Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

garage lift

Endoman said:
Work on 944 finished so put the 993 on, perfect fit. The ramps and chocks work a treat.

well done. can you give the specs of the extra bits you had to fit? if nothing else this is a great security measure!

The ramps are from Raceramps, loads of different types, very light.
I made the front chocks out of some scrap wood from the kitchen floor which had to be replaced. The car now sits 4" above the lift so I can get the lifting blocks in. The lift has electro mechanical locks so does not rely on the hydraulics alone. Garage now fully operatinal if a bit untidy. Unfortunately waiting for builders to finish work on the house (sound familiar?)
The back yard is being resurfaced by a fellow Porsche enthusiast who wants me to adopt him after seeing the garage.

Endoman said:
The ramps are from Raceramps, loads of different types, very light.
I made the front chocks out of some scrap wood from the kitchen floor which had to be replaced. The car now sits 4" above the lift so I can get the lifting blocks in. The lift has electro mechanical locks so does not rely on the hydraulics alone. Garage now fully operatinal if a bit untidy. Unfortunately waiting for builders to finish work on the house (sound familiar?)
The back yard is being resurfaced by a fellow Porsche enthusiast who wants me to adopt him after seeing the garage.

Great info! Having garage refurbished so v tempted to do this...

as I was OP, thought I should update on my choice of lift. I went for a scissor lift from sjr garage equipment. originally planned to cut the garage floor and sink it in flush but some concerns with drains and supplies meant that I instead opted to raise the surrounding floor. it's not exactly a Jack Olsen result, but it's done the job and I'm pretty pleased with it. first serious job it is going to get used for will be the rear cv boots this winter. feels nice and stable.

xxr86bwftGPgJBsd7

gkbEAS9EYWW8w1EJ9

UhQKDzVhF1Eem8yW9

DjFJhiEKoWimwLGc7

Hi fellow 993ers

I'm mid research on buying a lift, I have narrowed down to the Strongman Montford or the Twin Busch S3-10. Having found this thread I wondered what swung the choice the ways you went?

Cheers Andy

The Strongman was great value, reasonably local firm and very helpful when I phoned them. Size is ideal for both cars.
It's now recessed into floor so the loading ramps have been discarded. I've lost 4" of lifting height but not a major problem. The hydraulic pipes and wiring are also recessed into a channel covered with treadplate. I made a timber frame covered with treadplate to fill the center. The 993 is on it raised atmo.
Next job is a gearbox swap on the 944.
Garage floor has been covered with interlocking tiles made from recycled plastic.
I'm very pleased with the lift it's in regular use and has been incredibly useful. The lifting pads supplied are a bit squishy so I located some solid rubber ones made in Italy and use those with some aluminium pads in the jacking points. Only slight problem with a platform lift is access to tank drain plug so I use a Form-a-funnel.
The Twin Busch is almost identical (probably made in same Chinese factory and painted different colours) and currently a bit cheaper.
The control units appear to be slightly different, Strongman in a cabinet Twin busch open. Might be worth a call to see who can do the best deal.
They are bloody heavy so get a mate or 2 to help unpacking (might be a problem unless the wife is a bodybuilder).
You can partially dismantle it by removing loading ramps and platforms need to be raised a bit for that.
Whatever you get you'll wish you had got it sooner.

Attachments

• lift_recessed_380.jpg
    lift_recessed_380.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,885
I plan on sinking mine in the ground too :) so its good to see that you have done yours.

The Strongman and the Busch are very similar money currently once you have added the delivery etc.

Strongman are pushing the fulcrum point lift thing fairly heavily, wondered what your take is on that? I believe it helps with very low cars like ours in getting them up the first few inches. When I spoke to Busch they kind of indicated that this could be an issue with their lift :-( So anything you could help with on that would be good.

Cheers Andy

With the lift recessed there is now plenty of room to get the lifting pads in and I have about 2" free space before the car goes up. When it was floor mounted clearance was tight and almost zero free movement with the pads in. The 993 at RS ride height would not allow the lifting blocks to go in hence the need for race ramps which went under the built in ramps. The lugs for the loading ramps were left on and small recesses cut for them in the concrete. The garage was previously a milking parlour with 4" concrete floor.
Fellow 911 owner Dave and I cut a section out and dug down a further 6". Shuttered the walls to size and put a granite mix in for the base making sure it was level because the floor wasn't.
A filthy job and an interesting find of an iron pipe set in the floor luckily it was empty of gas or liquid.
There is a lot of strain as the car is first taken up but recessed it's not a problem as you've got that initial free movement.
I spent quite a while planning the eventual fixed position of the lift to allow working room and height clearance. I've got about 3" with the 944 tailgate open.

Thanks for coming back with all that, I have the same plan with mine, get it in the garage and muck around with positioning until i'm happy. I'm then going to open up the floor, recess down 3 ish inches and then run a self level on my current floor of about an inch as current floor is not so flat. The lift will then be level with the floor height for unencumbered parking :)

I will only be able to use 800mm of the lift rise with the 993, less with the other cars, due to my lounge being above. But as you say I think once you have a lift I will wonder why I didn't get one way before.

I have asked Strongman to do a deal for me on the Zinc plated version, lets see what they come back with for me.

Thanks again. Andy

If you height clearance is tight you need to be very careful because when lowering the lift will raise to release the locks. I thought I was going to break the 994 rear screen first time I used it as I'd left it open and it jammed against an I-beam. Didn't realise they could flex so much.
I'll check the manual but I think there is an adjustable cut out. I also feel it's a lot safer recessed, you're a less likely to chop your toes off. It took several goes to adjust the descent rate that final few inches can move fast and always check you've not left anthing underneath before lowering, like I did once and damaged the 944 front spoiler that I'd just repaired.

Got ya on the release back down. I'm thinking of adding a magic eye sensor so I can't punch the 993 through the lounge floor 😄

Got a good price back today, nearly 10% discount, you don't get if you don't ask I guess 😄

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back