Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 to 993 - Anyone done it?

Rich_r

Just putting the idea out there. I currently own a 997.2 C4S, which I've had a for a few years and is still very much my pride and joy, but there is a 993 air-cooled itch to scratch.

Sooo has anyone jumped from a 997 to 993, if so, I'd like to hear your opinion and reason (pros/cons)

(tried so search for another thread the same, but couldn't see any).

Cheers!

I had a 964 many years ago. Smaller, noisier, smellier but still a great car, not sure I'd want to go "backwards" though now ....

I'd be happy to swap my car for a 964 :mrgreen:

:thumb:

Best start by trying out sandals and socks first as to whether you can cope with that. They're not for everyone. :grin:

Spongebob did it and his 'experience' of the transition from 997 to 993 was measured in hours rather than days of ownership. :roll:

Take account of what you're used to and what you're potentialy going back to and what you expect to use it for. For example there's more output from an iron lung than the AC in a 993 (if it works) :nooo:

Dont' fall for the "AC just needs a re-gas" sketch as that usually equates to a £2,000 bill for a new evaporator :grin:

Zingari said:
Spongebob did it and his 'experience' of the transition from 997 to 993 was measured in hours rather than days of ownership. :roll:

Take account of what you're used to and what you're potentialy going back to and what you expect to use it for. For example there's more output from an iron lung than the AC in a 993 (if it works) :nooo:

Dont' fall for the "AC just needs a re-gas" sketch as that usually equates to a £2,000 bill for a new evaporator :grin:

:grin: it was actually an itch that was scratched for a few days, it was a little like going from a Ford capri ghia back to a Morris Marina. To be fair I hated it within days, the 993 has its advantages over the 997, but I'm struggling to think of any! :nooo:

#997sweetspot...

I had a 993 C4S 12 years ago. It was a really underwhelming experience and it put me off 911's for a very long time. The 997 I have now is better in just about every department. They are grossly overvalued as well.

c4s.jpg

Made that journey and took the return trip about 7 months later. Loved the 993 as a static object, to tinker with and use for occasional outings, but didn't really enjoy the drive. In particular couldn't live with the offset pedals for regular use for which I prefer a modern 911. A humble 986 S fulfils the tinkerer remit, much lower value, lives outside, very enjoyable drive.

moonigan said:
I had a 993 C4S 12 years ago. It was a really underwhelming experience and it put me off 911's for a very long time. The 997 I have now is better in just about every department. They are grossly overvalued as well.

c4s.jpg

fight.gif
Talk chum and the 993 Illuminati will be boiling the tar and getting the feathers ready. With rose tinted goggles 993 is the most undervalued car and destined for the hall of fame..........or a plinth.

You buy one, pay top dough for it and then don't drive it in case your investment goes out faster than Maxwell's cigar :floor:

Hey sponge - I can think of an advantage......

..........you save on coolant and replacing radiators.

I was just about to post re Jonttt not driving his, then I realised I've only done 1400 miles in Herman in nearly a year :grin:
Edit* Actually that's 1398 more than Jon :grin:

Seems the verdict is 'don't do it" :D

My experience is that it's a car that requires more concentration than a modern car, which I actually like. But is only a high days, holidays and continental drives car, not convinced I'd want it as a daily driver in SE England.. Cannot comment on the comparison between later Porsches though as I haven't had that particular itch yet.

I'll argue the other way

Made my step in to 911 ownership back in 2009 with a 996 C2 and shortly after also had the air cooled itch.
Swapped 996 for 993 after just 14 months of 996 ownership.
Loved the 993 experience and kept it for 6 years.

Guess it depends how often you use and what you want from the car.
I understand the 993 may grate a little as a daily but it's such an occasion to drive as a weekend car :worship:

Still saying that I'm back in a 996 again now (albeit a turbo) so funny how things work out.

I'd say try a 993 for yourself and see what you think

Nice problem to have :thumb:

987 to 993

I went from a 987 to a 993 and to start with I thought 'What the hell have I done'. It is just a weekend car for me but after a few weeks you start to never even think about the driving position and pedals which seemed so weird when I first got it. Build quality is vastly better in the 993 but the biggest difference for me is the engine. It sounds like it is unburstable and very sweet where the 987 was a really whinging sound.
The final thing I would say is I love the compactness of 993,on our local roads it is just perfect!

I sold my 993 back in February. Owned for 5 years and loved it but I always felt limited my the usability of it for anything but a spirited country drive. I'd go so far to say that a 997.2 is the 993's natural heir i.e. diminutive, pretty, reliable and 'last-of' (the na cars).

Having been a member of the air-cooled brigade, it's a good crack but actually kind of overrated in the sense that you can do much more in something newer. Also the 993 was bloody roasting in the summer- I didn't have air-con so it was a case of shite myself in the winter and SORN it (dry weather use only sir) and then use it in the summer but sweat buckets. Achingly beautiful though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back