Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Picking her up from Hartech today..... Advice Pls.

911DG

Hi Guys

Hope everyone is well. So, after 2.5 months or near enough im picking her up today after the full rebuild - cant wait to get my hands on it - she's been sorely missed.

So, some questions for y'all:

1 - only 40,000 on the clock and i want to look after her now for obvious reasons. I dont have a garage and she's not under shelter. I have another car to run about in. Do i cover her up for winter, perhaps run her once every 2 weeks or so or maybe once a month, or not at all until Spring - and if so is a cover enough to keep the elements off, do i need a trickle charger (assume impossible outside) etc etc.

2 - run her everyday as my daily but most of that is just to and from the station which seems a waste and a lot of stop starting for almost zero miles.

3 - what else?

ANY advice to avoid issues / total engine failures / IMS ***** happening again etc etc etc would be Ace. I have a 2k Audi A4 and have NO such concerns - im quite sure it will sit outside and just work.

Cheers guys

Dan :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I drive mine everyday, no journey too short, and it is still working at 60k miles, 13 years old.

When you don't use it is when the problems start, IMO.

I too do not have any garage space after converting my garage into a gym. I bought an outdoor Carcoon for the winter months. Not blown it up yet to check it out because I have the Gundo hack being done to the car later in the month before I put her away for the harshest winter months.

It was about £5-600 quid and keeps the car in perfect condition and battery topped up via intergrated trickle charger. I think the only thing that can trip it up is heavy snow effectively weighing down on the bubble, so just need to scrape snow off it if we get another snow storm this year.

P.S. the 997 is not my only car (I have a cheap old Jag for big mileage and winter months) so not ideal if you use it regularly.

https://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-double-skin-outdoor#intro

I just bought a Stormforce cover for the car as well since mine is a cab and had a leaky roof incident recently due to blocked drain holes, that seems like a viable thing to use as well for occasional use, but won't keep it dry like the Carcoon will, so I only plan to use that for when it's not in the bubble. https://www.stormcarcovers.co.uk/co...MI_oCci-vn3QIVBLvtCh3kDw-4EAAYASACEgLh7fD_BwE

I have used Stormforce covers - they work well when new but after two winters I find that they are shot and need to be replaced

Forgot to say....

Phil will be pleased - means that his car should move forward one step in the queue!

Mate I would drive the car every day..it's a 911.. it's the best car in the world.

Enjoy the car and put loads of miles on it

:thumbs:

Geezer 911 said:
Mate I would drive the car every day..it's a 911.. it's the best car in the world.

I Agree my friend - thats why they've been my daily drive for 15 years - never had to have another car.

However, this one just broke, like completely broke, as in knackered, couldn't drive it, ***** itself, fkkked - BROKE. Hence had to have a complete engine rebuild. Hence, my apprehension of using it as a daily now..........

In short, i LOVE it, but i've lost confidence in it. But i dont want to sell it, cause i love it.....

Im SURE im not alone.....

911DG said:
Geezer 911 said:

I Agree my friend - thats why they've been my daily drive for 15 years - never had to have another car.

However, this one just broke, like completely broke, as in knackered, couldn't drive it, ***** itself, fkkked - BROKE. Hence had to have a complete engine rebuild. Hence, my apprehension of using it as a daily now..........

In short, i LOVE it, but i've lost confidence in it. But i dont want to sell it, cause i love it.....

Did you not recieve any maintenance advice from your engine builder, Hartech?
I can't think of anyone better placed than them to offer the advice you are seeking.

What ever you decide,

don't start it unless you are going to drive it properly

911DG said:
Geezer 911 said:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Do Hartech put a warranty on their engine rebuilds?

911DG said:
Hi Guys

Hope everyone is well. So, after 2.5 months or near enough im picking her up today after the full rebuild - cant wait to get my hands on it - she's been sorely missed.

1 - only 40,000 on the clock and i want to look after her now for obvious reasons. I dont have a garage and she's not under shelter. I have another car to run about in. Do i cover her up for winter, perhaps run her once every 2 weeks or so or maybe once a month, or not at all until Spring - and if so is a cover enough to keep the elements off, do i need a trickle charger (assume impossible outside) etc etc.

2 - run her everyday as my daily but most of that is just to and from the station which seems a waste and a lot of stop starting for almost zero miles.

3 - what else?

ANY advice to avoid issues / total engine failures / IMS ***** happening again etc etc etc would be Ace. I have a 2k Audi A4 and have NO such concerns - im quite sure it will sit outside and just work.

Cheers guys

Hi Dan

I am in exactly the same situation as you, no garage, have another car to run around in as a daily etc. Also had a full Hartech rebuild last year and couldn't wait for the day I picked it up :thumb:

I think it's each to their own as to how people use their cars, personally I just don't understand tucking your car up for the winter and not using it! We have plenty dry sunny days in the winter that are great for a hoon around.

A regular squirt of ACF 50 on anything metallic you can get to (except brakes obviously) particularly in the engine bay and any hose joints will help keep the moisture at bay. Regular washing and topping up with a good wax will protect the paintwork.

Car covers can cause more harm than good if they aren't fitted properly, marking the paint. Regular use is the best way to keep the battery in good condition, a good run once a week is enough. Letting the car idle for long periods won't do the car any good at all, particularly after the rebuild. The engine needs to be run in properly using a variety of engine speeds, giving it a bit of welly now and again is good :thumb:

I have done about 7k since the rebuild and it gets better and better, felt a bit strange to start with but feels really tight and strong now!

So my advise would be to run it in over the autumn/winter on the nice dry sunny days ready for giving it the full bean when it gets warmer in the spring :thumb: :thumb:

DucatiRob said:
911DG said:
Hi Guys

3 - what else?

Cheers guys

Hi Dan

I am in exactly the same situation as you, no garage, have another car to run around in as a daily etc. Also had a full Hartech rebuild last year and couldn't wait for the day I picked it up :thumb:

I think it's each to their own as to how people use their cars, personally I just don't understand tucking your car up for the winter and not using it! We have plenty dry sunny days in the winter that are great for a hoon around.

A regular squirt of ACF 50 on anything metallic you can get to (except brakes obviously) particularly in the engine bay and any hose joints will help keep the moisture at bay. Regular washing and topping up with a good wax will protect the paintwork.

Car covers can cause more harm than good if they aren't fitted properly, marking the paint. Regular use is the best way to keep the battery in good condition, a good run once a week is enough. Letting the car idle for long periods won't do the car any good at all, particularly after the rebuild. The engine needs to be run in properly using a variety of engine speeds, giving it a bit of welly now and again is good :thumb:

I have done about 7k since the rebuild and it gets better and better, felt a bit strange to start with but feels really tight and strong now!

So my advise would be to run it in over the autumn/winter on the nice dry sunny days ready for giving it the full bean when it gets warmer in the spring :thumb: :thumb:

I LIKE this answer :) Ive Never treated any of mine any other way. Come rain or shine I've used em every day for 15 years.

SO - i'm gonna keep doing the same with this one. I guess it went Bang, its been fixed - I've got to move on and put my trust back in it.

I LOVE driving it - Love it. Such an incredible machine. Still, after 15 years, i get that feeling every time i get in it - they are Very Special cars.

Cheers for all the advice fellas.

Dan

Sometimes when I don't have the need to drive the 20 miles to work, I make sure I take the car out at least once a week for a long motorway blast.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back