Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smelly air conditioning/fan and heater

You do need the recirc to actually work as it keeps all the lovely gasses inside the car whilst it does its job .

Ok the problem as long as its not mice makeing a nest in the pollen filter or other places is a build up of bacteria on the outside of the A/C evapourator .. its like a radiator but inside the car .

In my pre Porsche days and back when i was young and keen i had a Rover in with a bad smell .. it WAS bad .. vomit like smell ..

I removed the evapourator and had it acid bathed .. stopped the smell all right .. these days i would just have used a bomb or replaced the evapourator.

Downside .. its a dash removal job to do that so not cheap.

Again i can offer to get an a/c bomb from work and set it off in your car whilst we have a coffee if it helps you keep the car ..

Ill see if i can fix the recirc .. if not ill use cardboard .

I do hate it when car faults results in a customer selling the car and moveing on to other makes .

So I had half an hour this morning, and took the pollen filter out, and played with the recirc button, and have worked out the flap is infact opening and closing. With it closed, I used yet another Wurth bomb.

Hasn't made much difference.

I have been thinking I have not noticed any drips of water on the hot days when aircon was on full (once parked), so perhaps the drain is blocked?

I would infact consider changing the evaporator, if that meant the smell would go away for another 10 years - and it would give me pleasure to "acid bathe" the thing!

If the drain has blocked you will have damp carpets .. not always easy to spot due to the large amount of foam under them .. a huge sponge basically.

It will be a mouldy type of smell .

Hard for me to say without looking im afraid , several things can cause these to smell and to be honest yours may well not be A/C related .

DeMort - really appreciate all the tips - I will need to think about what to do.

The smell is only there for a few minutes when I turn the ac fans on. (however this few minutes seems to be getting longer lately).

It doesn't sound like it is a blocked drain then, and also the carpets are not wet. With the temp/fan console switched off completely, I get no smells.

This what I used and did do the job, mine had an interesting smell shall we say. I was in my local indi and he gave us this to try, followed the intructions and did do the job.

Its called "Air Co One Shot" and made by Kent:

https://www.kenteurope.com/fr/

I am sure that somewhere in UK will sell the stuff as well.

Give it a try fella

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back