Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Running Rough on tickover

gibbs63

Evening people, help needed please,started the 997.2 this morning was ok on start up but soon realised that on tickover it was running really lumpy, when the revs were higher no problem, back to tickover rough again, any ideas,
thanks for any ideas or input.. i'm new to the forum so a bit green.

You need a fault code readout of the engine electrics ( DME ).

2 things im thinking .. a coil pack or a valve high lift solinoid has failed ..

If the fault codes indicate a misfire on say 1,2 and 3 then its bank 1 solinoid with 4,5 and 6 being bank 2 .

A single misfire would indicate a coil pack on that cylinder .. well several things it could be but we always start with a coil pack .

Many thanks Demort, if it was a coil pack is it worth having them all done at the sametime ? thanks again Demort.

Get a fault code read out done first .. see what the fault codes actually are before replaceing or ordering parts :thumb:

And no .. i replace whats broken .. not what is ok but might break sometime in the distant future :D

gibbs63 said:
Evening people, help needed please,started the 997.2 this morning was ok on start up but soon realised that on tickover it was running really lumpy, when the revs were higher no problem, back to tickover rough again, any ideas,
thanks for any ideas or input.. i'm new to the forum so a bit green.

May also be worth checking out the throttle body and MAF. Disconnect the MAF and see if it runs better on the default map thereby activated and clean any deposits in the throttle body

Took the car to my local indy he plugged the diagnostic machine in and the misfire was on cylinders 4,5,6, at it turns out to be an actuator on that bank causing the misfire, he says it is probably the top one.
@ Demort, does that sound right to you, i trust the indy 100% he is upfront and will tell you exactly how it is.

The top one is the vario cam solinoid so it wont be that one , you can diagnose that by looking at camshaft devations on the tester .. it also throws up a fault code .

The one in the center of the head ( tappet high lift solinoid ) is the one i think it is so bank 2 as thats the side the misfires are on.

Not uncommon , ive done a few and the only codes you tend to get are misfire ones .

No. 11 in the image.

Also its what i listed in my first post :)

Attachments

• 103_05_326.gif
    103_05_326.gif
    78.6 KB · Views: 2,232
  • 103_05_326.gif
    103_05_326.gif
  • 103_05_326.gif
    103_05_326.gif
Thank you Demort, you were right, i got the wrong one, its the part you describe,its being fitted tomorrow, i will report back when all is done,appreciate your help as always. :thumbs:

Im going to be extremely embarrassed if this doesnt fix it !!

Theres not a lot to work from from your description but the higher revs and its ok and coupled with the misfire codes your indy found then its the only thing i can think of.

ok, its been a while but the indy was on holiday, he has now fixed the problem as Demort,said, high lift cam solenoid, also had new heat shields both sides as old ones were rusted out,new plugs exhaust clamps,and major service while it was there,runs sweet as now
Thanks again Demort much appreciated. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back