Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 wheel replacement

If all goes well an hour or so should cover it. But life is never that simple eh ? Allow a couple of hours. I have plenty of coffee.

Sundayjumper said:
I'm free on Sat 6th if you want to pop over.

knw911 - that's a long drive ! You're welcome to come over but I'd feel bad if we couldn't get it working and you had a wasted journey. Weybridge is not so bad.

That's super generous... If you're sure I'd be happy to come over.

I wish you lot wouldnt keep talking about nice upgrades its getting too expensive!!

Paynewright said:
I wish you lot wouldnt keep talking about nice upgrades its getting too expensive!!

Check ebay - i got my wheel for £70 delivered.

Wheel - £70
Hub - £65
Horn brass connector - £15
pin 71 pin - £1
misc stuff £5

£156 ish - not too shabby that

Hi KNW,

I popped along to my local graphics place, A to Z stickers on Westgate Road, Newcastle. Any decent graphics place should have the various Porsche fonts though.

3mm high by 35mm long.

Get a couple as they're a bit fiddly to get spot on. :wink:

Good luck at the weekend chaps. That's a nice offer by SJ. :thumb:

Paynewright said:

I wish that they'd get a room :oops:

:grin:

ordered the last remaining parts. Hopefully they all arrive this week.

Sundayjumper said:
Did the bits arrive, do you still want to come over on Saturday ?

If the offer still stands, I'd like to get mine sorted.

Update -

So I have the wheel.
The hub is due to arrive this week.
The Porsche horn connector is due today, as is the pin 71.
The 2.7 ohm resistor arrived, but they sent the wrong one, a 4.7 arrived. So have ordered the right one.

My hope is it will all arrive in time, and if it does, then the offer of help on SAT AM would be most welcomed.

OH, and I've also ordered a bunch of the RED Porsche logo's that Marky911 used. I've got more than I needed as they had a min order qty, so will offer them up on here once I've got my hands on them,

I now have a working horn :)

Sundayjumper manged to sort mine in under an hour, with nothing more than a voltage tester and a bit of wire.

Makes excellent coffee too... and good chat about cars and life.

Massive thanks, Steve!

Intrigued to hear what the fix was - made a slip collar from wire that rides on the column and is attached to an earth?

It involved a lot of voltage meter work and short piece of wire. Beyond that I'm not sure as another 911 owner was there and we were chatting when he found the fix.

Maybe Steve would like to patent his fix and sell it to our Indy's!

Dammit said:
Intrigued to hear what the fix was - made a slip collar from wire that rides on the column and is attached to an earth?

Nope, just earthed the column properly.

Stotty's car presented exactly the same problem that mine did: the horn would work with the ignition off, but not when on. Provide a decent earth to the column and it's fine.

Now I'm just a spreadsheet jockey who plays with cars in his spare time, I'm not a professional at this, so I've no idea why Precision and GTOne couldn't figure it out when I solved it quite easily with a multimeter and something from my drawer of assorted lengths of wire :dont know:

I'll do Keith's one next, as soon as his bits turn up.

Attachments

• 84vg0d8nk3o11_165.jpg
    84vg0d8nk3o11_165.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,059

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back