Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.4 Egas modifications

X51 is the powerkit for the 996. Makes 25 bhp for the 40 anniversary for example.

It's different heads and cams and work on the bottom end plus larger inlet manifolds, air collectors and the third rad I think to help cooling . Not a cheap upgrade

That is running through very restrictive oem cats which are like nearly 600 cell

and std air box and filter

The difference a 1 makes!

It would be interesting then to see what an X51 makes with 200 cell CATs and a better airbox.

wasz said:
I bet the egas makes a bit more power than cable throttle cars anyway?

If it does it is unlikely to be due to the egas itself. Electronic throttle is better for transient control as the ECU is never chasing what the throttle has done. Under WOT conditions it works just the same either way. An open throttle which isn't moving doesn't care how it got there.

MC

What is interesting is (if I've remembered this right!) the eGas version of the M96 is rated at 300 bhp vs 296 for the cable throttle - which I assume is down to the sophistication of the DME/tune.

Chap on PH made (or, rather, found) a surprising amount of power by updating the engine management on his 964 (including the air-metering), as the advances over 20 years in processing power and control are pretty significant.

It's also been suggested that the gains of the X51 kit were low-balled, but I don't know if there's any truth in that. Certainly I reckon the X51 would make a lot more power than it's rated at if you went to 200 cell cats and a sports exhaust, as the intake/inlet/valves/heads/cams and the exhaust manifolds were all upgraded.

Surely the increase in TB size has to have an impact, if larger it's got to let more air in but as said maybe alterations to the map would be required to get the benefit.

ITB's now that would be the way to go, had them on a few different motors and the noise alone is enough for me but again they do taking a bit of setting up on the rollers.

Locosaki said:
Surely the increase in TB size has to have an impact, if larger it's got to let more air in but as said maybe alterations to the map would be required to get the benefit.

ITB's now that would be the way to go, had them on a few different motors and the noise alone is enough for me but again they do taking a bit of setting up on the rollers.

I suppose it all depends on where the biggest restriction is. ITBs are the best for throttle response and coping with long duration camshaft though. Definitely the way forward for a high performance NA engine. I have them on the S54B32 engine in my BMW (factory spec) and the response is stunning.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back