Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 to 993 - Anyone done it?

stewart rix said:
the big difference now is that because the values have risen so much, inevitably they will be seen as a second car luxury. It's not as if they have become more fragile over time.

I see your point there but not necessarily the case. Let's say a good 993 ranges from £50k to £70k - there are plenty of people who would pay that for a new or near-new sports car and not hesitate to use it on a daily basis.

To my mind, the lack of depreciation is just a good bonus. Drive it and enjoy it is what I say!

Rich_r said:
Whoosh... wasn't expecting this much response when I looked today :typing:

Interesting thoughts on both sides of the fence, chaps.

I've been looking at LHD cars as well (since my 997 is a lefty), which of course opens up my market into the continent etc. It wouldn't be a daily neither.

Have a look on the Philip Raby website, if you haven't already there is a really nice looking LHD 993 on there with only 24000 miles for a few bob short of 60k. I think they have had it for a while too so may be negotiable.

When I was looking I really wanted a LHD one as I spend quite a lot of time in France and 993s are even more expensive there. I am still toying with the idea of chopping my Targa in and buying it but not convinced I can justify another 15k plus to change

Zingari said:
They're too much dough to use and enjoy. :bandit:

Poppycock dear fellow. To apply such logic would see us driving around in cheap French cars like those peasants on the other side of our great Channel.

A new mass production 991 still costs more than a 993 hand built by Heinz and Torsten which quite frankly is robbery on a greater scale than Ronnie Biggs an his chums could ever dream of pulling off. With Toyota factory methods and labour from Turks and whoever else Mother Merkel is letting in these days you would assume these machines would be better value. Sadly we are getting firmly poked with a colon stick by the Hun.

tyinsky said:
To apply such logic would see us driving around in cheap French cars like those peasants on the other side of our great Channel.

Agreed - 100%. On a side note, my other half and I have been having this discussion for a while...how is it that the French (who pride themselves on good taste and luxury - think food, wine, fashion) do drive around in complete boxes of shite.

I went 996 (GT3) to 993 and within 2 mins of drive home I was in love..just suits me fine :D

I can understand going from 997 to 993 is going back in time but I bet you will prefer the drive of the older cars, its all personal preference

Im sure if we could, we would have air cooled and water cooled in our lives!

It's all down to use case, mine is very specific, high days and holidays, and I love to restore/tinker.

I've owned 996C2, 996GT3, 993C2S, 986 and now back to 993 Targa project, for me the 993 fits my/our life perfectly.

When I sold my C2S I regretted it immediately and HAD to get back into air-cooled ownership again, albeit at a much lower investment level, or at least initial investment as I bought a damaged car.

Water cooled pork are incredibly capable cars but for me lack that sense of occasion to fit my use case. The air-cooled 993 has character in buckets, it's full of quirks which remain from the earlier 911 lineage.

It's a sweet spot thing for me and the 993 fills it perfectly, everyone has their sweet spot and so different cars will appeal.

One thing I think we all agree on is that we love our Pork??

Trev

Bought my first Porsche, a 996, in 2005 as a daily driver and kept it for 9 years. Considered a 993 but thought the 996 a better option for trudging around the UK visiting customers, as well as the fun stuff. For me, it was the right decision.

Now retired and bought a 993 for enthusiastic pottering about in. Again, the right decision for me.

It's all down to personal preference, wants and needs. But all 911s are fantastic cars.

tyinsky said:
Zingari said:

Poppycock dear fellow. To apply such logic would see us driving around in cheap French cars like those peasants on the other side of our great Channel.

A new mass production 991 still costs more than a 993 hand built by Heinz and Torsten which quite frankly is robbery on a greater scale than Ronnie Biggs an his chums could ever dream of pulling off. With Toyota factory methods and labour from Turks and whoever else Mother Merkel is letting in these days you would assume these machines would be better value. Sadly we are getting firmly poked with a colon stick by the Hun.
Is Heinz a reference to Heinz Performance? What is Torsten a reference to ?
Do these people build "new" 993s? (There is nothing on the Heinz website to suggest that.)

tyinsky said:
Zingari said:
Sadly we are getting firmly poked with a colon stick by the Hun.
:floor: :floor: :floor:
Nearly wet meself when i read that! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The most beautiful 911 ever made...what's not to love? :dont know: :thumbs:

Attachments

• img_6400_188.jpg
    img_6400_188.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,443
  • img_6403_760.jpg
    img_6403_760.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,443
  • fullsizerender_1_198.jpg
    fullsizerender_1_198.jpg
    828.6 KB · Views: 1,443
  • img_6092_2_165.jpg
    img_6092_2_165.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,443
...What is the difference in build quality over a 996? Where do you see the differences between these models?

I am interested to know as I have read so many references to the build quality changes but without the specific detail?

Ta.

GMG said:
...What is the difference in build quality over a 996? Where do you see the differences between these models?

I am interested to know as I have read so many references to the build quality changes but without the specific detail?

Ta.

Pretty much incomparable in many respects, the 993 was a product of 30 years of evolution and honing of the same platform and older predominantly hand built production techniques. This was not sustainable by the 90's which is why Toyota were involved even during the 993's production to help save the company by imparting knowelge on its own manufacturing techniques

The 996 was a ground up rethink with modem mass production techniques and assembly brought into the equation, nothing wrong with this at all but it does make the cars almost impossible to compare as they don't really share anything but a badge and basic rear suspension concept. The only real exception would be the gt3 and turbo which share the basic gt1 engine design as the 993 (famed for reliability!)

Even a few of the 993 fans here have said they are not suitable as a daily driver. I'm interested to know whether they would revise that opinion in the case of a resto mod 993? Would the modernifications (see what I did there) deal with whatever issues that prompt the comments about not being suitable for daily use? I ask because I'm thinking of going the resto mod route and it would be my daily driver . . . .

ollster said:
GMG said:

Ta.

Pretty much incomparable in many respects, the 993 was a product of 30 years of evolution and honing of the same platform and older predominantly hand built production techniques. This was not sustainable by the 90's which is why Toyota were involved even during the 993's production to help save the company by imparting knowelge on its own manufacturing techniques

The 996 was a ground up rethink with modem mass production techniques and assembly brought into the equation, nothing wrong with this at all but it does make the cars almost impossible to compare as they don't really share anything but a badge and basic rear suspension concept. The only real exception would be the gt3 and turbo which share the basic gt1 engine design as the 993 (famed for reliability!)

Its funny you say this re modern production methods for 996 and 997. They feel very similarl to a Toyota from a build quality perspective - not a bad thing as Toyatos well made but they can look a bit cheap and plastic in places. 991 much better in this respect and I imagine 992 will move the game on even further.

993, 964 etc last of the truly hewn from granite feel German cars. To the OP you really need to own a 993 and 997. If only one depends on type of usage for weekends the 993 and for dd the 997.

997 does 95% of what the 993 can do. The other 5% is that classic car feel which no modern Porsche has

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back