Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Transfer Case - 2013, 958 Diesel S - 79,000 miles

Pops

Monza
Recently, I had started to notice a bit of slippage in second gear, characterised by what appeared to be a stuttering / missing sensation when warmed up. I have read that the transfer box / cases can be problematic on the Cayenne and Macan but the more I investigated, the more it appeared that the transfer case fluid was suspect and / or prone to moisture contamination.

There is a good diy how to change the transfer case fluid over on Rennlist so I dug out the all important tools, a 3/8ths 8mm Hex (allen key) socket, a torque wrench, replacement fill and drain plugs, a couple of litres of Ravenol TF-0870, meeting Porsche's specification and an oil drain pan.

On draining the old, so called lifetime transfer case fluid, it was apparent that this had degraded, was dark, almost black in colour, with a thin viscocity. The fresh Ravenol fluid was gold in colour and had a noticeably thicker viscocity.

When tightening up the drain and fill plugs it is vital not to overtighten these as the transfer case alloy is thin and will crack if too much pressure is applied. Best to use an accurate 3/8ths torque wrench and only tighten up to 20 Nm or 15 ft/lb.

Once the fluid was replaced it was apparent how noticeable the improvement was. No more slipping and everything seemed a lot smoother. On returning from my lengthy test drive I checked the fluid level again, in case there were any air pockets from the fluid change and topped it up.

The Ravenol Transfer Case fluid is only £15 per litre (you will need just over 1 litre) and only takes about 10 minutes to drain and refill if your vehicle has air suspension and you can clamber underneath with it on its highest setting! In future I am going to be changing this at every maintenance service, as a precaution.

You are correct .. its not changed very often .

Im a little concerned though by the colour so i would like to ask a favour .. check it in 3-6 monthes time and see if its still pretty clear .. if so its all good .

Transfer box faults whilst rare do happen .. its nearly always a new box ... changed one 2 monthes ago with a customer complaint of lack of power on boost and poor gear shifts ... 2009 car .

deMort said:
You are correct .. its not changed very often .

Im a little concerned though by the colour so i would like to ask a favour .. check it in 3-6 monthes time and see if its still pretty clear .. if so its all good .

Transfer box faults whilst rare do happen .. its nearly always a new box ... changed one 2 monthes ago with a customer complaint of lack of power on boost and poor gear shifts ... 2009 car .

Thanks. I shall check the new fluid in a few months as you suggest, but will change it again anyway at 100,000 miles as a precaution if no problems arise before then.

we have a 2005 Cayenne S and although it has service history, the last few years have been patchy to say the least so what you have described is certainly worth keeping in mind on ours if the same happens.

:thumb: :thumb:

"
There is a good diy how to change the transfer case fluid over on Rennlist so I dug out the all important tools, a 3/8ths 8mm Hex (allen key) socket, a torque wrench, replacement fill and drain plugs, a couple of litres of Ravenol TF-0870, meeting Porsche's specification and an oil drain pan."

Hi Pops,

Great post, do you have a link of part number for the replacement fill and drain plugs? Im going to do this first thing when i get my Cayenne, as im looking at a 105k miles ones, which currently has no issues reported. But ill be doing first thing as it sounds simple enough,

Thanks

Oliver

owilliams1 said:
"
There is a good diy how to change the transfer case fluid over on Rennlist so I dug out the all important tools, a 3/8ths 8mm Hex (allen key) socket, a torque wrench, replacement fill and drain plugs, a couple of litres of Ravenol TF-0870, meeting Porsche's specification and an oil drain pan."

Hi Pops,

Great post, do you have a link of part number for the replacement fill and drain plugs? Im going to do this first thing when i get my Cayenne, as im looking at a 105k miles ones, which currently has no issues reported. But ill be doing first thing as it sounds simple enough,

Thanks

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thanks.

My receipt from Porsche Brooklands shows the part numbers as: 955.301.115.01 and 955.332.057.00.

Just under £50 for both plugs so heavily Porsche taxed!

Happy to say i picked up my Cayenne, so plan on doing this as a just incase.

but im a little confused on what oil. Below is a copy and paste from a padf manual i have, im pretty sure i have the Torsen one.

It looks like the on on page 123 of this link below.

Am i just overthinking and just get Ravenol 870, or do i need to get something which is BOT850? ANy thoughts are welcome.

https://www.s-tec.at/data/Kataloge 2019/S-TEC Katalog 4WD Single Parts 2019.pdf

WM 3X00IN TECHNICAL VALUES, TRANSMISSION (EXCEPT CAYENNE, CAYENNE
GTS, CAYENNE TURBO S, CAYENNE S, CAYENNE S E-HYBRID, CAYENNE TURBO,
CAYENNE (3.0)) > TECHNICAL VALUES > TECHNICAL VALUES FOR TRANSFER
GEAR
Filling capacity Designation
Oil change quantity for → 399055
CHANGING OIL FOR
TRANSFER GEAR
Hang-on → Filling capacity:
0.78 liters
Shell TF0870
Oil change quantity for → 399055
CHANGING OIL FOR
TRANSFER GEAR
Torsen → Filling capacity: 0.5
liters
Burmah BOT850

I've recently bought a 2011 diesel 958 and normal highway driving seems fine. The problem is when I am driving the car onto our drive which is at an incline. As I start to slowly edge up the drive, so as not to crash into my wife's car :thewife: , the clutch seems to be slipping and the grabbing and the car jumps forward a little. The above fluid was apparently changed in 2018.

Oliver - If your vehicle is not under warranty I would stick with Ravenol as it is the transfer fluid which is recommended by a number of people including myself who have carried out the transfer fluid change. The rear diff is separate from the transfer case and does take a different grade of fluid than for the transfer case. I think it is RAVENOL VSG 75W-90 Transmission Fluid from memory. Incidentally, Ravenol TF-0870 has apparently now been rebranded 'DTF-1'.

Scarlet Boarder - If you are in any doubt as to whether the transfer fluid was changed, I would do it again to be on the safe side. Mine was experiencing similar symptoms to yours and replacing the fluid (very degraded in my case) with Ravenol has completely cured the problem.

Thanks for the info. It's going in for an interim service so will get this done at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back