Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Crank Pulley Options

rkelly

Hello All,

There is a bit of run-out on my crank pulley and I am looking at the options for replacement.

Porsche have quoted me an extortionate £1006 for a new one. I have seen various other aftermarket options out there from rennline, patrick motorsport and rothsport racing. None of which have a harmonic balancer.

I'm probably looking at this as a possible alternative:
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/p...ey-fan-drive-set-to-964-36l-crank-conversion/

Do any of the engine experts have any specific views/experience on running a 964 crank without the harmonic balancer?

NB my car does not have A/C so the single belt option would do.

Background on my car:
Guards Red, Manual C2 with ~70k miles (in my care since 2014).

Engine rebuilt 2016-17:
3.8 litre mahle pistons and barrels
ARP rod bolts
Modified heads
Lightweight Flywheel
RS Clutch
Golden Rod and RS SSK

Cheers,
Ryan

Unless the rubber has been damaged there then Runout on the pulley is unusual. It could be the balancer isn't sitting on the crank taper correctly or someone has damaged it when removing it previously? It can also seem to be running out of true if one plug isn't firing. The latter isn't always easy to find especially if its on the lower set.
Personally I wouldn't choose to run without the harmonic balancer although many do stateside without issue. Worth doing some research or maybe asking on the Rennlist forum.

We have tried the pulley off another 964 and the runout goes away. I think it was damaged at some point during the removal process.

I'll try rennlist too and see what the consensus is there.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ryan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back