Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Capper's 996 C4S thread

Hats off to you sir. Your car is looking stunning

coullstar said:
6k euros, Holy Moly!!! I totally understand the want to keep the PCCB but man that's a big bill. Its not like the std brakes are crap. I would have gone steel and retained the originals for resale time. I used Ds2500 pads on my old C4s and not once did they get close to fading.

You mention unsprung weight which again I totally agree is great to reduce, thing is you have the original wheels which on a C4s are very heavy so what you have saved in brakes you could also save by getting hollow spoke wheels as well. :thumb:

I did look at Steel but It was going to be 2k for smaller heavier discs and I didn't want to go down that route just to find out the steering felt heavy and sluggish in comparison to what I had known.
I did look at Girodiscs as well Demon but again 3k to have less than what I started with.... just couldn't do it.

I do think I was slightly nuts also but my OCD just wanted it right :eh!:

I knew when I bought the car there was a chance I would end up in this situation one day and I was willing to deal with it then so I just followed it through. To be fair these discs had done 85k and 13 years so when you think about it like that it's not bad value if I keep her for another 13 years :floor:

G3BML said:
Hats off to you sir. Your car is looking stunning

Cheers Buddy, she is mingin at the moment!

Plan to get her clean and get some decent pics before the weather turns soon!

C4pperS said:
when you think about it like that it's not bad value if I keep her for another 13 years :floor:

Imagine what becomes good value when you decide to keep the car "forever" :lol:

demon said:
Imagine what becomes good value when you decide to keep the car "forever" :lol:

Well I won't be parting with mine Demon! Unless 996's catch 964's up in value :?:

I figure whatever these cost in maintenance you save on depreciation and interest if you were to buy a new car every few years on hpi. Keep them long term and add appreciation in and its virtually FREE :grin: :floor: :roll:

Great work Cappers! As said already, have you been introduced to our friend Dammit yet? :grin:

Totally valid reason for sticking with ceramics. Going to steels could in theory change the front end feel forever. Plus it's a rare factory option and one that deserves to be kept.
Also, maybe not so apt for a C4S, but whenever a car has steels fitted instead of ceramics it screams "Track work". Ceramics win on the road. The lack of brake dust is a good enough bonus on its own.

Bills all fade into distant memories anyway. There's always a new one comes along to replace the old one. :wink:

Good stuff. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Totally valid reason for sticking with ceramics. Going to steels could in theory change the front end feel forever. Plus it's a rare factory option and one that deserves to be kept.
Also, maybe not so apt for a C4S, but whenever a car has steels fitted instead of ceramics it screams "Track work". Ceramics win on the road. The lack of brake dust is a good enough bonus on its own.

Couldn't have said it better Mark, exactly my thoughts.

I wanted to keep the car as original as possible as it was a press car so feel it has a little extra vintage to it and has that little extra pizzaz... that said the modifying bug is taking hold now since fitting the coilovers. Nothing I wont be able to put back to standard though should I choose.

Just don't see me parting with her in the medium future and I have an image in my head that I am pursuing..... :)

Just makes ownership all the more fun, just a bloody expensive hobby though :eek:

So back in the spring once my bank balance had recovered I decided to tackle some bodywork. It didn't look too bad and I wanted to catch it before it turned into a big job.
Both rear arches and both door slams were looking a bit tired.

K03xLbX.jpg

jE34wro.jpg

Little did I know that the rear arch rust was actually the inner arch coming through... :what:

YghjewW.jpg

So this meant another big and expensive job :frustrated:

I wanted to do it properly and get all new metal welded in as you can't really get away with a half arse repair where rust is concerned. I couldn't stretch to new rear quarters and my body shop advised against replacing them anyway so we decided to take the following approach.

We cut a thin lip away on both inner and outer arch to eradicate any rusted steel, ensuring we removed all the rust for good!!

vQdQX4W.jpg

Would never have thought the inner arch looked like this......

GNWxjNJ.jpg

This was all pretty teffiying at the time.
We then replaced all sections with new steel.

YgJr6QC.jpg

2rht8jc.jpg

And fitted VW Golf gaskets on the door slam to prevent the metal reacting again.

rPJ52zv.png

This was all done on both rear sides.
The car is now solid again but if I'm honest I'll probably opt for a full respray in a few years as the front and rear of the car have now been painted separately.
The front before I owned it, but it was just the usual stone chip cover up on bonnet, wings and bumper.
I have a keen eye and a few little imperfections are bothering me so I'll have to do it one day for my sanity :eek:

I think that is it for now though.

Next up is smaller jobs that are little less expensive and alot more exciting!

Having had all the suspension overhauled and taken care of, it had eliminated any knocks and creaks and generally had made the car feel much flatter through corners.

When driving the car hard though there was a real pendulum feel to the rear. I know this is a general 911 characteristic but this was like the engine was changing direction a split second after the rest of the car. Gear changes were also pretty sloppy and vague. All this coupled with saggy exhaust tips meant only one thing.....

tci5Rlh.jpg

As you can see I had read up and learnt from others that having new nuts for the new engine mounts in advance was well worth while!!!

These were an absolute T#@t to change due to the nature of rust and corrosion, but in theory a very straight forward job.
Would also have been much easier with a proper breaker bar, I kind of winged it with a peice of sawn off scaffold pipe :bandit:

They have been on for a while now and I can't praise them enough.
Everything is 100% better!
Accelerates better
Stops better
Rides flatter
Changes direction better

Unbelievable that one component for sensible money can have such a huge impact :eek:

Ignore those people who fit these and complain about vibrations, it really is negligible and in most case's seems to settle down quickly anyway.

I :rocker: mine!

So since February.....

New Spark Plugs in February @ Wolverhampton OPC
Minor Service in April @ Wolverhampton OPC

Then onto this month she has just had a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 and the alignment checked and adjusted after all the suspension has settled.

Drives really well now but unfortunately had to raise her ever so slightly.
As the suspension settled at the rear it caused to much wear on the inner edges of the rear tyres.

Anyone know of any suggestions on how to run low and maintain geometry? I guess you are into adjustable arms etc right :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back