Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bumper Painting question

Lordjimimac

hi folks,

Im after an aero bumper for my atlas grey 997 and ive found a used speed yellow one. I contacted one of the recommended bodyshops from this forum and they quoted me £400 to spray and fit it. Sounds good to me.

Ive two questions and i'd be grateful of any thoughts and wisdom!

- any issues with painting a yellow bumper a dark grey? any things i should specify to make sure its done well? Or is it best to avoid yellow>grey altogether?

- aside from the bumper, are they any other parts i need to make the swap from standard to aero?

big thanks,
James

Its all straightforward to a bodyshop that knows their onions, and if youve gone to one off here that has been recomended and they are charging you £400 you should have no problems.

What are you doing about a splitter?

cool thanks, thats reassuring!

Good point on the splitter - hadn't considered that yet. Just saw that they are another few hundred quid, which is annoying! Ill keep as raw black i think as i remember the one on my 996tt got a bit scuffed and was easy to manage as not painted.

Do you know what choices i have for the splitter?

thanks!

PeterS said:
Its all straightforward to a bodyshop that knows their onions, and if youve gone to one off here that has been recomended and they are charging you £400 you should have no problems.

What are you doing about a splitter?

£400/500 sounds the right money for a decent job , they will strip the yellow off anyway and prep the bumper befor painting it silver . does it come with the air intake ducts or are you having to buy those seperate . :thumb:

ok, you need to find out if the painter is going to remove all the existing paint back to the plastic or prep the existing and shoot the new paint over the top. Either method is fine except they will need to coat the plastic with a coat of Adhesion promoter before they apply the paint if the go down the complete strip process. I would opt to remove enough of the existing paint and not bust through to the plastic so as to elimate the need of the A P as that can be a pain . Hope that makes sense.

thanks Phil - good to know the price is in the right place
Phil 997 said:
£400/500 sounds the right money for a decent job , they will strip the yellow off anyway and prep the bumper befor painting it silver . does it come with the air intake ducts or are you having to buy those seperate . :thumb:

great advice - ill ask! this is exactly the sort of insight i was hoping for.
:thumb:

edge said:
ok, you need to find out if the painter is going to remove all the existing paint back to the plastic or prep the existing and shoot the new paint over the top. Either method is fine except they will need to coat the plastic with a coat of Adhesion promoter before they apply the paint if the go down the complete strip process. I would opt to remove enough of the existing paint and not bust through to the plastic so as to elimate the need of the A P as that can be a pain . Hope that makes sense.

hadn't thought about the intake ducts! wasn't sure i needed those for the bumper, and just searched google and design911 and couldn't seem to find the parts when searching '997 aero bumper intake ducts'. Could you point me to what i need?
Big big thanks! This forum is very helpful!!
:thumb:

Phil 997 said:

You won't need the intake ducts, they are the same.

Its only if you were fitting a C4S or turbo front PU.

PeterS said:

Peter it wasnt the whole duct pretty sure it was the duct fixing frames that are needed , I certainly had to buy some bits that were to do with the intake ducts when I fitted an aero bumper to my gen1 :?: struggling to remember what bits I needed now :dont know:

ah it was called a lateral retaining frame left and right . also James is yours a tip or man if its a tip the centre frame works fine as you already have a centre rad. if its a manual you will have the blanking panel its up to you but would be worth considering to fit the centre retaining frame with a mesh guard . :thumb: :thumb:

Here are the retaining frames you need:

https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequip...taining-frame-for-Aero-Kit-CUP-bumper-L/18657
https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequip...taining-frame-for-Aero-Kit-CUP-bumper-R/18658

They just connect the standard ducts to the bumper.

If the paintwork is decent on the Aero bumper the paint won't need to be removed, just rubbed down and primed for the base coat. The body shop should know what they are doing! As edge says, if they remove any paint down to the plastic it will need an etch primer to prevent problems with the paint crazing.

I bought a new Aerokit bumper from Teile earlier this year, £500 to paint including passenger door, so £400 is about right!

Don't buy anything other than an OEM lip, they do not fit properly!!

thanks and apols for the late reply

my car is a c4s, so does that mean in need the ducts?

PeterS said:

thanks Phil its a manual car - id definitely like to have the grill on the centre as opposed to the blanking plate - THANKS!

Phil 997 said:
PeterS said:

Peter it wasnt the whole duct pretty sure it was the duct fixing frames that are needed , I certainly had to buy some bits that were to do with the intake ducts when I fitted an aero bumper to my gen1 :?: struggling to remember what bits I needed now :dont know:

ah it was called a lateral retaining frame left and right . also James is yours a tip or man if its a tip the centre frame works fine as you already have a centre rad. if its a manual you will have the blanking panel its up to you but would be worth considering to fit the centre retaining frame with a mesh guard . :thumb: :thumb:

thanks Rob - really really helpful!

DucatiRob said:
Here are the retaining frames you need:

https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequip...taining-frame-for-Aero-Kit-CUP-bumper-L/18657
https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequip...taining-frame-for-Aero-Kit-CUP-bumper-R/18658

They just connect the standard ducts to the bumper.

If the paintwork is decent on the Aero bumper the paint won't need to be removed, just rubbed down and primed for the base coat. The body shop should know what they are doing! As edge says, if they remove any paint down to the plastic it will need an etch primer to prevent problems with the paint crazing.

I bought a new Aerokit bumper from Teile earlier this year, £500 to paint including passenger door, so £400 is about right!

Don't buy anything other than an OEM lip, they do not fit properly!!

It's never just a straight swap unless you buy the same bumper as a replacement. Underestimate at your peril what might need changing underneath! I learned this the hard way.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back