Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen replacement good news story ...Autoglass Invernes

911TEL

Albert Park
Happy to report on here that after a period of concern, research and discussion started on here, that the cracked screen on my car (GT4) was successfully replaced yesterday afternoon at my local branch of Autoglass....

Detail picked up on members threads here and recommendations and inputs by all , I contacted Paul Ralhan of Glasstech to discuss my concerns ...he couldn't take the job himself as it was on opposite end of our good country from his base but he was a true gent in providing detailed info on what to look out for , ensure was carried out etcetera .... so armed with this knowledge I contacted my OPC and Insurance company...
My requirements were genuine screen and an established logical procedure of installation that I would be happy with...

OPC were great and offered to get the task done at my cost using genuine glass but they would sub the job to their nominated glass installer which they did not officially inform me the detail of ( but was experienced and does all their business,turned out it was Autoglass)

My Insurance broker,Marsh Associates based in Cardiff were exceptional in the way they handled my enquiry ( from abroad due to work commitments) cannot fault this broker in any way ...hence why I go back to them ....
I'm covered by Aviva who deal with Autoglass so a few calls later to a very nice knowledgeable lady at Autoglass I was booked into my local branch in Inverness who have a nice 'new' purpose built building , I said new but turns out to be 4 years old....the place is spotless , a testament to all involved in the operation there ....
OE glass is provided , turns out it's a Pilkington screen and arrived from OPC Nottingham anyway ....

So came the day, yesterday, I received a call from 'Sam from Autoglass' who was going to be carrying out the screen replacement later that day ....
All arranged then....

So duly pulled up in the GT4 ....wary that this was the first time I was entrusting a task like this to people I didn't know ....
I hadn't even switched the engine off and the beaming smiles were all around the car .....clearly car enthusiasts ...

Sam was a very enthusiastic chap who must have known I would be concerned and explained everything he would do that day in an effort to allay my concerns ....
The cheesy grin on his face as he pulled the GT4 into the fitting area said it all ....

Anyway , I watched the operation from my seat in the viewing area .....

Under my beady eye , they must have felt the heat but they were absolutely exemplary in every single part of the task at hand ....job done in a way I would have been happy to say I had done myself ..

In summary ,the team at Autoglass INVERNESS are to be congratulated , but I suspect this is the way they do all their replacements ...slick well organised , knowledgeable , obviously experienced great hands on team ....excellent work ...
Lots of superlatives here , but that's deserved .....

Shout out to 'Sam' and Chris ...and all the team there in Inverness ....

Anyone finding themselves in the predicament of needing a repair or replacement screen in the North of Scotland , I can recommend these guys ....

Well done all at Autoglass INVERNESS....

Edited on reread, to also say a big thanks to Paul Ralhan whose initial info was invaluable ..... a true gentleman ........

Terry

Autoglass

Ditto Autoglass Leicester and the let me stand by my car whilst they talked me through the whole process , pointing out where the electrical contacts were in the pillars etc... St Gobain screen and only cost £75 excess ...
Result and I only made the one phone call to my insurer who transferred my call directly to Autoglass for me to arrange my apt , amazing service

Its great news to finally start to hear that several of the big national glass fitting companies are finally understanding how to fit Porsche glass in a way to meet or exceed or expectations .and that some of our insurers are accepting that if its OE glass out we want OE glass in on a like for like basis . this is important as the glass in these cars forms part of the safety structure of the car and for me its more important than N rated tyres. also a big question over ability to put a Porsche warranty on a car with non OE glass. :thumb: :thumb:

I have to say my broker , Marsh Associates were great , no question about any of my requests for OE glass or to know the procedure by the replacing company ..I must admit to being a PITA as fas needing to know what is going to be carried out on my car ...

Autoglass exceeded my expectations and as far as I am concerned I would have no hesitation in going back ( if I had to)

Hats off to them both....
Terry

Echo the experience of Autoglass, whilst not on my 996. I needed a replacement screen on the Ranger Rover, as the crack was too close to the edge. They replaced with an OEM heated and tinted screen excellent service and work.

Previously experienced another installer on a company audi which where (short version) issues with the seal meant water tracked through the car and into the floor plan insulation - car needed stripped out and was off the road for 3 months!

Old thread bump.

Just checking, I had windscreen replaced before for my Honda, and in that instance I contacted Autoglass directly and they used genuine OE windscreen with Honda marking. Autoglass dealt with my insurer on my behalf so I didn't even need to speak to them.

My 996 needs a new windscreen, I presumed I should just contact Autoglass directly?

Reason I asked is that I'm concerned about the 'floating mirror' and the radio antenna thingie. It also has green tint (opt code 567). The OE windscreen has 'Saint-Gobain Sekurit' marking.

Anyone used Autoglass recently and did the replacement windscreen come with the 'correct' marking?

Thanks.

zu2O66R.jpg

e296u9v.jpg

Thanks.

Checked the Insurance policy and they use National Windscreens, so appointment made at my local fitting centre (good reviews online so fingers crossed).

All sorted.

National Windscreens Southampton did an excellent job.

Note that Saint-Gobain have updated their logo/ marking to include a QR code, so the marking is different to the 'original' front/side/rear glass.

The technician said the new windscreen cost £900, thankfully I only had to pay the Insurance excess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back