Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quorn Sports & Classics - Great Service

Haywoon

I collected my 996 4S yesterday after having Quorn Sports & Classics fit a new clutch and updated IMS bearing alongside a new RMS and a few other bits and pieces sorted out.

The garage is run by Carl and Nathan who are both ex Leicester OPC mechanics and were recommended to me.

Based on my experience if you are in the Midlands I can highly recommend these guys. Very professional, do exactly what they say and very friendly too. Plus they kindly documented all the works with plenty of photos which they sent on to me to keep with the history. Very pleased indeed.

They said the original bearing was in pretty good condition after 66k miles other than a small amount of play in it.

The original bearing on the left and the new one on the right

Always good to recommend a quality service centre but hang on I'm confused
:?:

It looks like you've had a single IMS bearing replaced by a wider dual row one, I didn't think that this was possible (I've obviously got my wires crossed as i didn't think that a dual row bearing would retrofit in the space for a single row bearing just visa versa with a spacer to fill in the bearing width differences)

Also which make of bearing did you have fitted please.
Thanks,

Unless it's an optical illusion it looks as though the 'retainer' is thinner on the new bearing hence allowing the wider bearing :dont know:

Yep you're right the retaining cover is thinner I believe to accommodate the larger bearing. I'm not sure of the make fitted I didn't think to ask.

Rang them today as they are very convenient to where I live. Quoted 6 hours to do RMS seal and said may as well do clutch and perhaps IMS at same time as just need parts. Labour would stay the same.

Thinking of putting in a lightweight flywheel at the same time.

Dare I ask how much your little lot cost?

INWB said:
Rang them today as they are very convenient to where I live. Quoted 6 hours to do RMS seal and said may as well do clutch and perhaps IMS at same time as just need parts. Labour would stay the same.

Thinking of putting in a lightweight flywheel at the same time.

Dare I ask how much your little lot cost?

Sure here is the detailed breakdown of works carried out:

Cheers - appreciate that.

Wife will be pleased !

Already spent £4.5K on the thing this year so was hoping I wouldn't have another big bill. This will make the cost in the last 3 years £12,000.

Don't think the car would get £35K somehow.....

On the other hand that only leaves the suspension - although I've done the coffin arms already.

INWB said:
Cheers - appreciate that.

Wife will be pleased !

Already spent £4.5K on the thing this year so was hoping I wouldn't have another big bill. This will make the cost in the last 3 years £12,000.

Don't think the car would get £35K somehow.....

On the other hand that only leaves the suspension - although I've done the coffin arms already.

No problem at all, happy to help.

Mine's back in this coming Thurs to have one of the air con pipes replaced which has fractured.

Then on the list is a bit of knocking from the front ends - suspect drop links and after that, hopefully nothing for a little while!

Although I am considering sorting out the interior audio as the becker amp is shagged but I'm loathed to put an after market head unit in it and I dont really want to just swap the amp with a used one with the risk the same thing will happen further down the line.

Choices choices!

Saw your car this morning when I dropped it off. Very impressed by the condition of the paintwork. Have you had a respray recently? (If so where as Chartwell prices are extreme).

Looks a really decent C4S with some mechanical stuff (exhaust, manifolds) no doubt on the "to do" list. :)

Thanks for the heads up on these guys - they are literally 10 minutes from home.

(speaking of which - do you plan on going to Quorn Manor pubs classic car meet on first tuesday of the month?) I can't make September but if held I will be going in October.

I've had quite a bit of work done at Quorn S&C and have been far happier with their work than everything I have had done by OPC in the last 5 years.

I took my recently bought Carrera 4 (996) to them, for a service this week. They were recommended by a friend.
I am very impressed with the level of detail and the time they spent discussing future works/ upgrades etc.
Decent price for the work. No sense of them seeking additional work (they are booked up a month in advance).

Good guys and happy to recommend them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back