Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stripped Locking Wheel Nut - Options

Zingari said:
jonttt said:
I had one of the original locking wheel nuts on my 993 and managed to split the locking nut (they are very soft metal). I tried impact wrench etc but nothing would get it off. In the end I got Unit 11 to remove it when it went in for a service. They had to weld an old socket to it to remove it, jsut takes some old fashioned garage skill ;-)

I thought these cars were 'hewn from granite' :dont know:

Unfortunately just one of those typos which gets repeated and becomes truth. I read that a young design engineer under the wing of Mr Hatter was sent over to Italy in the early 90s, so enamoured was he with the Ferrari 328 GTS. Unfortunately something was lost in translation and he suggested it should be hewn from Grana, a rather tasty but flaky hard Italian cheese, hence the crumbly nature of the chassis legs and wheel bolts.

MC

:floor: :thumb:

Things must be quiet on the 996 forum... or maybe talk of IMS & RMS problems have been exhausted... :grin:

C.

cableguy said:
Things must be quiet on the 996 forum... or maybe talk of IMS & RMS problems have been exhausted... :grin:

C.

I'm on holiday, normal service will be resumed next week when I can get driving and spannering again.
MC

Update - 5 min job, chapped a 17mm splined socket over the offending security nut and off it came - nut was obviously ruined and I was correct in assuming the lock key had rounded some of the indents. Changed all the lock nuts over for a new set and jobs a good un.........no further forward with the rubbing noise :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back