Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Running a 996 is becoming an expensive hobby...

Yes I did think of that a few times.

I decided against it for a few reasons -
1) to me the 997.1 is essentially a facelift of the 996.
2) I genuinely prefer the look of the 996 from most angles exterior, I also particularly like the interior
3) Several people I respect believe the 996 to have a better chassis than the 997 (despite point 1), this confirms what I think too.
4) I'm a tinkerer and would want to tune whatever car I had, I'd be starting again from scratch with a different car
5) Whilst the 997 may be 'newer', it still isn't a new car and I would still face the lack of functionality faced by the 996 (which I've circumvented by the in-dash iPad)
6) Any 997 would have needed work doing to it, be it consumables etc etc.
7) I did consider a 997.2 PDK turbo S but didn't expect my engine rebuild to cost as much as it did. That said, points 1-6 would still apply.

Just my (personal) take on it, I'm sure lots of others would always choose a 'newer' car because, well, its newer and therefore must be better. I don't subscribe to this philosophy.

:thumb:

Thread this thread has been quite cathartic for me, and I'm sort of glad I'm not alone in spending a fair amount of wedge keeping these superb cars on the road.

For the new or potential owners, this isn't meant to put you off. The reality is that many people buy an expensive car without realising the expenses that can materialise. That only harms their ownership experience and results in some poor cars ending up for sale, but it seems like there is a normal level of expense that you should budget for.

I'm hopeful my expenses will be put on hold for a good while so my 'monthly' spend comes down to something more acceptable over time. I'm not sure my car is a keeper, I'm not one to keep a spare car in the garage, but while I have it I'm going to maintain it properly so the next owner benefits.

wasz said:
alex yates said:
My car is 18 next month. I'll bet if I go out and buy any of the usual "small cars" like Micra, Fiesta, Punto that are 18 years old and maintain it to the same standard as mine but take it to the local dealer, it costs me the same money. Most of them crappy little cars don't even make it to 18.

I bet if I had kept running my '94 corrado 2.9 VR6 I'd be in a similar amount. Those bore score too!

The parts are similar cost (clutch, suspension arms, brake discs), the labour hours are pretty much the same.

I don't buy this "its a 70k car, it will cost lots" at all. It will cost lots A) because its an old car and stuff wears out, B) because the parts and labour rate is doubled as they know you are good for it and C) Porsche owners are typically fastidious types who want their 20 year old car to be like new.

My VR6 cost me over £4000 in the last 2 years before I sold it.

The only expensive bits Ive noticed are engine specific related. If that has to come apart then yes your speaking a lot.

Ive owned around 50 cars and Ive not found either of my 911's noticeably any more expensive to run than other ones I cared about. Daily hacks don't count.

Had my C2 14 months now and apart from a service I've not needed to spend anything on it.
However..... the drivers side door lock is becoming a bit unreliable.
A job for the winter me thinks. :)

I've had my C4S for three years now (wow that's gone quickly) and until now I've not had to spend much more than the servicing. I have done, on a few choice mods that I wanted but not really needed stuff other than a few small bits and bobs.

However the car is at the moment having

Service
Brake caliper refurbs
Rear coffin arms
front and rear diagonal arms.
Front top mounts
New door mechanism.
All four wheels refurbed.
Rear wiper blade.
Fuel cap seal.
Rad outlet duct.
New coolant cap.
New front splitter.

It will also need a new set of silencers and brake discs and pads at some point in the next year or two depending upon the use it gets.

It's a lovely car though and will look great with the wheels and calipers like new.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emb01
Back