Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 to 993 - Anyone done it?

ireid said:
Even a few of the 993 fans here have said they are not suitable as a daily driver. I'm interested to know whether they would revise that opinion in the case of a resto mod 993? Would the modernifications (see what I did there) deal with whatever issues that prompt the comments about not being suitable for daily use? I ask because I'm thinking of going the resto mod route and it would be my daily driver . . . .

My 993 is a daily driver, in fact the more a car is used the better it is and Im sure we ALL agree on this: I drove to Barcelona and back with no issues

I want to know what other 993 owners think is not suitable about daily driving? Its my choice but I have racing ride height and track tyers so not as smooth on road as it was but I love it.

ireid said:
Even a few of the 993 fans here have said they are not suitable as a daily driver. I'm interested to know whether they would revise that opinion in the case of a resto mod 993? Would the modernifications (see what I did there) deal with whatever issues that prompt the comments about not being suitable for daily use? I ask because I'm thinking of going the resto mod route and it would be my daily driver . . . .

You could drive a 993 every day of your life if you wanted and it would probably last longer than most cars. Hell I was driving a mk2 polo gt breadvan as a daily up until a few years ago which was a hoot.

They have just got to a price point where people use them as special occasion cars and modern cars basically drive themselves which is better suited to modern traffic and most peoples requirements for a daily.

You could drive a 993 every day of your life if you wanted and it would probably last longer than most cars. Hell I was driving a mk2 polo gt breadvan as a daily up until a few years ago which was a hoot.

They have just got to a price poin where people use them as special occasion cars and modern cars basically drive themselves which is better suited to modern traffic and most peoples requirements for a daily.[/quote]

Personally I can't see the point of owing a car you love to drive and not driving it as often as you can. The fact a resto mod will cost a shed load doesn't change that, in fact it would make it all the more reason to make use of it.

I should add that daily driver is a tad misleading in my case as I'm largely retired and I'd be using it for going to the squash club, shopping, visiting friends and miscellaneous other leisure trips. Probably less than 3k miles per annum.

ireid said:

They have just got to a price poin where people use them as special occasion cars and modern cars basically drive themselves which is better suited to modern traffic and most peoples requirements for a daily.

Personally I can't see the point of owing a car you love to drive and not driving it as often as you can. The fact a resto mod will cost a shed load doesn't change that, in fact it would make it all the more reason to make use of it.

I should add that daily driver is a tad misleading in my case as I'm largely retired and I'd be using it for going to the squash club, shopping, visiting friends and miscellaneous other leisure trips. Probably less than 3k miles per annum.

You can have an older car which you adore and love driving but is pretty poor in comparison to modern stuff in city center stop start traffic which is my daily commute. That's my reason for having 2 cars...

ollster said:
ireid said:

They have just got to a price poin where people use them as special occasion cars and modern cars basically drive themselves which is better suited to modern traffic and most peoples requirements for a daily.

You can have an older car which you adore and love driving but is pretty poor in comparison to modern stuff in city center stop start traffic which is my daily commute. That's my reason for having 2 cars...

Yes I get that, hence my explanation about only using it for leisure. PDK certainly takes away some of the pain of driving in stop start traffic

In a few years from now, there will be a similar thread to this labbeled '992 to 997".

5 years Missing

Zingers, This is the car with the black interior with 5 years of stamps missing! Amazingly it made round the Lake District without breaking down!

Attachments

• ld2_152.jpg
    ld2_152.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 2,533
Rich_r said:
Whoosh... wasn't expecting this much response when I looked today :typing:

Interesting thoughts on both sides of the fence, chaps.

I've been looking at LHD cars as well (since my 997 is a lefty), which of course opens up my market into the continent etc. It wouldn't be a daily neither.

I've PM'd you.

You 'could' ride a BMX to work everyday. Doesn't mean you should or it's a good idea. I owned my 993 longer than I've owned anything and sold earlier this year. They are beautiful looking cars. They sound and feel special. You can go a long time before seeing another on the road and they engender warmth and questions from other people.

I owned mine at the same time as an S1 Elise which, for a drive that didn't feature motorways, was a better drivers car IMHO. You can spend far less than 993 money to be in something more fun to drive. This point crystallised for me when OPC loaned me a 981 Black Edition whilst my 993 was being serviced a few years ago. I posted about it here at the time.

As in life it is with cars. Looks go a long way. 993 better looking than all the others including early stuff and 964. All my opinion. Others may have a differing view.

highway said:
You 'could' ride a BMX to work everyday. Doesn't mean you should or it's a good idea. I owned my 993 longer than I've owned anything and sold earlier this year. They are beautiful looking cars. They sound and feel special. You can go a long time before seeing another on the road and they engender warmth and questions from other people.

I owned mine at the same time as an S1 Elise which, for a drive that didn't feature motorways, was a better drivers car IMHO. You can spend far less than 993 money to be in something more fun to drive. This point crystallised for me when OPC loaned me a 981 Black Edition whilst my 993 was being serviced a few years ago. I posted about it here at the time.

As in life it is with cars. Looks go a long way. 993 better looking than all the others including early stuff and 964. All my opinion. Others may have a differing view.
As the owner of a 981 GTS who is considering getting a resto modded 993, that's giving me pause for thought . . . .

ireid- I drive mine every day. Horses for courses. I think you'd be fine with a 993! :thumb:

When people talk about driving a 993 everyday you have to question where they live. If you are lucky enough to live in the arse end of nowhere, then I can see it may be viable. If you live, as I do, 10 miles south of Hyde Park in London, the last thing you'd want to be in everyday is a 993.

They can cope with stop start traffic in the same way I could lay face down and have my undercarriage waxed. It's doable, but you wouldn't enjoy it and would question why ever you agreed to it.

If you roll off your driveway and onto the uncluttered roads that pave the way to Mordor then enjoy, you are clearly winning.

highway said:
When people talk about driving a 993 everyday you have to question where they live. If you are lucky enough to live in the arse end of nowhere, then I can see it may be viable. If you live, as I do, 10 miles south of Hyde Park in London, the last thing you'd want to be in everyday is a 993.

They can cope with stop start traffic in the same way I could lay face down and have my undercarriage waxed. It's doable, but you wouldn't enjoy it and would question why ever you agreed to it.

If you roll off your driveway and onto the uncluttered roads that pave the way to Mordor then enjoy, you are clearly winning.

Yeah it's grim up North. :D

highway said:
...993 better looking than all the others including early stuff and 964. All my opinion. Others may have a differing view.

you're blind ! :eek: :floor:

Untitled by hot 66, on Flickr

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back