Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TinRobots 996 996 C4S

Well done with such tasteful mods on a stunning car. I may have missed it in your thread but a short shifter would definitely be on my list. A 996 C4S was the first Porsche I ever sat in and drove. I still look for that same car and would buy it in a heart beat.

msaif996 said:
Well done with such tasteful mods on a stunning car. I may have missed it in your thread but a short shifter would definitely be on my list. A 996 C4S was the first Porsche I ever sat in and drove. I still look for that same car and would buy it in a heart beat.

Thanks - yes the car has a short shifter. It was put in before I got it but it makes gear changes really nice.

A bit of an update -

I don't like anything being wrong with my cars (before I had a word with myself I nearly got the brake callipers redone because two of the Porsche transfers are fading!).

In the last 500 miles it has developed a small oil leak. RMS seal by the looks of things.

So while I'm* in there I have decided to change the clutch and upgrade the IMS. Very nervous on the IMS front and I am in two minds if just to remove the dust cover or do the whole thing). Clutch wise I have decided not to go to single flywheel because I never track it and I don't want anything to harm the engine across the long term. Prefer not to have a rebuild for some years yet (although I am starting to draw a wishlist!).

Going to change the mount bushes at the same time. Keeping those stock as Ive heard bad things about vibration on some after market ones.

Another expensive month.....

*the garage

Very nice C4S!

I like your approach although as you have learnt it can get very expensive and very quickly..

Hi, love a 996 C4S and yours looks a well sorted example. (I had one myself for 10 years).

Don't know if you have considered, the differences between the 2 front lip spoilers C4S v's the Turbo one you have fitted, but I remember back in the day there were a few discussions about the implications of fitting the turbo lip spoiler to a C4S due to the differences in the rear spoilers between the 2 models (C4S one not deploying until 78mph, the turbo having the fixed spoiler, etc..) and the fact Porsche obviously did a lot of R&D on airflow so mixing the 2 might cause some instability?

I think its probably not an issue at UK motorway speeds but something to be aware of.

Agree aesthetically turbo one looks great on your car.

Another expensive day

The RMS seal had developed a very small leak so it was time to nip that in the bud.

I took it to Quorn Classics and must say I was very impressed with the service.

Asked Nathan and Carl to take a good look at it and ANYTHING that they thought needed doing should be reported.

They confirmed the RMS seal was going and a couple of other seals (crank seal and timing chain tensioner gasket) in the area were also starting to corrode/leak so they got changed at the same time. Showing that extra bit of service they had a good look at the brake lines and reported it to be fine apart from on one clip where it had slightly corroded. They rubbed that down and repainted it and so I now won't need to bother with lines for "a good few years yet".

Not wanting to get the transmission out again anytime soon they also replaced the clutch. It really didn't need doing but it had started to wear so why not?

The difference it has made is incredible - now feels like a new car, esp with the short shifter the gears are slick and bang on. Can't get the grin off my face.

So that left the IMS. Yes the cover could just be removed and once out tbh it looked perfect (as I would expect as it gets well serviced). However it wasn't a huge deal to change it for a new and "improved" version (not a ceramic one). So that was swapped. If I ever do sell then that will give confidence to the buyer and I now know it is all sorted.

So a nice chunk of work:

They seemed impressed at how well the water beaded and said it was one of the best examples they had seen and would be at "the top end of the market". That makes me chuffed.

Cost?

£1596

This brings my running total to £11,702.19 since purchase and £14,118 since May 2013. Average of £2823 per annum. This year has been rather exceptional at £6067.

So mechanically it wants for nothing and should now be sorted for many years if I keep it stock.

So guess bodywork next. Although it is very good stonechips etc get me down. If I win another client on my subscription platform I think I may celebrate with getting that done next ....

Just a quick update - this month my car appears in 911 and Porsche World Magazine. (Purple Haze front cover)

Author (cmoose) preferred the C2 overall but it is a good and fair write up and plays to the strengths of the car. Think he was impressed by the condition of mine.

Apart from that I have got it booked in to retro fit cruise control and then it is just a case of getting it booked in for a bit of paint around the front. After that it is near enough perfect and certainly wants for nothing.

Only a few 996 C4S at Ragley Hall Concours events. One stood out - a black one with private plate. Some very ropey 996s out there - even at events like that. Was good to see a 996 being judged though (gorgeous C2).

It isn't getting out much now due to me having a little side project bringing an ultra low mileage Mark 5 Golf GTI up to scratch/showroom condition. Parts are much cheaper! Keeping it totally stock except Sat Nav/ Carplay. Bought from a Porsche enthusiast as well.

'Only a few 996 C4S at Ragley Hall Concours events.'

Well, according to an earlier post if you drive a C4S for more than a few miles the engine falls to bits!!

PS I was there :thumb:

bakerboy4s said:
'Only a few 996 C4S at Ragley Hall Concours events.'

Well, according to an earlier post if you drive a C4S for more than a few miles the engine falls to bits!!

PS I was there :thumb:

That is true. I now have a team of engineers with a van load of spare engines follow me everywhere just in case. My trip to Stuttgart for example, that took a great deal of planning and I had engines shipped ahead in strategic places - Ghent, Frankfurt and then Stuttgart.

Us Porsche drivers must be careful.

really nice car, and I'm a bit late to this thread. Do you have some more details about the audio upgrade? I have got the standard 6 speaker non-Bose set up. Replaced the dash-top speakers already but not the door or rears. Running an Alpine IVA-W505 and not sure if this is running through the standard amp or not.

+1 I would also be interested in this, I have the six-speaker layout with the factory/Nokia amp and a Becker head-unit.

lofi said:
really nice car, and I'm a bit late to this thread. Do you have some more details about the audio upgrade? I have got the standard 6 speaker non-Bose set up. Replaced the dash-top speakers already but not the door or rears. Running an Alpine IVA-W505 and not sure if this is running through the standard amp or not.

Sorry Lofi - missed this.

Hertz speakers were second hand from a member on here. Cross overs for the front, amp behind the frunk and Alpine in the back. I want to add a small sub at some point. When/If the Tesla turns up I will replace the head unit with the Pioneer 203 DAB I have just put in my Golf resto project.

Any questions please ask.

While I'm here a bit of an update.

I am thinking of selling up in the UK so the car may need to go in 2019/20.

Going to finish the project - paintwork around front needs sorting - but if someone came in with the right number then I think I would let it go.

INWB said:
lofi said:

Sorry Lofi - missed this.

Hertz speakers were second hand from a member on here. Cross overs for the front, amp behind the frunk and Alpine in the back. I want to add a small sub at some point. When/If the Tesla turns up I will replace the head unit with the Pioneer 203 DAB I have just put in my Golf resto project.

Any questions please ask.

Thanks - I'm most interested in what you swapped the door speakers for as the originals seem to have an odd impedance, though I guess if the amp is changed along with them it doesn't matter so much. Would be great to know the model of door speakers you went for as I think these are key for a good sound if like me there is no rear sub.

INWB said:
Just a quick update - this month my car appears in 911 and Porsche World Magazine. (Purple Haze front cover)

Author (cmoose) preferred the C2 overall but it is a good and fair write up and plays to the strengths of the car. Think he was impressed by the condition of mine.

I must admit, I think cmoose was right :grin:

This C4S is easily the best one I've ever seen. A buyer would struggle to do better.

Jpitshanger said:
This C4S is easily the best one I've ever seen. A buyer would struggle to do better.

Thanks fella

Re the Hertz speakers. I have just spent 20 mins going through my pics and I can't find the damn photo I took of the model numbers. Very sorry. I bought the set from Mazza in June 2016 so he may know!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back