Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 C4S 1 month in and ongoing build

thanks buddy - the PASM mods keep coming up and im going to properly investigate.

I had two v8 m3s - both with electronic dampers. The first one was stock with three settings,the latter was a competition pack that had the same electric shocks, but 'dynamic' settings. I really didnt think it would make a difference but it did. 'Sport' without the comp pack software was too choppy, but with the new software offered subtle straight lines and perfectly taught cornering.

ill have a look at the TPC Racing DSC module for sure

:thumb:

MaxA said:
I'm always happy to see a well thought through post and project thread.

Mods are very personal but I tend to focus on the performance and feel rather than the cosmetics. ExAn aero kit, aero bumper and big wing are swish but expensive for a Carrera (isn't it ironic that a GT3 Touring costs more than a bewinged GT3?), and at the speeds I drive, I don't need downforce. As to feel however, as long as you have decent seats and a decent wheel, you'll always be happy. This can only be enhanced by mods like a SSK and engine mounts. But what I would suggest, even if you can't see it, is the TPC Racing DSC module which really extracts the best from PASM.
:thumb:

James, as Max and others say the DSC pasm upgrade module is very good and I drive in Sport most of the time now. :thumb: but they are 1k

the spacers question the 6mm has no spigot its your call and many happily fit 6/7mm shims with no issue but I am of the opinion that anything more than 5mm needs to have a centric spigot.but as I say many fit happily and get no wheel wobble . the rears why did you decide on 18mm instead of the widely agreed 15mm , I am running 17mm but have a different offset that required me to play with different spacers to get the stance right. the 18s may be ok and only you will know but you dont want them wider than the arch, lowering will pull the tops in a bit so if your lowering then you may get away with picking the correct size but I cant be 100% you will have to just try then and see . spacers sell easily on here lol I know as all the different sizes I brought trying to get mine right I sold on here :grin: :grin:
re your nuts :hand: If your wife cant advise :grin: then I would suggest buying 6mm and 18mm longer nuts or 5mm and 15mm longer if they dont sell them :thumb: :thumb: hope that helps , others may be able to give a bit more insight as to whether 18s on a WB will be ok. :thumb:

thanks Phil,
Only reason for proposing those was low price, and also the thought that if C4S is 20mm wider per side than standard 18mm would be ok.
I will most definitely go with your experienced view on it though, and big thanks once again for your help - awesome!

Phil 997 said:
James, as Max and others say the DSC pasm upgrade module is very good and I drive in Sport most of the time now. :thumb: but they are 1k

the spacers question the 6mm has no spigot its your call and many happily fit 6/7mm shims with no issue but I am of the opinion that anything more than 5mm needs to have a centric spigot.but as I say many fit happily and get no wheel wobble . the rears why did you decide on 18mm instead of the widely agreed 15mm , I am running 17mm but have a different offset that required me to play with different spacers to get the stance right. the 18s may be ok and only you will know but you dont want them wider than the arch, lowering will pull the tops in a bit so if your lowering then you may get away with picking the correct size but I cant be 100% you will have to just try then and see . spacers sell easily on here lol I know as all the different sizes I brought trying to get mine right I sold on here :grin: :grin:
re your nuts :hand: If your wife cant advise :grin: then I would suggest buying 6mm and 18mm longer nuts or 5mm and 15mm longer if they dont sell them :thumb: :thumb: hope that helps , others may be able to give a bit more insight as to whether 18s on a WB will be ok. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Rob also some very nice mods suggested mate , Now I remember what the red X97 looked like when you brought it, but have never seen a pic of it since you alcantaraed it so would like a pic when you can as your the only other guy I know thats done it :thumb: good advise on the millers nano + 10w50 , I have just brought RSS engine mounts to go on as I had rennline semi solids on the gen1. heres a pic on my X97 after I retrimmed it in alcantara and a pic of the SRPracing pedals I had made I had them made with the heel n toe extentions deleted as my feet are too wide :floor: . now we need pics of your mods , you know how it works, no pics it didnt happen :floor: :floor:

Wish I could Phil. I'm now in Oman till mid September. When back I first need to bolt on a few Top gear bits and pieces and post all my mods to make it happen :D

rob001 said:
Phil 997 said:
Rob also some very nice mods suggested mate , Now I remember what the red X97 looked like when you brought it, but have never seen a pic of it since you alcantaraed it so would like a pic when you can as your the only other guy I know thats done it :thumb: good advise on the millers nano + 10w50 , I have just brought RSS engine mounts to go on as I had rennline semi solids on the gen1. heres a pic on my X97 after I retrimmed it in alcantara and a pic of the SRPracing pedals I had made I had them made with the heel n toe extentions deleted as my feet are too wide :floor: . now we need pics of your mods , you know how it works, no pics it didnt happen :floor: :floor:

Wish I could Phil. I'm now in Oman till mid September. When back I first need to bolt on a few Top gear bits and pieces and post all my mods to make it happen :D

look forward to seeing the pics Rob :thumb:

Lordjimimac said:
thanks Phil,
Only reason for proposing those was low price, and also the thought that if C4S is 20mm wider per side than standard 18mm would be ok.
I will most definitely go with your experienced view on it though, and big thanks once again for your help - awesome!

