Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel spacers...

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
I have the standard 19" crab claw wheels on my car. I thought they looked ok as they were until I saw one with spacers. Think it had 5mm on the front and 8mm on the back.

Question is..... does this detrimentaly affect the handling of anything else. Think it looks better, but not if I end up in a hedge.

Adding spacers wont be detromental in any way to the handling mate , the accepted sizes for the 997.1 C2S is 7mm front 15mm rear ,make sure you buy hubcentric spacers , have a look on porschshop site as they do 7mm with a hub spiggot whereas most 7mm are only a shim and 7mm is close to the max you would want with just a shim. :thumb: :thumb: it will vastly improve the stance of the car :thumb: :thumb:

Yes, what Phil said. I had 7 mm / 15 mm front/back on my 997.2 C2, and I have changed the front spacers to 15 mm because I wanted the wheels more flush with the arches. So now 15 mm all round. No vibrations with any of the spacers, the only wobble is from my belly!
I bought hubcentric spacers and extended bolts from "Tech World Direct" on Ebay; good quality in my opinion and sensible prices.

Counter Of Beans said:
Yes, what Phil said. I had 7 mm / 15 mm front/back on my 997.2 C2, and I have changed the front spacers to 15 mm because I wanted the wheels more flush with the arches. So now 15 mm all round. No vibrations with any of the spacers, the only wobble is from my belly!
I bought hubcentric spacers and extended bolts from "Tech World Direct" on Ebay; good quality in my opinion and sensible prices.

I have a set of 7mm & 15mm from Tech World on Ebay that i have been running for quite a few years without issue and as COB has said they are good quality. I even went back a few years later and got another locking wheel nut socket as i had threaded my old one and that was supplied with no issue for sensible money

Is there any extra stress on an componants of the car by fitting spacers? I've been considering this on my Gen 1 Cab for asthetics, but was conserned about altering the balance of the car or putting stress on the suspension or axel since I only use the car for spirited drives.

Sy said:
Is there any extra stress on an componants of the car by fitting spacers? I've been considering this on my Gen 1 Cab for asthetics, but was conserned about altering the balance of the car or putting stress on the suspension or axel since I only use the car for spirited drives.

Sy , even Porsche sell spacers for these cars , accepted only 5mm but that should reassure you that theres no excess stress anywhere , as long as you use hubcentric :thumb:

At what width spacer are new bolts needed? Could a 7mm spacer on the front use existing bolts or would they need to be different.. i'm guessing 15mm on the back will need new bolts?

i bought my car with 15mm spacers and they were just held on by the normal bolts but it was ok for the 6 months i was running them until i got new alloys that were wider and ended up spending £250+ on new bolts. now both front and back are sticking outside the arches... looks awesome though

I made enquiries into this and was strongly advised against it. So I've left it.

I'd seek some expert advice on it if I were you. And I'm not going to get into a furious debate with the 'we love spacer's' gang on here. But I do advise the OP drills a bit deeper than this forum on the subject.

And oh, your Insurance company won't be impressed if you declare it.

I agree the stance looks better but when I weighed it all up I decided not to bother. But hey, your car your choice.

Norfolk & Idea said:
I made enquiries into this and was strongly advised against it. So I've left it.

I'd seek some expert advice on it if I were you. And I'm not going to get into a furious debate with the 'we love spacer's' gang on here. But I do advise the OP drills a bit deeper than this forum on the subject.

I agree the stance looks better but when I weighed it all up I decided not to bother. But hey, your car your choice.

I've seen positive posts on spacers, you think it's not a good idea? From an Insurance point of view, handling or mechanical failure?

I hope i'm not opening a can of worms here but I thought about spacers as I feel the standard crab claw wheels on the 997 look a little too set back and wanted a better look/stance, I like the look of the wheels so don't want to change them.

Milo72 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

I've seen positive posts on spacers, you think it's not a good idea? From an Insurance point of view, handling or mechanical failure?

I hope i'm not opening a can of worms here but I thought about spacers as I feel the standard crab claw wheels on the 997 look a little too set back and wanted a better look/stance, I like the look of the wheels so don't want to change them.

You'll probably be fine tbh. As I said, I do think it improves the stance.

From my point of view it's purely choice. I asked around and decided against it. Some Insurance companies don't like to have Porsche's suspension and geo messed with.

As for handling, I'd imagine it's marginal. It probably only matters when you reach the last 3-4% of the ragged edge. Which is where racers live. I'm pretty certain it won't improve handling as some fondly imagine. But how much it compromises it, I'm not sure.

I think you will find any negative internet info about spacers will be if they have not done as you and asked, but went out and brought non hubcentric spacers and then got wheel wobble etc.
as I said further up Porsche sell OE spacers and always have right back to air cooled would they have sold then if they were dangerous , or detromental to the handling of the car. a wider wheel base has to improve the stability and handling even if its only in a very small way .

I accept there will always be several schools of thought on any subject and some honestly believe the world will end next week and I have even seen a website for the flat earth society who are still convinced the world is flat :dont know: so all you can do is read the info and make your call after that .

PS whether you fit spacers or not when your out driving please try and avoid falling off the edge of the earth :floor: :floor: :floor:

I'd be wary of any spacers that alter the wheelbase of a car.

Hubcentric spacers shouldn't give any tangible problems.

They will not alter the wheel geometry as that's set at the hub. You will obviously have an increase in track width, but wheel base does not change.

There will be additional load on the wheel bearing and therefore accelerated wear, but I wouldn't be concerned over this. Bearings grumble long before they fail so you would detect this long before it becomes a real concern.

Magic919 said:
I'd be wary of any spacers that alter the wheelbase of a car.

What nonsense is this and Why !!

Every Porsche should have a better stance from the factory, have a good look at ones that don't the wheels look so sunk in. To me they look terrible, but some are obveiously ok with the factory Tiny ET, massive over arched look.

I have run Spacers on my Porsche's for over 20 years, even Porsche will sell you 5mm versions.

Just buy good quality Hubcentric ones, with the correct extended bolts, fit, and sit back and enjoy the look.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back