Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anybody want to play Guess that Knock!

Grey996

I've got a knocking coming from the front that's driving me mad now. I can feel it most when rolling at low speeds like coasting up to a red light and it's a dull but definite knock, not loud enough to hear but I can feel it. When driving quicker it either goes away or is masked as I can't feel anymore. It that sounds like a bushing or joint, i.e. It doesn't sound like metal on metal. When the car was in for a service I asked them to check it out and they suspected the tuning forks but I've changed them and it's still the same. I phoned up the garage to tell them and they suggested the front ARB bushes but I've changed those as well and yes you've guessed it, no change.

I've given everything a good waggle but can't detect any movement, tyres are fine, shocks and mounts are fine as I replaced the springs recently and still no change in the knock. I thought it might be steering related but I can't get it to do it when I waggle the wheel.

I'm going to take the car back in but was hoping the collective could suggest some likely causes to work through when it's in.

Thanks

Check the body to chassis joins. My plastic clips had come loose and was causing it to 'bump' at some points. Sounded much like a knock. Couple of new clips on the undertrays and on the wings and alls good. See photo for what I mean

Attachments

• 996_front_underside_clips_182.png
    996_front_underside_clips_182.png
    767.3 KB · Views: 1,663
Thanks, I've had the bumper off recently so I know it's all tight under there, thanks anyway.

I would have said tuning forks but your garage has ruled that out. There's a vid showing what they sound like when kaput on YouTube...

https://youtu.be/2W5qidpo0u4

Long shot but I had an odd rattle in the front a while back, turned out it was the rear cover of the headlamp unit had fallen off and was clattering about inside the wing. Only seemed to hear it at low speeds and over bumpy roads. Higher speeds generally on smoother roads it was quiet.

Took me a while but I found it in the end!

As someone with a 'odd clunking noise" problem myself, I feel your pain!

Thanks for the link, mine doesn't sound like that, that sounds like metal on metal but mine is a much more subtle duller knock more like a rubber bush type knock and i don't think its loud enough for a camera to pick it up.

I'll have a wiggle of everything else I can find!

Thanks

Don't guess, stick some chassis ears on there. Steelman make some nice wireless ones. I'd expect a decent Indy to have some.

Thanks both, I've not heard of chassis ears before, finally they have thought of everything 😀. I'll see if the garage have a set.

ARB all good when I swapped the bushes, no rust.

Sorry for delay in getting back,

Yes it's only noticeable when warm and you can feel it through the wheel.

I took it in yesterday and he's diagnosed the o/s inner tie rod which you can feel is knocking when you bounce the suspension. Apparently he's had this before where there's no play as such so don't show with normal waggling but they stick and release under load causing the knock. I've bought a new one and am about the fit it so fingers crossed!

Well I think I've got it, haven't done a long run but after my usual test loop all's good......except I can now feel the play from the gearbox mount more!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back