Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 exhaust problem

I agree with Marky regarding the PSE boxes, Porsche nailed it with these and I think there's not much sounds better.

I was gonna swap mine out for mild sports and 200 cell cats and I heard someone's car at the weekend with this set up and low down it sounds terrible in my opinion. Keep them standard in my opinion.

I've gone from PSE and stock cats to TG mild sports and 200 cell normal bore cats. I agree it doesn't sound particularly good low down, it's just that when you're really on it, it sounds fab. The problem is that unless it's only a Sunday morning blaster like mine is, then you really want something that sounds good all the way through the rev range, like the PSE boxes do.

This was the same set up Martin, guy I spoke with reckons the change in cats are what has changed the sound so much. He originally had bypass pipes on his original boxes so much the same as pse without the actuator I imagine.

He wasn't sure on the sound either but did think the car went better with the 200cell cats etc

This wasn't x pipe as I asked the question. I hate to think of the loud boxes on these, they must be proper loud

I have the TG loud boxes on mine with standard CATs and manifolds and they sound great throughout the rev range, nice grumble low down (but early morning neighbour friendly) and give a nice howl when I give it the beans. The only downside is that there is a little (not a lot) of drone between 2000 - 3000rpm (70- 80mph) in 6th on the motorway, it's not a problem if you have the radio on but I find it becomes intrusive after a while if you want to chat with a passenger on long drives. I don't notice it in other gears, dropping to 5th sorts it out as does increasing the revs above 3000rpm (80mph+). If you can live with that I'd recommend them.
I was considering 200 cell CATs but the combination of the 2 components doesn't sound like a good idea.

Me again

So things have moved on with the comments cheers all
So I could weld a new flexi section where the pipe
Broke ???
The rest of the system looks good the brake as
You see in the photo is clean
And if I could keep the lovely sound that would be a result

There is a place in Hayes West London that fabs bespoke
Exhausts will give them a try

Thx for the advise

Mike

996mike said:
Me again

So things have moved on with the comments cheers all
So I could weld a new flexi section where the pipe
Broke ???
The rest of the system looks good the brake as
You see in the photo is clean
And if I could keep the lovely sound that would be a result

There is a place in Hayes West London that fabs bespoke
Exhausts will give them a try

Thx for the advise

Mike

I removed my PSE boxes last week. They are a bit rough and missing the actuators but if they are of any use to you or anyone else they are sat waiting to go in the scrap bin here in Cheshire. :dont know:

Those look like the original 1998/9 3.4 exhausts.

Mine were the same with the concertina flexis.

I replaced mine (split seams) with later boxes - these did not have a flexi. So only the 3.4 original boxes have that flexi.

Any exhaust place that does fabrication - e.g. custom systems will be able to weld in a couple of lexis no problemo.

Before you do this inspect the lower seams on the boxes as these go...if they are going then might be best to put the cash towards a newer system,

I managed to score one mint and one new later boxes from a 3.6 C4S - they all fit, just the the c4s tailpipes are different, just swap yours onto them. I went with OE boxes as I can't stand droning aftermarket systems, but I know lots are happy with top gear.

Well not very often we find a cheap fix for a old 996

Found a local company that has cut out the old flexi and replace with a new one all for £200 incl VAT they also replace a lot of exhaust fixings with SS bolts the old mild steel was melting away.

Before I found them I was looking at a brand new exhaust system

Love the original PSE sound very happy with the result.

So if any of you guys want to save the original exhaust and are in the West London area give them a call small shop need to support company's like these
👍🏻
Styledynamics tel 0208 561 0001

Attachments

• 34cb7a25_ea7e_4967_8dff_997a968ff782_187.jpeg
    34cb7a25_ea7e_4967_8dff_997a968ff782_187.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 743