for?

Hi Allan,

I had problems with both of my windscreen washers. It turned out to be as a result of lack of use and a build up of dried polish over the nozzles.

As you only have a problem with one nozzle, the blocked one will not be purged by using the pump. I wonder how you might have tried to clear the nozzle? I used the narrowest needle in my 'darning kit'. I also put hot water into the reservoir after I had drained it of the cold water and de-icer. Cleared the problem but not sure which of the two did the trick.

I'm sure the hot water helped to dissolve any waxing or polish in the nozzle.

Hope this helps. I hear your car looked stunning at Whitley Bay!

Cheers, Keith.

Screen washers

Hi Keith, I should have added that the headlight jets are working fine, with plenty pressure as is the offside screen jets. I used a very fine needle to clear any crap, the needle had no resistance suggesting it was clear.
I may try blocking all jets except the non working one and hope it clears when operating the washer.
Very enjoyable day at Whitley Bay after an early shower, only two Porsche's there, mine and a 997 cabriolet in yellow.

If you push the nozzle from the rear under the hood (ooo err missus) by applying firm pressure you can tilt the washer up at the rear as this is where the retaining clip is........do not use a screwdriver.

Soak it in warm water and gently blow it to clear ........I am still talking about the nozzle.

Screen washers

Many thanks Colin, attempt that asap.

In the past I have found 'waggling the pipe work' under the hood, just before it joins the jets can restore full operation. It appears to sometimes get enough of a kink in it to reduce or stop flow.

jkeith said:
I had problems with both of my windscreen washers. It turned out to be as a result of lack of use and a build up of dried polish over the nozzles.

In future it may be best to ask the MOT tester to 'test' operation of screen washer several times instead of the once a year function :thumb:

993tt said:
In the past I have found 'waggling the pipe work' under the hood, just before it joins the jets can restore full operation. It appears to sometimes get enough of a kink in it to reduce or stop flow.

Found the problem, slid the washer jet out and approx. three inches back the pipe was creased at 90 degrees. Due to its age the pipe was very hard so after clamping it over the crease with a ratchet clamp and leaving it overnight it has straightened it enough to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back