Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Funnily enough, I saw that group picture on The Lotus Forums 8)

Car looks great Mark and I see now why you're interested in Evoras. :thumb:

Have you had a go in it, yet?

Evenin' EG :thumb:

Yep that Evora was really nice in the metal. Looked very racy and aggressive.
It was the first time I'd met the owner though, so I wouldn't be cheeky enough to ask for a go. To be honest I only drive cars that belong to close friends incase the worst was to happen. :wink:

There was a decent mix of cars as the lads all knew each other from the old (now defunct) Evo magazine forum.

The Evora and S1 Elise drivers could press on a bit, but they had local knowledge. They could drive though,local knowledge or not. In fact all the cars did well, including the Mini GP and especially the Civic with only 200bhp.

I hope yours is going well anyway? Are you still enjoying the change?

Hi Marky :thumb:

If you do ever try the Evora (you should, if you can), careful of the brake pedal; it's about a bazillion times lighter than a 996! First time I drove mine, I nearly put my face through the window :grin:

I have to say I do prefer the Evora over the 996, although it's not because of how it drives (both are obviously very good indeed and are very similar in many ways), but because of how people react to it on the road. Everyone seems to love a Lotus and particularly a sky-blue Evora 8)

It is nice not to worry about the engine going pop, too.

But I will always have a very soft spot for the 996s I had and indeed the good eggs on this forum.

Cheers.

:thumb:

:grin:
I'll definitely try and remember that then.

If I ever fancy leaving Porsches, I'll definitely try an Evora and new shape Exige.

Glad you're enjoying it! Like I say that one at the weekend looked great and didn't hang about.
Enjoy it, and keep popping back to see us lot now and again with an update here and there. :thumb:

Just got back late last night after extending my trip.

Good meeting you and Craig (how's the droplinks? :lol:); it's great finally seeing the car in the fresh after following its progress for two (?) years.

Bar the couple imperfections as you have documented, you should be very proud with your car; it's factory fresh. The ride height and stance are spot on. I love the interior; the seats (1st class retrim), colour, steering wheel and little touches like handbrake/gearknob/ console delete and new kick plates really work together.

Just one thing about your seats, have had a look at mine and mine, with factory brackets have only one slot for height, whereas your D911 brackets have two slots for height (and angles?). Hence I think yours sit a bit lower than my seats. Thought I'd mentioned in case any tall drivers following this thread are considering D911 brackets.

Anyway, I think we can call that a successful weekend. Til next time bud!

:bye:

MnKAEdT.jpg

Camper van in the way. :hand:

Cheers matey, as I've said in your thread me and Captain Droplink had a great weekend.

Thanks for the comments. Your new car is just perfect. I love it. :cloud9:

Interesting about the seats, I remember you saying you thought mine felt lower. Definitely worthy of a mention for the tall lads.

Glad your return leg went as well as the rest of the trip. Speak soon. :thumb:

PS. I'm sure that motorhome came past me in the next set of twisties. :D

Pointless little post this but I found my old tax disc holder in the drawer today. I removed it from my windscreen during the stripdown for the bodyshop.

Every tax disc back to 2005.

Like I say, pointless post but I'm a geek like that. :coat:

Hahahaha.... Captain Drop Link ??? :floor: Thats it, give me my bonnet badge back !!!! ha

I see you managed to mention me on the "First Line" there :grin:
Nice !!!! hahaha

As for the seats, I cant see the upper front hole making much if any difference to the height whatsoever ???? this will only tilt the seat back over so you don't get a bad back??? it can't actually go any lower than it is now, and tilting it back to use the top hole, your arse will be in the same place, just the back rest will give a more lean back feel ??? The rear mounting hole if fixed with no adjustment up or down.

Only one way to find out i guess....

ps. GEEK !!!! Who does a tax disk post ???? hahaha :thumbs:

^^^ Yeah, yeah, whatever. Tax disc post for the win. :D

I finally got around to washing the car this week. It was still filthy from the Scotland trip.

I assessed the stone-chip situation and the front bumper has taken a bit of a hammering.

This is the worst of the damage.
Huge chip out of lower section edge. There's also a good few more normal chips through to the primer.

So I ordered some paint from Chipex. I still have loads of blending solution etc from previous kits.
I touched in the worst ones yesterday. It's still totally presentable but to be mint it needs repainting. In itself, no big deal, as I'm having the engine lid done again over winter anyway.
It does beg the question though, if I'm not going to shell out for PPF is there any point getting the bumper made perfect again? We'll see.
You basically have a stone-chipped but we'll emjoyed car or a perfect car you simply don't use. Mine is to be the former.

Anyway I attended a show today at Beamish museum. I always say I don't do static shows as you've seen everything within an hour but my dad attends the ones for his club (NECPWA) so I thought I'd spend some time with him.
Family and friend time has suffered a bit, this last few years, with doing up my old house, so it's good to chill out again.

Anyway only a few pics as it was a busy show so always people about spoiling my pics. :grin:

My dad restored his Midget a few years ago. Yes it's a rubber bumper one, before anyone says anything :wink: but it's like brand new and is a cool little car. Someone tries to buy it at almost every show.

When he attended the Corbridge show up here last year, the organisers told him to make sure he hung around until late on.
Turns out he'd won "Best Classic MG". Not bad as there's about 700 cars attend and loads of MGs.
He also never even enters concours or show and shine. He just parks it up and enjoys the day.

