Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window wont close completely - intermittent fault

SDJC

I have an intermittent fault with the drivers door window not closing the last 1/4 inch. This prevents locking the car and setting the alarm. With the ignition on and the door closed I can hear the winding motor running. The window raises and lowers normally but just fails to close completely when the door is closed. Any advice on what is causing the fault?

For me the first thing to check would be the microswitch in the door handle. If this is broken the car will think the handle is up all of the time and will keep the window in the dropped position.

MC

I agree with MC, it's often a break in the circuit board rather than a failed microswitch.

The switch assembly is a VW part and much cheaper from the likes of ECP than Porsche, do a search on here for the part number.

Thanks both for your responses. Now know how to proceed.

I have never felt confident about removing and refitting interior trim so I passed the car to my indi for repair. The problem was caused by corrosion of the spindle in the door handle. This was preventing the door handle returning completely and so the micro-switch was not making. The spindle was released and cleaned up without breaking the plastic part of the door handle- apparently this is a risk which would have resulted in a new handle and painting of the handle to match the door. Parts that needed to be replaced were the pin and the operating rod for the door lock. Both were severely rusted and the pin was almost worn through. Had the pin failed it would have been impossible to open the door.
The new parts came to £5,46 inc VAT.

It is really straightforward to take the door panel off. Glad it was easily fixed though.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back