Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 prices

Kev.K said:
The 4.4 v8 is a epic engine and the interior in a very nice place to be. Spec is usually very high too. B+O, night vision, surround cameras etc.
Have you driven one? Looks great on paper but completely dull and soulless and this is coming from a BMW fan and serial owner. If you're after a sports car, it's not in any way comparable to a 911. But if you're after a GT car with useable back seats and don't mind listening to turbo whooshes and fake engine noises through the speakers then it could be a good choice.

Also you're not getting an LCI with all the toys you mention for anywhere near £30k.

I've just come from a high spec 65-plate F10 M5CP. Unfortunately I can confirm that £35k will now easily buy you one :sad:
But you cannot ever compare it to a 911. Totally different cars. Disconnect the fake sound and the M5 is the most perfect, luxurious and comfortable car, but one which has an astonishing and profound performance ability.
Prior to the M5 I had the F80 M3. The M5 made the M3 seem like a vegetarian eco car by comparison!

Shaoxter said:
Kev.K said:
The 4.4 v8 is a epic engine and the interior in a very nice place to be. Spec is usually very high too. B+O, night vision, surround cameras etc.
Have you driven one? Looks great on paper but completely dull and soulless and this is coming from a BMW fan and serial owner. If you're after a sports car, it's not in any way comparable to a 911. But if you're after a GT car with useable back seats and don't mind listening to turbo whooshes and fake engine noises through the speakers then it could be a good choice.

Also you're not getting an LCI with all the toys you mention for anywhere near £30k.

What do you mean anywhere near?

I've seen 6 go through BCA in the last month for less than £30k. I guess as a 'bmw fan and serial owner" you need to do some homework.

A M4 went for £22k yesterday.

If you read my post I said they are not comparable?

I completely disagree that the engine is soulless. Nonsense statement tbh.

qwerty911 said:
I've just come from a high spec 65-plate F10 M5CP. Unfortunately I can confirm that £35k will now easily buy you one :sad:
But you cannot ever compare it to a 911. Totally different cars. Disconnect the fake sound and the M5 is the most perfect, luxurious and comfortable car, but one which has an astonishing and profound performance ability.
Prior to the M5 I had the F80 M3. The M5 made the M3 seem like a vegetarian eco car by comparison!

Epic engines, good build for a bmw and best value performance car there is at the moment.

The fake sound fuse would be the first thing that was pulled out. :thumbs:

qwerty911 said:

Seriously? A competition pack three year old M5 for £35k? Blimey. Was that mega mileage or cat D or something? Huge amount of car for Golf R money. Might have a look at AutoTrader!

It was 20mths old, with 20k miles, mint, hi spec, black on black, it just needed new tyres all round, plus it had the service pack. I had it on both autotrader and eBay and I couldn't give it away. I sold it to Arnold Clark for 35k, who sold it a few weeks later for 39k. Best car I have ever owned, by far, but it sadly didn't suit my lifestyle or location. Replaced with a 911 and Disco 5.

qwerty911 said:
It was 20mths old, with 20k miles, mint, hi spec, black on black, it just needed new tyres all round, plus it had the service pack. I had it on both autotrader and eBay and I couldn't give it away. I sold it to Arnold Clark for 35k, who sold it a few weeks later for 39k. Best car I have ever owned, by far, but it sadly didn't suit my lifestyle or location. Replaced with a 911 and Disco 5.

Huge amount of car for the money, did you own it from new?

Most car prices are taking a kicking at the moment, not just 911s or BMWs for that matter. Uncertainty regards the economy combined with dealers holding huge stock levels and having to offer bigger and bigger discounts (deposit contributions) and lower interest rates to keep the market moving....... it is only moving one way.

I have been looking at replacing my wifes car and main dealers are offering better deals than the general trade and advertised private prices.

Sticking with BMWs you can get a well specified pre-registered M140i Shadow Edition for £26K and was offered a pre-registered M2 (no comp) for £36K. Pre reg M3 CPs are £47K......so when dealers are offering 30% discounts on cars with less than 100 miles you know they are under pressure to clear stock and not surprising they shed money so fast.

Looking at 911s both the 55K mile manual 997 Gen2 Turbo at £67K, and the 47K mile white PDK with the Aerokit at less than £60K (both on Autotrader) look great value and would be a better long term investment than any newer BMW.

BMW have changed their approach with m cars. It's all about volume.

Look at the state of f80 trade in values. It's ridiculous.

Many long time owners are switching to Audi rs and amg. They limit numbers which helps residuals.

Kev.K said:

Many long time owners are switching to Audi rs and amg. They limit numbers which helps residuals.

Absolutely! The amount of BMW M4 around at the mo is ridiculous (why are they always blue?). Contrast that with, say, an RS3 and the later is much rarer. Or at least that's my daily M25/North Circular observations. I also see more 997 than 991 (but that's to be expected as many 997 are weekend whips).

Think I'm going to end my 997 search.

Cyrus is keeping his car and sending it to hartech. I'd do the same in his position.

I love the 997. But I've got no faith in the 997.1 engine, and no confidence in the current prices of the 997.2.

I'll see what 991's are going for when I change cars again in a few years. No doubt it will be the same situation.

Thanks for all the advice. It was appreciated :thumbs:

Kev.K said:

A lot of that is because BMW they sell these cars through PCP/lease deals to get the volume. Although Audi aren't shy either and I wouldn't for example say the RS6 was ever volume limited....when I was thinking of buying one I went to one dealer, they have seven new RS6's parked up looking for owners! One of the reasons I didn't buy one...switched tack and bought a 997 GTS instead.

Kev.K said:
Think I'm going to end my 997 search.

Cyrus is keeping his car and sending it to hartech. I'd do the same in his position.

I love the 997. But I've got no faith in the 997.1 engine, and no confidence in the current prices of the 997.2.

I'll see what 991's are going for when I change cars again in a few years. No doubt it will be the same situation.

Thanks for all the advice. It was appreciated :thumbs:

Well for what it's worth, I think that's a shame - owning a 911 is about living for the moment so if coming on here and reading the horror stories is enough to put you off then fair enough. Worrying about residuals and if the engine will pop or not isn't really the point.

But, you'll always see them on the road and want one, no matter what you're driving.

maph said:
qwerty911 said:

Huge amount of car for the money, did you own it from new?

Most car prices are taking a kicking at the moment, not just 911s or BMWs for that matter. Uncertainty regards the economy combined with dealers holding huge stock levels and having to offer bigger and bigger discounts (deposit contributions) and lower interest rates to keep the market moving....... it is only moving one way.

I have been looking at replacing my wifes car and main dealers are offering better deals than the general trade and advertised private prices.

Sticking with BMWs you can get a well specified pre-registered M140i Shadow Edition for £26K and was offered a pre-registered M2 (no comp) for £36K. Pre reg M3 CPs are £47K......so when dealers are offering 30% discounts on cars with less than 100 miles you know they are under pressure to clear stock and not surprising they shed money so fast.

Looking at 911s both the 55K mile manual 997 Gen2 Turbo at £67K, and the 47K mile white PDK with the Aerokit at less than £60K (both on Autotrader) look great value and would be a better long term investment than any newer BMW.

Which dealer was offering a pre Reg M2 for £36k?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back