Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A new 997 problem perhaps?

Simmokj

Hi all

Recently I've had a strange issue with my 997 cab. Normally a quick Google shows some kind of resolution /explanation, but even an in depth google has turned nothing up for me this time.

She fires up fine and drives normally, however when the engine temp is nearing to warm, the temp then drops. If I pull over and idle for a few minutes then the engine reaches warm and all is fine. If I don't however, then the temperature indicator will fail.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Faulty oil-level sender, probably intermittent.

Or you may have a bit too much oil in the engine.

Hmmmm. Ok, would the oil check on ignition start tell me that, it says that the levels are fine, or could that perhaps be the problem?

You should have the very top segment empty on the oil level check.

But if it is faulty, it maybe giving an incorrect reading.

If everything else is normal, I would wait and see if it goes away.

I had a similar problem (needle would just drop even the the car was fully warm), but now I think I was just over-filling oil by a bit too much. But I also switched from Millers EE to Millers NT, and the problem went away!

Which temp gauge is failing? It's the engine temp gauge. The sensor was replaced a couple of weeks back in case it was the sensor, but no. Still happening.

This one :)

Attachments

• 55bfcf29_5f03_468b_8f0e_2e96c6e89de8_208.jpeg
    55bfcf29_5f03_468b_8f0e_2e96c6e89de8_208.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 4,077
Sorry that is water temp - ignore everything I said!!

Have you tried the simple checks eg have you got an air lock in the water somewhere . :?:

Maybe the coolant thermostat is a bit stuck and then suddenly opens to full when nearing operating temperature?

Is it a tiptronic? If so sounds like your transmission coolant circuit is opening.
Either disc valve or control unit faulty. Both easy fix

Mine moves slightly temp wise when the thermostat opens - its more noticeable with a LTT - or seems to be.

Phil 997 said:
Have you tried the simple checks eg have you got an air lock in the water somewhere . :?:

Would burping the system help here then? I believe there's a simple way

rob001 said:
Maybe the coolant thermostat is a bit stuck and then suddenly opens to full when nearing operating temperature?

Sounds feasible. Any idea how to fix that, I'd give anything a go as it's starting to annoy me

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back