Phil 997 said:

James I get your logic mate on the wide body, but the widebody offsets on the alloys take up most of that so the wheels dont look tucked in . I am not saying 18s wouldnt fit without catching the arch lip , I just cant tell you for sure . whereas I know that 15s will fit under the lip as thats what most go for . might be worth asking the specific question on the forum make sure if you do you say what alloys you have as most are the same width but one Porsche alloy is 1/2" wider than the others cant off the top of my head remember which one , so it may be worth asking for opinions :thumb:

If you referring to what I think you're referring to Phil, the optional Carrera Sports on the 997.2 wide body are 11.5" wide: I checked the numbers and added 12mm TPI spacers. I really didn't want the rims to poke out.

It was pretty flush before swapping rims and then adding negative camber. There are some rear end shots on my project thread (Mr White) for reference.

Now that I have added more negative camber and have reduced the ride height, my OZs are more tucked - which is a good thing as I don't want any rubbing either...

Thanks Max , I just couldnt remember which alloy it was that was 1/2" wider :thumb: :thumb:

The problem with being a stance queen is that everything makes a difference: the wheel width, wheel design, depth of the lip, the number and curvature (or otherwise) of the spokes, the wheel colour(s), the tyre size, width, sidewall, rim protector, shape of the shoulder, the tread, and the offset and/or spacers, as well as the ride height, the camber and the rake. It all conspires to make it awfullly hard to get it absolutely right. Not to mention the role of the bodykit, arches, and bumpers...

MaxA said:
The problem with being a stance queen is that everything makes a difference: the wheel width, wheel design, depth of the lip, the number and curvature (or otherwise) of the spokes, the wheel colour(s), the tyre size, width, sidewall, rim protector, shaoe of the shoulder, the tread, and the offset and/or spacers, as well as the ride height, the camber and the rake. It all conspires to make it awfullly hard to get it absolutely right. Not to mention the role of the bodykit, arches, and bumpers...

You are completely right mate , and I have found tyre sidewall profiles and size of rim protector do make a difference , which is why all you can give is a general view and why most go 7mm and 15mm , its helped by the fact the 997 seems to already have rolled rear arch lips , but lowering it and the top camber pulling in does mean you could go a little wider than 15mm unless of course you have the 1/2 " wider alloys lol :grin: :grin: I think this post may confuse James even more :floor: :floor:

think I tried 4 different sets of spacers until I was 100% happy with mine , then sold the ones I didnt need :thumb:

I didn't mention the original ride height as the car came from the factory, but mine needed a drop from the stock 'S with PASM ride height', whatever that was. In my view.

So, basically, as long as you drop it somewhat, and then space it, somewhat, it'll probably look OK. At least until such time as you change the tyres, or springs, or alignment, or something. I'm now 12mm all round (again), but dithering between 7mm and 12mm at the front, or 12mm and 15mm at the rear, as the rear now looks like it could use a bit more spacing ... decisions, decisions.

I do seem to have a car that's susceptible to front end wobble: one independent reckoned that the original rims were bent but they're not, and even with new rims, it really doesn't seem to like the fronts being spaced, even if the feel (in the corners) is better. Unless, of course, I've been unlucky and I've trashed both sets of front tyres. Which I might have.

[/i]

Thanks for all the comments guys - invaluable!
I don't want to get anywhere near a tyre touching anything and I'll go with what's been tried and tested 7 and 15 it is!
I'll be getting it dropped And spaces in a couple of months and will post before and after pics when I do.

Phil 997 said:
MaxA said:
The problem with being a stance queen is that everything makes a difference: the wheel width, wheel design, depth of the lip, the number and curvature (or otherwise) of the spokes, the wheel colour(s), the tyre size, width, sidewall, rim protector, shaoe of the shoulder, the tread, and the offset and/or spacers, as well as the ride height, the camber and the rake. It all conspires to make it awfullly hard to get it absolutely right. Not to mention the role of the bodykit, arches, and bumpers...

You are completely right mate , and I have found tyre sidewall profiles and size of rim protector do make a difference , which is why all you can give is a general view and why most go 7mm and 15mm , its helped by the fact the 997 seems to already have rolled rear arch lips , but lowering it and the top camber pulling in does mean you could go a little wider than 15mm unless of course you have the 1/2 " wider alloys lol :grin: :grin: I think this post may confuse James even more :floor: :floor:

think I tried 4 different sets of spacers until I was 100% happy with mine , then sold the ones I didnt need :thumb:

I don't want to get anywhere near a tyre touching anything and I'll go with what's been tried and tested 7 and 15 it is!
I'll be getting it dropped And spaces in a couple of months and will post before and after pics when I do.

Phil 997 said:
MaxA said:

Lordjimimac said:

Phil 997 said:
MaxA said:

Look forward to seeing pics when its done James :thumb: :thumb:

Hopefully the pic will upload. 15mm rear and 6mm front (Atlas C4S)

Attachments

• cbde5c39_8386_40ea_bf0f_f62c4bf06c39_493.png
    cbde5c39_8386_40ea_bf0f_f62c4bf06c39_493.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,879

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back