Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Virgin - looking to make first purchase

I could go up around 40 if that's what it took to get the right car...

Is there a big difference in reliability of Gen1 and Gen2? I am pragmatic and know that sometimes **** just happens and cannot be foreseen but if there is a significant difference then I should only be focussing on the .2

Additionally, I didn't really know whether I should be aiming towards the 'S' or standard... Seems like from what you are saying there would be no need for me to have an S really. I am not going to be doing track days or attempting any land speed records nor attempting any mods to get more out of the car. Last car I had with any real power was a Mercedes CLA45, 350bhp which felt like a good level to be at.

KA said:

Is there a big difference in reliability of Gen1 and Gen2? I am pragmatic and know that sometimes **** just happens and cannot be foreseen but if there is a significant difference then I should only be focussing on the .2

Additionally, I didn't really know whether I should be aiming towards the 'S' or standard... Seems like from what you are saying there would be no need for me to have an S really. I am not going to be doing track days or attempting any land speed records nor attempting any mods to get more out of the car. Last car I had with any real power was a Mercedes CLA45, 350bhp which felt like a good level to be at.

Theres nothing wrong with most gen1 cars as long as you know what the major issues are and check ppi and follow simple user guidlines all of which have been widely discussed on here and the internet , and there are also ways to overcome them . briefly the early gen1 up to aprox mar 06 but you can only realy go of the vin number had an issue with the IMS bearings failing , this is a 1k fix or if not done potentially a rebuild if it goes but again not all cars will go pop. second issue with the gen1 is borescore again a small % but you dont want to be in that % so a PPI and borescope before buying if its clean then follow the reccomended user guidelines . other option is to buy a leggy gen1 for high teens and send it to Hartech for a bullet proof rebuild this would give you potentially a bullet proof gen1 4S for under 30k . next option as your keeping it stock is to put a OPC warranty on it Porsche offer this on cars up to 14 yrs old and its about 1k pa it needs to pass a 111point check first to be accepted. final option is to but a gen1 enjoy it but be aware at some point it may need a rebuild and have that in your pot ,if unused during your ownership happy days and money to put towards your next car. those are you gen1 options . the 3.6 is regarded as a stronger unit than the 3.8 and the manual less prone to scoring than the tip .
but I had a gen1 tip for 4.5 yrs and when sold after doing 50k miles and selling at 89k miles had it scoped and clean as a whistle so its by no means all cars and the % is low that it happens to but you need to be aware of it.
Gen 2 regarded as more reliable, no IMS bearing 40% fewer moving parts but more money and not old enough yet to be showing in any numbers any issues with that engine. options are go for the cheaper 3.6 and if you love the Wide Body find a carrera4 this you should find under 40k or a narrow body 2S for under 40k . again the totally safe option would be a Porsche warranty at 1k pa . thats really your options and only you know whats suits you best . once you have decided on which option it massivly helps as it narrows down your search allowing you to focus on just the varient you have chosen otherwise you can spend forever scanning even 997 from 04 to 12 which is a bit overwhelming . have you driven a RWD and an AWD Carrara to see which you prefer. if not then suggest you post where you live and see if any local members can let you try or get along to a local meet and chat to guys as with the 911 knowledge is everything when looking to buy . these are my views I am sure others may have differing or similar views which is why its good you have found the forum and posted its a great place to start .but as I said further up its key to narrow your search I saw you were even thinking 996 turbo so at present IMO your search critera is too broad to be able to settle and find the right car for you. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

KA said:

Were not allowed to say a gen 1 (other than Mezger) *may* develop serious engine issues :grin: due to a well known engine design fault, it may be fine, many will testify to having no issues :thumb:

However a gen 2 is generally recognized as being more bulletproof (unless your names Phil 997 of course) :grin:

spongebob squarepants said:
KA said:

Were not allowed to say a gen 1 (other than Mezger) *may* develop serious engine issues :grin: due to a well known engine design fault, it may be fine, many will testify to having no issues :thumb:

However a gen 2 is generally recognized as being more bulletproof (unless your names Phil 997 of course) :grin:

:floor: :floor: yes buy my current experience mustn't deter anyone from the gen2 as its not a generic fault with the varient its just my particular car thats being a pain at the moment, it could have happened if I was driving a Renault turdingo or something and as soon as its resolved I will be back hooning :grin: :grin: :thumb: provided I can still afford fuel by then :floor: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back