Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

I'd be interested in the miltek box's if your contemplating selling them on MC, I'm on the quest for an exhaust.

Nothing much has happened in the last fortnight with me being away from the garage.

The two rear brake pipes have both been changed at some point in the past for copper ones. The nearside one got damaged when I was taking off the flexible brake pipe but I want to put an original one back on anyway as it is pretty easy. I will also do the offside one but that will have to wait until the engine is out.

Underneath a plastic cover about 2/3 of the way down the car is an aluminium joining block which joins the front front section of pipe to the rear. Unbolt it from the chassis and undo the pipe from here.

I'm also getting ready to do the underseal and cavity protection. The products have arrived, I am just waiting for a welding job to be finished first.

I don't expect to use all of this on this car, but it would be good to do my C2 as well at some point.

MC

Blimey, it goes quite along way you know, you could do a few cars with that lot!

maldren said:
Blimey, it goes quite along way you know, you could do a few cars with that lot!

It should do given what it costs. I've got two other 911s, a BMW, and an old Merc which would no doubt benefit from the treatments, so it will get used.

MC

Doing a fleet, now I understand!

Mike

MisterCorn said:
Both rear subframes are off but three of the eccentric bolts were seized in the arms. So on to the bench vise with a hacksaw to cut them off. I managed to get in just at the edge of the arms so that I didn't have to cut through the whole arm, being careful not to cut in to the subframe at all.

The toe arm was the worst to get in to.

Then on to removing the back boxes and heatshields. I had to undo the three nuts which hold the bracket to the engine for the back box.

I have seen this before, the bolts for the back box here are put in from the top, if they were put in from the bottom they could very easily be removed without the trouble of getting at three awkward nuts.

I can now get on with cleaning up this back area of the car, de-rusting and protecting. One of the studs for the heatshield snapped off, I'll have to look at how best to replace them.

MC

I looked at this post in order to find some solace as I face into cutting out the track/toe arm bolt, having spent the guts of 2 hours cutting out the coffin arm bolt with the sub frame in the car... on a gravel drive way... in the dark.. with a gale force wind...

Now all i'm thinking is what kind of hell am I in for if the man doing it on a bench in a nice workshop says the track/toe arm was the worst

:sad:

Thanks for the very useful posts and photos MC. They really do help.

Good luck. I did my rear coffin arms over the weekend. Bolts were totally seized and it took both a reciprocating saw and a grider to cut them out. I got to install my CLR modified coffin arms and things are improved. I'm also one of only three people who can say they have ELA/CLR developed parts on their car, which makes me very happy.

Lower brackets for the centre radiator finished, they need painting now along with a bunch of other bits.

MC

CAD model has been made for the bracket which will hold the solenoid to control flow to the centre radiator.

Next job is to make it in steel.

MC

Bracket made up for the centre radiator flow controller. The radiator brackets have been acid dipped to get all of the rubbish powder coating off them, so a load of painting ready to do now.

There were a couple of bits of rust hidden away at the back of the car behind the bumper, these have now been dealt with.

POR15 has arrived ready for going over the sections where they has been evidence of light surface rust before going over with underseal.

MC

POR15 is great, my 996 doesn't need it but I'm restoring my old Lotus Elan +2 and it does a great job, especially with their chassis black as a top coat where the paint is exposed to UV.

It sticks to anything and worked brilliantly on plated calipers where Hammerite completely failed to stick and flaked off.

I've also found that Acetone (used as a solvent for fibreglass resin) cleans brushes.

Mike

Will do.

Various parts stripped and cleaned, ready for painting

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back