Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PROJECT HALF A CUP LS3 Swap?

I may be interested in your sports seats from the 911. Are they in good nick? hard backed? 18way?

TIA,

James

Are they out of a TT QS? I'm sure I read the subframes fit straight in so just curious if that's the case?

Was planning on doing something similar last year, stripping out weight from the car whilst tunning the engine.

Was going to have the exterior looking like a sport classic in grey with Fuchs wheels.

Looks like this is going to be a tasty project...
Will be keeping an eye on this one 👍

JayG60 said:
I wonder how few of the 111 you can actually get? 😄
I am building this for me not Porsche.
As Ferry said himself. 'I could not find the sports car I wanted, so I built my own." A man after my own heart 😄😜
[/quote]

I think we should all club together ( put a fiver in ) and video you secretly chatting to the Service Manager as you pick the car post the 111 point check.
Any money left over would go to the winner of the sweep ' how low can you go' guess on what you actually passed on ? :?:

Don't listen to Bryan Ferry he knows nothing about cars, just a bit of music and polo !

BTW Did you see Gas Monkey Garage converted a very dead 996 to 997 body and LS3 motor, it was about 2 years ago.... worth a watch ! ? ( maybe )

BTW2 I'm firmly plugged into this build and I live close, so keep the garage doors shut :lock:

Duplicate - slow inter-web :pc:

When mine had the 111 point check done , they said they were pleased to report the drivers door mirror glass was OE to the car but that was all :floor: :floor: :floor:

Phil 997 said:
When mine had the 111 point check done , they said they were pleased to report the drivers door mirror glass was OE to the car but that was all :floor: :floor: :floor:

Well done.....

One Porsche point to you Sir !

Yes they are Recaro Pole Positions same as in the Audi TT QS. They will get a fresh trim when they finally get installed, but not sure on the exact details of that yet.

There will be quite a few bits being removed from the 997 shortly and I will put them up for sale. I will put ads on the for sale section but coming out will be...

Front Seats - Hard back electric sport seats in black leather. Good condition

Full PCM Sat Nav system including headunit and DVD player etc..

Standard front and rear bumper in Seal grey

Later I will be removing the PASM shocks and springs as well as the wheels and some other bits, but they will be a bit later.

Saw the Fast and Loud episode when it was on at the time and reckon it could be done much better, but still a good demo of how it can be done.

Jay

Mixing it up with an LS :eek: Go Jay :D

Check out Hoovies Garage on youtube, he has an LS3 in a 996, but came to a nasty end recently, most likely due to oil surge problems due to the engine being the wrong way round to design. So might be worth checking that detail.

Morning Andy. Well I need to make it interesting somehow :)

Yeah lots of things not done right on that Hoovies build.
I will probably be using an Accusump amongst other things to maintain oil pressure, given that this is planned for track use as much as daily use.
You can also turn the sump 180 so its the right way round.
He also uses unknown second hand engines which I will not be doing, mine will be a brand new crate engine.

There is a lot of engineering to do and I will be doing a lot of planning and research, but I am pretty confident I will have a properly engineered install once done.

First step is establishing the weight and CofG of the two engines..... watch this space...

Jay, can you use the original gearbox or will you need something off the shelf to mate with the LS3? And would the whole engine and transmission not affect the balance, relative to the original layout?

I will be using the Porsche Gearbox as its well proven with the LS3 and a great gearbox.
The engine will have an effect on the balance, which is why I will be doing a lot of analysis on exactly how much and where to correct it.
A lot of people just throw these engines in without understanding the impact and I will be doing things a bit differently. Ultimately having all the data and calculations to make sure its "right".

Jay

If the LS is lighter then it will only improve the balance. I have a 996 in which I have dropped about 25KG from the rear end and it's made a noticeable positive difference in the handling. There is no need to get all technical over 'balance' as if it's some sort of mystery. You just want it as close to 50/50 as you can get it. In a 911 you'll never get it near that, so you're just taking as much weight out of the rear as you can in order to improve the relatively poor balance the thing has when stock.

Once you have it on coilovers you can fine tune it with corner weight and spring and damper adjustments. Good luck and please keep posting.

Hi Martin,

You are quite right, weight reduction is a good thing full stop and I will be adding coilovers to allow corner weighting etc..

I am more interested in where the CofG is in the LS3 and the M97 than the straight weight, as this will affect the relative position of the cars CofG to the roll centre and ultimately affect the dynamics.
I am keen to demonstrate that done right this conversion does not "ruin the handling" "make it like a boat" etc..etc..

Will be interesting to see what the overall weight difference is too.

Cheers

Jay

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back