Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 3.8 Yum Yum

In reality it should fetch a premium over a low mileage lard arse that probably needs half its consumables replacing. Plus it's so easy to fudge the mileage on these cars I don't trust a lot of the low mileage examples that keep coming out of the woodwork.

As time progresses unless its ultra low mileage i.e less than 30k which from a depreciation vs milage perspective will basiclally be a paper weight I think buyers will become more interested in a sorted car and less bothered about being below the stupid 100k mark which has zero bearing on condition and future spend in a lot of cases.

ollster said:
In reality it should fetch a premium over a low mileage lard arse that probably needs half its consumables replacing. Plus it's so easy to fudge the mileage on these cars I don't trust a lot of the low mileage examples that keep coming out of the woodwork.

As time progresses unless its ultra low mileage i.e less than 30k which from a depreciation vs milage perspective will basiclally be a paper weight I think buyers will become more interested in a sorted car and less bothered about being below the stupid 100k mark which has zero bearing on condition and future spend in a lot of cases.

+1 whether low or high mileage I just judge on condition of car. No other way really IMO

By way of example the low mileage yellow 993 C2 with 24k miles in ph classifieds. I'd stake my life that cars done at least 40-50k miles - had a good snoop around her. Sold to you with 24k miles lol

IMI A said:
By way of example the low mileage yellow 993 C2 with 24k miles in ph classifieds. I'd stake my life that cars done at least 40-50k miles - had a good snoop around her. Sold to you with 24k miles lol

Totally agree with this. Have seen engines opened up which really don't add up to the figure on the speedometer. Apparently it also remains rife on modern cars with the added incentives of lease and agreed value finance mileage limits and avoiding servicing on time/mileage based intervals.

Boot pocket looks a little saggy :dont know:

For the right dough it's worth having but the listed price aint it. :hand:

Zingari said:

25 bags or a little less given the illuminati will be sweating like scousers in a math test?

Zingari said:

I kind of feel like you're missing the point. Maybe the previous group of 993 owners on here became obsessed with sell on values and originality but looking at the posts of most on here now they have bought these cars to drive not as investments.

I've just invested around £20k inn my car because I love it and because I didn't want another modern car the £80ishK I paid for mine. All the usual irrational reasons apply - physical connection to the steered wheels, lack of traction control, manual gearbox etc etc. But even on a rational level, If I sold my car and got £90k for it next year I would still have had more fun and lost less money than if I'd bought a 991 or worse even a ghastly Jap or Italian pretender.

Get your point but not sure how many forumers its relevant for anymore?

Zingari said:

I kind of feel like you're missing the point. Maybe the previous group of 993 owners on here became obsessed with sell on values and originality but looking at the posts of most on here now they have bought these cars to drive not as investments.

I've just invested around £20k inn my car because I love it and because I didn't want another modern car the £80ishK I paid for mine. All the usual irrational reasons apply - physical connection to the steered wheels, lack of traction control, manual gearbox etc etc. But even on a rational level, If I sold my car and got £90k for it next year I would still have had more fun and lost less money than if I'd bought a 991 or worse even a ghastly Jap or Italian pretender.

meant to add that I also own a 2018 AMG E63S and a F355 GTS and my 993 is by far my favorite car

nickjonesn4 said:
meant to add that I also own a 2018 AMG E63S and a F355 GTS and my 993 is by far my favorite car

Thats a very cool garage. Had a good go in the new E63S. Thunderous car. Needless to say loved it. Nice to hear the 993 beats those two cars as they're both brilliant in their own right. Some praise that is :thumbs:

IMI A said:
nickjonesn4 said:

Thats a very cool garage. Had a good go in the new E63S. Thunderous car. Needless to say loved it. Nice to hear the 993 beats those two cars as they're both brilliant in their own right. Some praise that is :thumbs:

E63 too fast for UK roads, 2-3 seconds of WOT and your in licence loss land. F355 too flimsy to use much and no space for kids!

nickjonesn4 said:
IMI A said:
nickjonesn4 said:

E63 too fast for UK roads, 2-3 seconds of WOT and you're facing jail time. F355 too flimsy to use much and no space for kids!

Corrected that for you! Very special car that new E63 - congrats on the garage - bet the kids love all of them :worship:

Have to agree with Nick re the 993, it's a hard car to beat as an allrounder. I'm on my second 993 and had a mildly tweaked 996GT2 previous to air-cooled. As great as the GT2 was and an absolute weapon when required... it's just not as much fun as the 993 where you can exploit a lot more of the power a whole lot more of the time.

I've had lots of M Cars and currently run a modern V8 daily too, great cars for wafting about in but if the weather is dry, it's the keys to one of my older cars I go for which generally leads to a fun or eventful drive out. ;)

C.

nickjonesn4 said:

Interesting this as I think you have the link many are overlooking.

Like you, I wanted a 993 and preferably a wide body rear drive car (although I would have possibly taken a 4S or the right NB C2). When I say wanted one, I mean I wanted one above all else at any price point be it within or over budget.

These cars are the last of the true breed, they are engaging, classy enough to take anywhere. They don't look overly flash so I never feel embarrassed if I parked it up in a client's car park, I can rock up to a classic car show, a track day, drive it across Europe.

They are reliable, there is room for the dog and everything a couple of people might need on a road trip or holiday. I love the way it looks, I like that it is pure 90s cool, the noise it makes is perfection. I have read people say things like these cars wouldn't see which way a modern hot hatch went – not with me behind the wheel, it is still quick compared to modern sports cars despite its age.

Some of the issue I understand from having a 964. You buy a car in the £teens and within a short space of time it is worth double. You know it is worth double yet somehow in the back of your head it isn't and you start to think you could swap it for something else. In my case it was a Spyder. The perception is these are better cars and there is some sort of trade up as these cars were always far more than £teens even though the selling/purchase prices are similar today.

Then there is the hindsight thing going on where people can justify the spend on a 993 against the value increase. Not everyone who has pumped money back into a 993 has done it because they know the costs were covered by the price increases. I doubt many of us bought one as an actual investment, or were expecting free motoring. It is just the way things have played out that it almost seems like buying a car which may depreciate, or may cost thousands to maintain is insanity. It is actually the way it has always been with perhaps a few rare exceptions.

I have a 160k miles 993 bought a little over two years ago. If I add up the purchase and everything spent from collection to date maybe pushing over £90k? Not finished either.

£65k on a 3.8 C2 NB like at RPM? I'd of been all over that. Far more interesting (to me) than a car at £40k that is pretty much standard. If you want one you have to pay. People like Nick and myself prove the market is real. Either that or we are both utterly ***** mental. :boxer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back