Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 to 993 - Anyone done it?

Lots of really well argued points on this thread, and some lovely pictures too, well played gentlemen.
My only comment on the debate relates to price. Assuming you buy a well-sorted 993 you're looking at, what, £70k plus? And yet a very nice 997.2 can be had for half of that. I just couldn't justify 993 money when there's no guarantee the values will hold up. Maybe there's a price correction due soon?

:hand:

The whole market may not rise as it did over a c 5 year period but there will not be a whole market correction. They whre undervalued to start with compared to the classic car market and 2 marques will always stand out as "halo" classics ie Ferrari and Porsche. The old addage they will only get older and the fact there was realtively many less made will ensure that the price was corrected....to what it should have been, not as an overinflation as many would argue :bandit:

I like 997's but love 993's that is the difference. AS a daily a 997 all day long but as a hobby car 993 all day long for me. To imply that a 997 is the end of ...... as the 993 was the end of the air cooled era is not a comparison so far as I'm concerned. The change from air to water cooled was a massive fundamental change not just in engine design but to mass production techniques which both fundamentally changed the nature of the 911 (in good and bad ways) but none the less was a much muhc bigger change than 997 to 991 will ever be. The 997 will always have the 991 to control its market / desirablility whereas the 993 in not influenced at all in 996 / 997 / 991 prices (as the market has proven).

MattyR said:
...911 for my current needs i.e. kids, commuting, daily errands, weekend trips and the occasional bag of compost! It's viable as a main car if maintained correctly.

Regardless of the difference of opinion, that you are chucking bags of compost in the back of your 997.2 has my respect. Love that. I once squashed two small conifer trees in the back of a 964 that were from my Dad's garden in Cornwall. They just fit. By the time we hit Dartmoor heading back to London there were spiders everywhere, screams from the passenger seat and an atmosphere not helped by my laughing. Horse ***** I draw the line at.

Glad you are enjoying the 997, hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

:thumbs:

I went from a '87 3.2 Carrera coupe to a '96 993 C4 coupe and never bonded with it. Ended up getting back into an almost identical '87 3.2 Carrera coupe.

The 993 was quicker (than the 3.2s), but not much and other turbo diesel hatchbacks would give you a fright. It felt and looked slightly more modern with 6 speed and power steering.

The 3.2's felt cooler and in I missed the classic upright look. The 993 was circa £35k at the time and the 3.2's were £18k so I didn't really feel the extra outlay was justified.

My current 996 turbo X50 is the most modern Porsche I've owned and is very polished compared to the 993 (even though it's now dated) and has the handling and performance to match.

You may find you love the classic feel of a 993 that I liked in my 3.2. Some like the idea of older aircooled cars but can't live with the quirks these older cars bring.

No right or wrong, just what's right for you. Goodluck.

jonttt said:
but as a hobby car 993 all day long for me.

But when that involves deciding when to SORN v met weather maps, checking the fan on the carcoon so it stays inflated and as one owner on here spent a cold winter's evening inflating the space saver - just to see what it looked like :roll: it kind of loses its point as a car :nooo:

They're too much dough to use and enjoy. :bandit:

jonttt said:
:hand:

The whole market may not rise as it did over a c 5 year period but there will not be a whole market correction. They whre undervalued to start with compared to the classic car market and 2 marques will always stand out as "halo" classics ie Ferrari and Porsche. The old addage they will only get older and the fact there was realtively many less made will ensure that the price was corrected....to what it should have been, not as an overinflation as many would argue :bandit:

I like 997's but love 993's that is the difference. AS a daily a 997 all day long but as a hobby car 993 all day long for me. To imply that a 997 is the end of ...... as the 993 was the end of the air cooled era is not a comparison so far as I'm concerned. The change from air to water cooled was a massive fundamental change not just in engine design but to mass production techniques which both fundamentally changed the nature of the 911 (in good and bad ways) but none the less was a much muhc bigger change than 997 to 991 will ever be. The 997 will always have the 991 to control its market / desirablility whereas the 993 in not influenced at all in 996 / 997 / 991 prices (as the market has proven).

