Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3 PPIs and not a single decent car

It took me just over a year to find my C4s. The ones for sale looked good (spec, FSH etc) but they were pretty dire when seen. A FSH is near meaningless unless they have a pile of receipts for stuff that should be changed (clutch, coffin arms, rads, brakes etc etc)

I paid over the odds (23,500) for a ex 911 Virgin car that was in the best shape I could find after a year. That was three years ago.

Prices have risen and the stock out there is that bit older. I don't fancy your chances of finding one that won't scare you with the work that needs doing to it. The manifolds on most will need doing as it seems to be done as a last resort. If the bolts snap (as they tend to) then you're looking at spending a wedge in labour costs for a part that costs less than a £750.

I have spent just over £10K in the last 3 years. This week I'm spending another £1500 (taking this year to near enough £5K). My car hasn't even covered 65,000 miles btw.

At recent events I have been looking at C4S closely. I can count on one hand how many are as good, if not slightly better than mine. None of them are for sale and it would take something starting with a 3 to tempt me out of mine now as it wants for nothing.

Prices have been a bit strange recently and some cars are sticking that appear to be okay but I know aren't that great. Some are "cheap" and are pretty good but still don't sell.

If I had £20K I would be going for the best C2 I could find and holding back a bit of a fighting fund.

Whatever the decision wish you all the very best - get a good one and you will soon forget the price you paid.

The big problem with buying cars is that price is dictated by model, colour, spec, and mileage. Condition doesn't generally come into it. When buying a 15-20 year old car I would just keep a good budget to get it all sorted. Assuming the engine and gearbox are good then £5k can fix most other things if you can hold a spanner. If every car you look at has issues then then it probably just how the vast majority of them are. Buy from an enthusiast of you can, otherwise just expect to change suspension, radiators, condenser, exhaust. Usual 996 bits.

MC

There's a couple of threads along these lines at the moment.

My experience is similar to many on here. I bought pretty cheaply at the start of 2015, getting an early 3.4, 65k miles, pretty good history, all original with the MO30, LSD etc for £9,800. I had a PPI and new it would need a few grand to bring it up to scratch.

I haven't actually added up everything I've spent but it will be comfortably more than I paid for it.

Aside from the fact that I'm skint, I don't have a huge problem with that. it's a 20yr old car that cost close to £60k new.

I have read numerous times that just because £60k car has devalued to £10k, for example, it is still a £60k car and the running costs will be in line with that even if they don't need major work doing. As many have said these cars are old now and need a lot more than just routine maintenance.

I think the problem comes when people buy a £10-£15k car expecting it to cost fiesta money to run.

I'm quite comfortable with the risk, I am driving a car way above my pay scale and even if it went bang tomorrow and I had to sell for parts, I would have owned a 911, which for me is a tick in a box I never thought I'd have.

In reality it is not my only car so if the worst happened, I would put it away in the garage until a time came when I could fix it.

As people have said, everyone has a different attitude to risk but I think you have to remember you cant buy a £10-15k Porsche and expect it to cost nothing run. Someone will be along in a minute to say they are doing just that, but I expect that's the minority.

Anyway, buy them, drive them and enjoy them. If the risk is too great to sleep at night then buy something cheaper!, nothing wrong with an MX5 by the way!

If you are still looking, I'm considering selling mine.

Send a PM if interested.

Buying a 996 at 20 - 22k is pretty much top end money .. after doing one of the 3 ppi,s listed for the OP then to tell him it will cost another 6 - 10K to put right makes it a bit over what is sensible money for one of these .

Buy cheap and fix up is one thing but the one i saw wasnt that .

I dunno, I'd consider selling mine but it wouldn't be £20-22k.

I've spent £5k on it in the last year, it's pretty sorted and I'd be wanting £27k, which would see me some way down but I could live with that. With a PPI being done on my car, which I'd expect and welcome, no doubt they'd be some work identified.

If I was buying another one the only thing on a PPI that would put me off would be engine/gearbox issues, everything else is just maintenance. Buyers need to be realistic in the same way the sellers do with the pricing.

It's all about making you happy in the end.

As Ferry Porsche once said, 'a car that simply gets you from A to B doesn't go far enough'. (I used that quote for an ad when I worked for Porsche).

It's not simply a mode of transport, or indeed an investment, it's an emotional thing.

That said, the buyer should be happy that they paid their money for a decent example (or one that could be made decent) that they can enjoy and the seller should be happy that they've received fair compensation for it.

Bearing that in mind though, I don't see the logic of having to pay an owner back for the maintenance work they've paid for just to keep a car running.

I agree that engine and gearbox issues are the big ones and (most) other issues are maintenance. But the issues with the cars I've seen and had inspected up until now should have been factored into the asking prices.

'The market' is the guy in front of you, opening his wallet.

And so far, I didn't feel happy to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back