Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo S - am I mad?

The turbo 'S' was actually quite a popular car in the UK and there were a lot registered.
I'm going to get shot for this but I've had a Gen 1 Turbo Tip and I've now got a Gen 2 Turbo PDK.
Here's my two pence worth; The Gen 1 is now getting long in the tooth, so will more than likely require a few major service items, such as coolant pipes, water pump, rads, condensors, disk and pads, exhaust and a few other things.
The PDK box is stunning, it is the right box for the car hands down. The PDK is a manual type box with an auto change and the 'Tip' is an old style Auto box that can be over ridden with manual control.
The DFi engine has no know problems, the Metzger is a bit of a legend as it's derived from a Porsche race engine so hence the cult status but don't get wrapped up in buying one because in all honesty your not going to notice any major differences other than the noise, the DFi powered cars are a lot more refined, noise levels are lower and the power delivery of the DFi is a bit more 'refined'. The interior is another problem, the Gen 2 upgrade really pulled the cars up, the Gen 1 interior is dated and lacks the Bluetooth and up to date Sat Nav and also connectivity of peripherals. I know it can be pulled out and upgraded but that detracts from being a Gen 1.
There is actually a really nicely spec'd Gen 2 Turbo for sale at RPM Technik, it has the Carbon backed seats and PCCB's, mileage is a bit leggy but the car looks good and if your mileage is low then it'll not hurt it too much.
Now is the time to buy, cash in hand you can probably get a lot of car for your money, £70k should get you a really good car.
G T 3's are epic but they're a whole different car to a Turbo and from what I've seen need more TLC.
One last thing I think the 997 is the best looking car.
See if you can get a drive of a Turbo PDK, if you were closer to me I would take you for a run out, you won't be disappointed they're a very fast, capable car.

Thanks for the advice. RPM also have a couple of gen 1.5's that look nice. The trouble is the price makes them closer to a gen 2 pdk.
Will keep looking and try to see and drive a couple then go from there.

Maph - thanks also for your detailed reply. The range of price is quite large, I just need to decide if it's worth a stretch!!

The Gen 1.5's are a good compromise but the ones I looked at always had something missing in their spec's, sometimes it was Sport Chrono not fitted or no 18 way electric seats. Good Gen 1.5, especially manuals fetch high money and they are pretty rare. TBH a good low mileage one will cost you as much as a Gen 2.

I wouldn't get bogged down with the Gen 1 to 1.5 thing. The more time goes on the less relevant the gadget thing will become.

If you want something with all the gadgets then 991.

If you want superfast, easy to drive and refinement then PDK 997.2

If you want superfast, a bit more work, noise and raw driving then Manual 997.1.

If you just want out n out raw - 997 GT3

997 Turbos aren't a rare car, however, the 997.1 is the last Manual Turbo Mezger? Will this help prices in the future? You need to ask Boba Fett for that.

Good luck with your search. :thumb:

Couldn't have put it better myself :thumb:

The Gen 1.5's at RPM are all sort of 'marmite' cars. 1st one is a tip with a cocoa brown interior. 2nd is a cab and the 3rd is the nicest but they want £75 k for it!

The 997 Turbo with the extras tick the boxes apart from mileage and the 997 GT 3's are nice but you won't get anything off them and at £100k they're a bit rich but will certainly not go down much in value.

Don't forget you can always find the ideal car from a dealer, have it inspected, negotiate a lower price by insisting on not having a dealer supplied warranty, then use the money you have saved towards a Porsche Warranty from your local OPC.
This is what I did, apart from getting my own inspection, and it worked really well, the discount I negotiated covered the Porsche 111 point check, some parts to keep Porsche happy and a 2 year warranty.

Clearly I don't recommend not having your own inspection, but I decided to take a flyer on this car and save the money & hassle of organising my own inspection

I've had my 997.2 Turbo s for nearly 4 years. Never kept a car so long as I love it. Very difficult to find a replacement and one that won't lose too much money. In the turbo s your money is pretty safe I think as very limited numbers!

I may be getting rid of mine. Unsure yet. But based in Midlands if you'd like to have a look?

2010 997.2 Turbo S
25k miles
Full porsche history
Porsche warranty until July 2019
Looked after by porsche Wolverhampton last 4 years so they know car well
Black on black
Turbo 2 alloys as didn't like the centrelocks

AEROKIT ( very rare and I waited 2 years to find one with this spec)

Let me know!

Thanks again for replies.
To be honest I am leaning towards a Turbo S. I would prefer centre locks to be honest. There is a turbo S at wolverhampton OPC which is close to me so may go and have a look. Most of the other cars at OPCs are at opposite ends of country or Scotland!
Never mind - an excuse for a day out, or two

easternjets said:
Just had a look and the only one they have is £133 k, ouch!

For a 997 Turbo S??? That's preposterous :eek:

docdale said:
Thanks again for replies.
To be honest I am leaning towards a Turbo S. I would prefer centre locks to be honest. There is a turbo S at wolverhampton OPC which is close to me so may go and have a look. Most of the other cars at OPCs are at opposite ends of country or Scotland!
Never mind - an excuse for a day out, or two

If I were you I would be talking to S14 .....but nothing wrong with going to Scotland for a car ....I buy mine in Leicester ! So travel for the right one .....

Think again about the centrelocks....they require a big torque wrench in your home toolkit and a hefty bicep........but if you like them go for it ....personally , I also preferred the 5 stud wheel having had them on a GT3 previously .....

Oldish thread, apologies.

I bought a 997 Turbo S in August from an OPC. Meteor Grey 18k miles

I love it, the PDK is sublime and the car can be driven very sensibly or at the touch of a button become an animal.

Performance is on par with my old 600hp 996 Turbo, albeit a delivered to the road much more politely.

Pictures on my insta link in sig.

Got it from Silverstone, good OPC, can't fault them.

Good luck! :thumb:

easternjets said:
This one's a very nice car and in GT Silver which is a great colour. Has the sunroof delete which is unusual.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...ranty-low-mileage-2010--price-reduced/9001678

I believe sunroof was not standard on the S. Mine has no sunroof.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back