Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

10k in a year, am I mad?

Great post, at first glance I was thinking you we're worried about a £10k spend rather than miles.....

Great to see the 993 being used properly, you should use as much as you can and enjoy it.

Trev

If you've got the time, do it, collect the miles, the stone chips, the reciepts and all the memories of all the great drives and great times. Never look back.

Personally I wouldn't enjoy mine with loads of miles, bills, and stone chips. Id rather it stay mint, polished, very low miles. Everyone has their own circumstances, the rate I change motors I cant afford to rack up miles and lose loads of money :thumb: :grin:

I had a few sleepless nights when Herman crept over 20K I can tell you and he's nearly 9 :nooo: For me not driving him too much makes him all the more special when I do.

Drive it and ignore the grumpy Manc, he's just in a bad mood 'cos his team are rubbish!

Seriously though, your point about being over 100K is spot on, it's taken the hit, now enjoy it. Likewise, I agree that they do seem to drive better when used regularly (that could, of course, be us getting used to them!).

You are a long time dead - enjoy it doing what it was made to do!

(Oh, any plenty here will tell you that my treatment of my car proves I'm insane, so take this with a pinch of salt!)

Well done jhrsc. A great philosophy to enjoy while you can. :thumb:

My 993 probably does 3-5k a year and is maintained over and above, however I won't paint/restore the car anytime soon as i'll be less inclined to use it for fear of stone chips, car parking dings etc.

C.

cableguy said:
My 993 probably does 3-5k a year and is maintained over and above, however I won't paint/restore the car anytime soon as i'll be less inclined to use it for fear of stone chips, car parking dings etc.

C.

^^^^^^ This...

When I first got mine, I was doing 12k per year as a daily. It never missed a beat, and didn't cost me a penny.
Then it went in for the full body job and was away for 10 months.......

When it came back, I was too worried about the stone chips, car park dings and other damage you just get as a daily - so it only gets occasional use now (though it is limited to 5k by the Insurance).
I'm probably doing 3k per year, but they are great experiences, probably made better by the fact that they are all 'occasions' now.

I do sometimes wish I'd never had the body work done then I would use it more :nooo:
....and other times i'm glad I had it done 'cos it looks just great and I enjoy keeping it that way.

Can't win. :frustrated:
Perhaps the best advice for others is - just use it and don't bother about the paintwork :?:

Kudos, OP!

I am definitely in the "use it as it was intended" camp too and so would say you're definitely not mad. Then again, I didn't buy a garage queen (88k at purchase). Having owned it around 10 months, I've put 8,000 miles on her so far (with another 1,700 or so planned on a charity rally from Jersey to St Malo for end of September).

In my defence, I live on an island which is only 9x5 miles. :D

jhrfc said:
My thoughts are use it while you can.
:thumbs: it may look nice in the garage ...but it's all about smiles per miles :)

I'm also a great fan of drive it while you can,lifes to short to miss out on any 911 time. :thumb:

Just returned from a 2.5k mile round trip to Tuscany...... Mines on 147K miles now. She didnt miss a beat and drank no oil..... She even avaraged around 30MPG sat at 84MPH sat on the French and Italian autoroutes.

I average around 6K miles a year in mine and I've owned her 6.5 years.

Stuff the mileage, enjoy the car :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back