Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Guess what I drove my 996.1 all day today and nothing happen

Teffers said:
I'm currently at Spa, lots of laps this afternoon and drove here from lapping the Ring for three days. Heading to Zolder Wednesday before driving home to Coventry.

How much longer - in minutes - can I expect my engine to last?

Minutes? Your engine is clearly on borrowed time already. It's doomed, doomed I tell you! :floor:

Seriously, that sounds like a great trip, enjoy! :thumb:

Teffers said:
I'm currently at Spa, lots of laps this afternoon and drove here from lapping the Ring for three days. Heading to Zolder Wednesday before driving home to Coventry.

Everytime you post a photo Im so envious, love that colour.

I have just sold my 03 c4s after 4 years and 19000 miles in my ownership, during which time, apart from servicing, I had to replace a water pump! In a 2000 mile run to the Costa Brava and back it used half a litre of oil!
What a great car, and a great engine, and a great drive!!
Rick

K888ETH said:
Teffers said:

Minutes? Your engine is clearly on borrowed time already. It's doomed, doomed I tell you! :floor:

:eh!: :eek: :pc: Mere chocolate minutes I tell you
:judge:

Well - just as we often repeat - they are great cars - but unfortunately the opening post is exactly what every owner said right up to the day before their engine went wrong.

I am genuinely very pleased to hear so many run OK for long periods of time - but if we had statistics that revealed - say - that 5 % fail after 16 years, another 8 % after say 20 years etc - it would still leave the vast majority repeating your opening line - and good on them.

However this does not mean the other % also never go wrong and the older they gate the more expensive they become to repair as well.

Good luck with yours and I hope you can repeat your slogan throughout your ownership - if not - you have access to a great repair facility from us.

Baz

120k no smoke running or on start up, no clattering on start up or running.
Sure it laughed at me the other day, that smirk that says I'm gona get you soon fool.

Steve

bazhart said:
Well - just as we often repeat - they are great cars - but unfortunately the opening post is exactly what every owner said right up to the day before their engine went wrong.

I am genuinely very pleased to hear so many run OK for long periods of time - but if we had statistics that revealed - say - that 5 % fail after 16 years, another 8 % after say 20 years etc - it would still leave the vast majority repeating your opening line - and good on them.

However this does not mean the other % also never go wrong and the older they gate the more expensive they become to repair as well.

Good luck with yours and I hope you can repeat your slogan throughout your ownership - if not - you have access to a great repair facility from us.

Baz

Exactly.

If mine ever decides to ***** itself I'd stuff the glovebox with used £20 notes and send it to you. You'd be sending back a 3.9 :)

Having had to saw off both eccentric bolts on my rear RH suspension, this morning I tackled the LHS - and believe it or not, both were unseized and popped out, :worship:

Nothing went wrong!

Re: Guess what I drove my 996.1 all day today and nothing ha

eabeukes said:
I havent got sooty tailpipes or any high oil usage so I am just posting this to let everyone know I am not worried about my car

:FYI:

This ones just for Phil997
:floor:

Good man - makes a pleasant change to hear a bit of positive vibes....

That said, there'll still be those than can't believe it lol:

782.gif

:grin: :grin: Even Baz who is Porsche representative with direct communication with God and has been known to be gods navigator and sits on his right hand side , says above at 20 years only about 13% of cars will have the dreaded BS and he has the ear of the creator that means 79% of these cars will be still good over 20yrs old ,surely thats pretty good odds for 20plus year old cars. :grin: :grin: :grin:

What % of other cars are still on the road at 20 years old? and how many of those have had engine attention?

I think they do pretty well. Any car at 20 with only consumables maintenance has done very very well.

Mines shows no sign of letting up yet, but I fully expect it to at some point. Hopefully I'll catch it in time, if not then heyho good innings.

I try and spot similar age cars out and about. Very very rarely see anything on an S plate.

Mine utterly failed to explode today too. 112k 3.4, passed it's MOT yesterday with no advisories.

*forgets spending 3k on it this year*

Not only has mine just done two days on track at the Ring, followed by two days on track at Spa, followed by a day on track at Zolder - but I managed to drive it there and back on a 9 day trip without using any oil!

Madness!

Just a quick update: at 140k on Monday something broke :sad:

...The original key. Quick trip to Revolution while in Leeds sorted me a new one.

Manchester to Bradford and return Tuesday night in the teeth of 'Gareth'
saddleworth moor was 'interesting'
felt sorry for the high side stobarts....
156k c2 just ahem breezed it,
why does it feel so fast smooth and sweet after a longish high speed blast - everything warmed up properly?
ps I'm cheating - hartech fettled engine since 92k :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back