Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Transit Blu / iSimple install

Lordjimimac

Hi folks,
I'm going to be fitting the translt blu to my pcm tomorrow. As per the instructions in this thread.
I've a very novice question about splicing the power wires to the pcm - do I need to disconnect the battery to do this or is it enough for the ignition to be off? If I have to disconnect the battery, are there any issues with alarm etc when reconnecting I need to be aware of?

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=98215

Big thanks!
James

I recently installed the same bit of kit in my car but since I don't really like splicing into cables (especially with hateful scotch lock taps) I decided to use a fuse tap instead.

I used some speaker wires to extend the Tranzit power cables over the footwell and used a piggy back fuse tap. I can't remember exactly which fuse I piggybacked off but I chose one that wasn't safety-critical and ignition-switched (either the rear wiper or the headlamp washers, I think). It now powers both my dashcam and the Tranzit - no problems so far!

cool thanks for your reply!

i sense im more a novice than yourself : )

Do i need to disconnect the battery to do this?

cheers,
james

99pFlake said:
I recently installed the same bit of kit in my car but since I don't really like splicing into cables (especially with hateful scotch lock taps) I decided to use a fuse tap instead.

I used some speaker wires to extend the Tranzit power cables over the footwell and used a piggy back fuse tap. I can't remember exactly which fuse I piggybacked off but I chose one that wasn't safety-critical and ignition-switched (either the rear wiper or the headlamp washers, I think). It now powers both my dashcam and the Tranzit - no problems so far!

I didn't disconnect the battery in my case since none of the wires were live until I plugged the piggyback fuse into the socket.

I'm not really that experienced when it comes to automotive wiring but I've done a few jobs on my cars in the past. The only real advice I can offer is to crimp and heatshrink cables together rather than solder them (solder doesn't do well in high-vibration environments).

great advice - much appreciated
99pFlake said:
I didn't disconnect the battery in my case since none of the wires were live until I plugged the piggyback fuse into the socket.

I'm not really that experienced when it comes to automotive wiring but I've done a few jobs on my cars in the past. The only real advice I can offer is to crimp and heatshrink cables together rather than solder them (solder doesn't do well in high-vibration environments).

thanks for the replies guys

i did this at the weekend - ended up simply removing the cpm fuse to be safe.

The mod is amazing - great sound quality and perfect functionality for spotify, player, and phone calls. Wish id done this on past Porsches!

Highly recommended.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back