Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine mounts - 996 options...

So the 120mm bolts were not really long enough with the original Porsche flange nuts, the thread didn't fully engage. Although it was easily enough to torque them up fully, I had a nagging worry about them coming loose.

The problem is that 140mm bolts are too long (the un-threaded shank extends beyond the engine X-member) and 130mm bolts in 10.9 steel are unobtainable, in fact 8.8 bolts are almost completely unavailable too. By chance I found that BMW use M12 130mm 1.5mm thread bolts and the part number is 07119906978. They're £4.25 each from you local dealer, only 8.8 grade but I decided that was strong enough on such large bolts. They are also zinc plated and should last well.

Useful Information for others following this thread. Thanks Mike.

maldren said:
So the 120mm bolts were not really long enough with the original Porsche flange nuts, the thread didn't fully engage. Although it was easily enough to torque them up fully, I had a nagging worry about them coming loose.

The problem is that 140mm bolts are too long (the un-threaded shank extends beyond the engine X-member) and 130mm bolts in 10.9 steel are unobtainable, in fact 8.8 bolts are almost completely unavailable too. By chance I found that BMW use M12 130mm 1.5mm thread bolts and the part number is 07119906978. They're £4.25 each from you local dealer, only 8.8 grade but I decided that was strong enough on such large bolts. They are also zinc plated and should last well.

So how have you found them since fitting? Im looking to replace my 997.1 mounts and I would be grateful if you could confirm your final shopping list so as to avoid confusion :thumbs:

Also, this maybe a silly question, but does anyone know any reason why I shouldn't not use RS mounts with a tip box? I only ask as I have tip and most of the comments on this thread seem to relate to manual.....

speak to matt at type 911 and he will see you right.

I asked for the 993 RS mount kit with the bolts for the 996 and he just sorted it. cash price was £125 collected.

never had any issues.

should be no different for the manual and tip.

NLW73 said:
speak to matt at type 911 and he will see you right.

I asked for the 993 RS mount kit with the bolts for the 996 and he just sorted it. cash price was £125 collected.

never had any issues.

should be no different for the manual and tip.

Seconded. Matt sorted me out.

I bought the mounts from another member here and sourced the bolts and washers off ebay. The long bolts were the issue, 120mm bolts are not long enough, with thick washers and the Porsche nuts they don't quite show through the nuts. Thinner washers and different nuts may be ok at 120mm. £125 seems pretty good value.

As to how I find them, almost no difference on NVH but not much difference on performance either. My original mounts were sagging a bit but ok. The gear change improved but that was probably due to lubricating the linkages at the same time!

Mike

TIA

Just a quick thanks to the thread contributors, about 4 different sources of 993RS mounts and each one cheaper than the last lol.

I've ordered a set for my 997.1, and will get the BMW 130mm bolts,

Beers!

I also had a saggy mount so replaced both with the 993RS mounts that have been highlighted here. It's not a great kit as there is lots of clearance between the girth of the bolt and the bore of the bush. Also, I may well replace the nust and bolts that came with them for stainless ones. I just can't get over the difference in convenience between expensive OEM rust-o-matic pig iron bolts and cheap Ebay stainless bolts that always come undone when you need them to without recourse to the hot spanner or the electric turkey carving saw.

Any idea why? It seems daft that such a floppy fit would be appropriate. The stock 996 mounts have the studs rigidly held in the rubber, so having the massive clearance for the bolts in the 993 ones doesn't seem to make any sense.

These are RS versions for air cooled cars

You are not comparing like for like!

There must be 100+ guys that have fitted this kit in the UK, 1000+ in the universe

Your post is confusing to say the least!

We all know their original intended use.

I know they're not similar, that's exactly my point.

I don't think the number fitted has any bearing on the rattly fit of the bolt in the mount. I'm not suggesting that it's dangerous. I'd just like to know if there is a reason for it being such a loose fit beyond what looks like sloppy engineering. Could it be that the aftermarket kits are slightly different to the OEM ones in this respect perhaps?

I have the Genuine Porsche ones on my car, only because I fitted them many years before the aftermarket ones became available and they are identical in that the bolt has clearance in the mount.

I believe the made up kits now have 125mm bolts supplied which should be long enough for 996 & 997

Billy,
The 125mm bolts are not long enough for the aftermarket RS mounts that I fitted, Porsche mounts may be different. However, it should be easy to check before fitting.

I am also a great fan of Stainless nuts and bolts where appropriate but they must not be used for the main (long) blot which takes the weight of the engine and is rightly specified as a high tensile bolt. I think it's actually an 10.9 spec although the BMW bolts I used are 8.8, I couldn't find 10.9 bolts of the correct size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back