Absolutely, the last 5 years has been a very special time for the air cooled 911. It's been made undeniably cool by the likes of Magnus Walker and Singer. As we all know this has pushed 996 prices up, especially the Turbo. Whether that happens to the water cooled cars remains to be seen (and if does probably no where near the same extent as air cooled motors).

BUT Porsche only made circa 75k 997 across the generations and ranges. That's not big numbers. Given the somewhat sketchy reliability of early cars (that's an obvious exaggeration but no doubt a moniker that will stick given the scare stories), and the comparatively low build numbers of 997.2 post recession, couple this with the fact that there will be less of an appetite to maintain the earlier cars due to perceived issues (no need to mention what are. We all know), then we could see a nice increase or depreciation at nil for 997.2

All absolute tosh probably!

But anyway, having owned a 993 I still completely adore them!

pierrebear said:
Heard about this thread on the 993 forum so have ventured over to the wasser forum to give my tuppence worth. I moved from a 2005 997.1 C4S to a 1995 993 C2.

After reading the above it dawned on me that this thread actually belongs in the 993 sub-forum rather than the 997 sub-forum so I've moved it.

Zingari said:
jonttt said:
but as a hobby car 993 all day long for me.

But when that involves deciding when to SORN v met weather maps, checking the fan on the carcoon so it stays inflated and as one owner on here spent a cold winter's evening inflating the space saver - just to see what it looked like :roll: it kind of loses its point as a car :nooo:

They're too much dough to use and enjoy. :bandit:

I think the contributions of most 933 owners on this thread would suggest you are way off the mark, apart from one poster it seems the others use their 993s quite a bit, just not everyday..

How much use is the 4C getting? Are you still loving it (build quality apart :D )

I will have one one day but definitely not at the expense of my 993

Zingari said:
...or a plinth. You buy one, pay top dough for it and then don't drive it in case your investment goes out faster than Maxwell's cigar :floor:

And there speaks a man who knows about cars kept on plinths! :thumb:

Tobesetc said:
Zingari said:
...or a plinth. You buy one, pay top dough for it and then don't drive it in case your investment goes out faster than Maxwell's cigar :floor:

Illuminati members taught me everything :grin: Speaking of the secret sect that 911v 4S must have been owned by a head honcho in the Illuminati Massive judging by the (absence of) miles he put on it in over 2yrs of ownership :roll:

Albionmuz said:
How much use is the 4C getting? Are you still loving it (build quality apart :D )

It's a totally different car - very raw and taught with the absence of anything saggy and no chalfont damage. That said I've done over 500 in it in 5months :roll:

Zingari said:
Tobesetc said:
Zingari said:

i

Illuminati members taught me everything :grin: Speaking of the secret sect that 911v 4S must have been owned by a head honcho in the Illuminati Massive judging by the (absence of) miles he put on it in over 2yrs of ownership :roll:

Albionmuz said:

It's a totally different car - very raw and taught with the absence of anything saggy and no chalfont damage. That said I've done over 500 in it in 5months :roll:

What is Chalfont damage, doesn't sound like something you'd want.

I did more than 500 miles in one day in the 993 in July, pick your drives is my motto with this car!

Whoosh... wasn't expecting this much response when I looked today :typing:

Interesting thoughts on both sides of the fence, chaps.

I've been looking at LHD cars as well (since my 997 is a lefty), which of course opens up my market into the continent etc. It wouldn't be a daily neither.

Richy, I have it on good authority that left hooker 993s are even nicer than RHD ones because of the pedals not being as offset.

Only makes much of a difference if you're above 6' according to a mate though.

Chalfont St Giles? Is that middle class rhyming slang for 'miles'?

I used a 93 C4 for 9 years and 70k miles as my daily. I don't know whether I ever went to the local refuse tip with garden rubbish in it, but pretty much everything else - shopping, baby transport, work, holidays etc.

However, the big difference now is that because the values have risen so much, inevitably they will be seen as a second car luxury. It's not as if they have become more fragile over time.

pierrebear said:
Richy, I have it on good authority that left hooker 993s are even nicer than RHD ones because of the pedals not being as offset.

Only makes much of a difference if you're above 6' according to a mate though.

Yes i've read that.. I'm a short arse anyway. :mrgreen:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back