Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

M96 Porsche factory short engines, price reduction

OK if you can manage that Colt - but you still probably will have snapped manifold bolts, head gaskets, some seals, and the engine has to go in and out and all be connected and working with fluids etc and if you do it yourself - no guarantee to fall back on.

You also will have Lokasil bores and plastic coated pistons some of which we have had in as failures under 20K (not many admittedly but what would you do if yours did fail?).

I do urge people to check the equivalent with other proces that fix the bore problem permanently (like us) into the bargain and compare equivalent build prices.

Baz

I would definately consider sending a new short block straight to Baz to be sorted.

MC

plenty of food for thought here. Good to have a perspective from Hartech.

The situation is similar to my experience in the commercial aircraft industry. Porsche isn't alone here.

Billions spent on jet engine development and problems straight out of the factory. A replacement new engine isn't always the solution as it will have the same issues.

If my engine blows and has a good core, I think I would opt to have it rebuilt and refitted etc by someone who has a lot of experience doing it and get a warranty. I like to have a warranty safety net in such circumstances...

I thought Porsche reduced the price of short 3.4 engines about 18 months ago?
I'm sure there was talk about it here then?

MisterCorn said:
I would definately consider sending a new short block straight to Baz to be sorted.

MC

Best of both worlds then :)

Blimey a bit doom and gloom in this thread? :) after reading this I'm seriously considering if buying a 996 is a good decision! :?:

Maybe I should go back to looking at 928s instead...

Has anybody managed to confirm the new price at an OPC?

MC

Wh1t3Kn1ght said:
Blimey a bit doom and gloom in this thread? :) after reading this I'm seriously considering if buying a 996 is a good decision! :?:

Maybe I should go back to looking at 928s instead...

Lol it always doom and gloom when people talk of *potential* engine costs.

I've seem loads of cars with 180k+ on them

They really aren't as unreliable as the porsche paranoids will have you believe.

Yes they cost a bit to get rebuilt...especially if the crank is toast.... but with the new bottom ends dropping in price this is getting easier to swallow.

They are just an engine... like any other, but with pricey parts unless you look for the alternative suppliers.

...no they aren't an engine like any other! They can and do fail catastrophically without warning and irrespective of previous mileage and service history so to say otherwise is naive and unhelpful ... and some do run to higher mileages but their inards will be completely worn out...

I do not understand the desire to suggest that these are well engineered ,reliable or robust engines because demonstrably they are not....

GMG said:
...no they aren't an engine like any other! They can and do fail catastrophically without warning and irrespective of previous mileage and service history so to say otherwise is naive and unhelpful ... and some do run to higher mileages but their inards will be completely worn out...

I do not understand the desire to suggest that these are well engineered ,reliable or robust engines because demonstrably they are not....

Yeah that. The S54B32 from BMW is a great reference for a high performance NA engine. 3.2l and 360hp in the CSL. Not bombproof but a damn site stronger than the chocolate Porsche wonder.

MC

...crappy comparison but...I am in provence (spend between a month and three each year) and drive down from blighty in our 1995 Mercedes SL 320...never uses oil,never struggles in the searing heat and ridiculous traffic around Lyon...and importantly never need to worry about it! Yes it might break down or a component might fail...but unlike the m96 engine isn't going to wilfully self destruct leading to a massive bill...

So forgive the echolalia but these engines are woefully engineered and this has nothing to do with their age, power output rather simply poor penny pinching engineering...

And this is from someone who has wanted and adoured the 911 since he first sat in one in the Porsche showroom in Exeter as a young boy...I am 50 now!

So...anyone buying one that has not been rebuilt needs to be comfortable with potentially having to find £10ish k should the worst happen...and the worst can happen even if you buy the very best model on the market...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back