Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Tidy

manners

Hi all,

Thought I would share some of the work that I have a carried out in an effort to clean up my 993 engine bay.

I guess most of us have been in a similar situation where you begin to fix one issue and things get out of hand...
So for me the issue that kicked things off were the lower valve covers leaking and a sticking starter motor.

Whilst having this work done I changed the HT leads, distributor caps and had the distributor rebuilt. With the alternator fan and fan housing removed I decided to have the housing powder coated a shade similar to the singer 911 cars I had seen at Heritage Autowerks.

The fan was replaced due to having a hairline crack in the base of one of the turbines. I went on to the changing the alternator brushes. Some pictures of before and after... I removed many of the plated parts and had them zinc plated.

20170816_122720.jpg

20180930_141306_0.jpg

20180622_104606.jpg

20180727_140935.jpg

20180726_173513.jpg

20180821_182725.jpg

20180821_182733.jpg

That's a tidy job

Well done :thumb:

Massive improvement and great attention to detail. :thumb:

Super work. :D

I had some plating done by Aerotec in Farnworth, which may be handy for you, Trev. It's an old fashioned backstreet sort of place.

Great job - before and after pictures really show the hard work involved! :thumb:

Nice ! I do like a well maintained and clean engine bay.
Got to give you kudos for the attention to detail. It really does show :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for kind words all, would definitely recommend checking any of the magnesium parts as they have tendency to corrode if the protective coating is stripped. Pleased with the results considering the car is a barely broken in example with 234k. :D

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Great work, who did your Zinc plating?, my pulleys are sat in a bag ready to go.

Cheers
Trev

Trev in terms of plating I used a local guy to me based in Maidenhead.
Ask for Steve if you need anything plated. He tends to do alot of the work for AutoFarm http://www.chingfordtec.co.uk/

andyobro said:
Looks epic. I plan on doing the same to mine. What colour code is the fan surround, looks spot on.

andyobro not sure on the colour code. I used the following company, it was the only bronze powder coat they had available off the shelf. http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/?doing_wp_cron=1538664098.9052510261535644531250

Great work Manners. Engine is out on mine at the mo, you're a bad man for planting these seeds :eek: .

On this subject has anyone managed to improve the look of the AC pump at all?, really spoils the engine bay on the 993. I've given mine a good wire brushing but still not great.

Any ideas?

Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
On this subject has anyone managed to improve the look of the AC pump at all?, really spoils the engine bay on the 993. I've given mine a good wire brushing but still not great.

Any ideas?

Trev

keep it hidden beneath the intercooler? :dont know:

:grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back