Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil cooler fan

MarkGolf

Hi all,

When should my oil cooler fan kick in?

It struck me this morning that I have never heard a fan noise from the front of the car, so I am going to assume I don't get hot enough or it's dead.

Short of pulling the arch liner off and stick 12v to the motor, I was hoping someone can let me know when it should turn on.

Also, a few months ago, I saw a 964 for sale which said it had an LED indicator which would light up when the fan came on, is this something someone sells?
Although I'm sure that's easy enough to DIY.

Cheers!

https://p-car.com/diy/fan/

Quick check is to jumper contacts at the relay to see if the low/high speed works. If low speed doesn't work it is usually the balast resistor gone bad. In my case it was a fault with the CCU. I installed a manual bypass which keeps the temps down earlier than it would normally.

Hi
Ours cuts in quite regularly in traffic during this warm weather - now that I've changed the ballast resistor :D I also changed the relay too when I changed all of them 2 years ago figuring that I didn't know how old they were and better to be safe than sorry

Standing by the front wing, the fan is pretty quiet but pushes a huge amount of hot air through the rad when it is on so there is no mistake when it's working - plus of course the temp guage quickly drops

Ours cuts in just over the 9 o'clock position

HTH

:thumb:

Had my car MOT'ed yesterday got it good and warm on the way. Whilst it was ticking over waiting for the emessions test the fan was cycling on and off. As stated earlier my kicks in when the oil temp is at 9:00 oclock. During normal running I have never had it kick in but it's very quite so probaly wouldn't hear it.
Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back