Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dead after jump start

Pazuzu

After an ill advised jump start (I know, I know) the car is completely dead, no lights or response at all and key stuck in.

I can get the key out no problem and the battery shows 12.8v so I think I've blown a fuse somewhere but not sure where as they all look ok in the drivers footwell.

Any ideas? :?:

Also, any recommendations for a mobile mechanic who covers Kent would be great!

Thanks,

Phil

To be honest this doesnt sound good .. any chance the jump leads were the wrong way around ?

The main fuses are in the power distributor .. its not accessable at the side of the road .. very rare for them to blow .

Im afraid i dont know any mobiles but i have a feeling they wont be able to help and you need recovery .

EDIT ..

Jump start but the battery shows 12 volts ?? battery is ok so something else is going on

Do you want to phone me and explain it ???

Second edit .. pmed you my number just in case .

Third edit .. link about the power dist . board .

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power+dist

Thanks. I think you're right and it's the PDU.

Car is on my drive so no drama on that front. Only power is at the 12v socket in the centre console.

Background is I think the starter has seized and I reckon I've dumped too much power into it with the jump.

Do you know if I need to replace the PDU or is there a fuse in there? 80a I believe.

Cheers,

Phil

There are many fuses in the power board .. if an incorrect jump start then some could be blown but im afraid in my experience its control units that die after this .. and several do die if this has happened .

Soooo lets take a step back for a min .. the car didnt start , you thought it was a flat battery so jump started it .. that didnt work but you checked the battery volatge and it was 12 volts so not a flat battery .

Igniton key in and no lights .. possible ignition lock failure perhaps ?

The ign . lock on these is nothing more than a bunch of switches .

Basically what was the original fault that made you jump start it ?

EDIT .. car is on your drive so safe .. i have to log but wil be back tomorrow to continue .. i have to eat sometime :)

Attachments

• pin_removal_155.jpg
    pin_removal_155.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 1,555
There is a lot more to it as you've probably guessed, I'll pm you tomorrow.

Thanks!

Phil

Went out to check all the cars are locked and pulled the passenger door handle, force of habit, and it seems we're back!

All lights came on etc!!

I think it's a seized starter motor as that is the only thing that won't work.

Thanks all for the advice.

Phil

I always fit a surge protector across the battery, only a few quid and easy to fit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back