He's now half way through restoring his chrome bumper MGB. Hopefully done for next year but possibly not.

Anyway, that's all for now.
The car is going great.
Service time soon. Only a minor this year.

:thumb:

I'd pondered about getting a midget before I bought my 996. The old man had a 1500 years ago. Had a look at a couple but the panel gaps were truly horrific.
I guess some are better than others though.

There seems to be a weird relationship between the two - guy I bought my 996 from had 6 cars - 3 996s alongside 3 MGs that were all in various stages of restoration or daily driver..... maybe they attract each other :dont know:

Thanks for the comments. I didn't know if there'd be any love for the old stuff on here. :wink:

Hi Wasz, that's exactly it, back to basics. Totally different era and not an ECU in sight.
Following my dad to the show though highlighted how tiny it is. The clue's in the name I suppose. :grin:
It's positively dwarfed (or midget-ed) by modern vehicles.

Just like the original mini's, they're fun, but I'd hate to have a bump in one. :eek:

Hi g911omr, the panel gaps in most midgets (and old stuff in general) are comical compared to our cars but that's just how things were back then. My dad worked hard to get his right but you do see some shockers.
MGBs can be really bad too. The leading edge of the door in particular always has a huge gap and you're into rocking horse poop territory to find one that all the chrome strips line up on down the sides. :wink:
It can be done though. Just very time consuming.
It's the sign of a good resto or an average one.
There'll quite often be that gap down the front of the doors though.

Mornin' Demon - Funny you should say that as I've noticed one or two people's signature sections in here, listing MG midgets.
I'd happily have one, although I think I'd prefer a chrome bumper MGB. Just that little bit bigger and more practical. I'd be inclined to go a bit further in it. They sound and look that bit nicer too. :wink:

Anyway I'll stick a couple of pics up of the B in its current state.
My dad started work as a mechanic when he was 15, so 1961/1962 and he's still crawling around underneath cars now. (I hope I'm still doing that at 72!)

Midgets and B's were just being launched when my dad began serving his time, so he has gone from working on them as brand spanking new, state of the art sports cars, to restoring them as old classics.
The B he's doing now sat in a garage for 31 years, from 1981-2012. It was only a few streets away from his house too.

The metalwork is all done, new sills etc.

All the suspension and underside is done. They get undersealed rather than left body colour as my dad likes to use his cars.

Engine bay very nearly complete. It was painted early on so the engine could go back in.

He's onto the bodywork now, funnily enough fettling door gaps etc. Then it's paint, trim and interior over winter. It'll be a lovely car once it's done.

Anyway apologies for the off topic-ness.
Anything goes in my threads though and my car/motorbike addiction comes from my dad. I'm sure that's the case with most of us eh. :thumb:

Just a quick post after a good days driving today with Craig.
The car had some work done at my Indy's at the end of last year. He held onto it over Xmas as I had other uses for my garage.

So anyway Craig took me for it this morning. The weather although cold, was mega dry, so we decided Craig would take me in his 996 then we'd go the long way home and make a day of it. It beats a usual winter Saturday.

So we collected my car at 11am from Nelson Porsche in Stockton, grabbed some unhealthy food from McD's, great start to my healthy new year :wink: , then we headed off.

We went out through Richmond past Leyburn.
Quick stop to check map as I'd taken us on a different road to what I'd planned.

Then it was onto Hawes. Didn't stop though as parking is always a pain, so we pushed on to Ribblehead viaduct.

After Ribblehead we headed to Ingleton and then Devils bridge, our old motorbike haunt. (Most of the route from Hawes was our old bike route actually).

Brew stop at Devils Bridge.

Then it was north out of Devils bridge the twisty way to Kendal, up the A6 to Penrith and up the A686 to Hartside. Still an awesome bit of road and not too many bikers or mamils.

Stopped at Hartside but obviously the cafe burned down last year so no food or drink.
Too dark for a pic.

Then it was continue on A686 to Haydon Bridge on the A69.
We stopped for a Shandy at a pub near home then split up.

I always take my car off the road from October to March/April as I hate washing cars in the cold and the roads are generally no fun.
However that was a great impromptu blast.
Barely around 4 degrees though so my 595 RSRs coupled with 2.2 degrees negative camber had the traction and abs kicking in a bit.
I'll get that sorted for the spring though.

Anyway, like I say a great day. It hasn't persuaded me into using the 996 regularly in the bad weather but I'll admit the odd time can be fun.

Home at 6pm. 195 miles done, almost all on twisty or sweeping roads.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow. The exact thing I can't be bothered with doing every week, hence why I'm a fair weather friend. :wink:

A proper end of year/New Years update soon, covering the work I've just had done.
The car is running great and we even sorted a slightly rough hot idle problem I've had since I bought it.
Unbelievable what it was. Free to fix but laughable.
What was it? Answers on a postcard. :grin:

Anyway it runs smooth as silk now and pulls great. The way these cars drive still impresses me when I haven't driven it for a while. So keyed in and compliant. The KWs have really turned it into something fantastic.
I'm very impressed how it has turned out.

Is it a keeper? For this year definitely. I still find myself looking at 964s and GT3s so we'll see what the future brings though. Although like when I had my GT3, I wonder how much more fun I'd have in something 3 times the cost.
In the meantime though being "stuck" in my 996 is not exactly a hardship. :D

Cheers. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back