Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How cheep does a 911 have to be?

Picked up my Aston yesterday, and have to say its a completely different experience than a 911.

In the 911's favour, it has a bigger boot, glovebox and door pockets, it's a smaller and more nimble car that gives you a real point and shoot sports car experience. The DB9 does everything else better. I'll write up a comparison in the next few days once I've put a few hundred miles on it.

chiltern.jpg

db_ondrive.jpg

outside.jpg

Looks lovely les :thumb:
I will be following closely your ownership experience as l hanker after a V8 Vantage.

I have to say I'm not an Aston fan but I get the appeal and yours looks smashing Les :D

Will be interesting to read about the comparison and the cost of ownership, I suspect it will be similar to the Porker Reunification Tax we all pay :floor:

Main Force Patrol said:
I have to say I'm not an Aston fan but I get the appeal and yours looks smashing Les :D

Will be interesting to read about the comparison and the cost of ownership, I suspect it will be similar to the Porker Reunification Tax we all pay :floor:

I think that after speaking to a lot of Aston owners in the last year the reliability issues will work out the same. Early 05-06 Astons were very troublesome, but newer cars tend to have only electrical issues, whereas the 911 is pretty good with electrics but we have IMS, RMS, AOS, WaterPump and Borescope issues.

So the real difference will be a combination of drivability, emotions and other peoples perceptions etc.

4 weeks ago I drove my 911 to Rome (its fresh in my memory) and in 18 days time I'm taking the Aston to the south of France to watch the Italian GP.
So once I'm back I'll post a proper comparison on driving both cars on a 3,000 mile trip.

Les said:
in 18 days time I'm taking the Aston to the south of France to watch the Italian GP

Shouldn't you be driving to Italy to watch the Italian GP :dont know:
ban-flag.gif

:grin:

I'm very jealous Les. When the DB9 first came out, I was 13 years old and it was the first car I was truly starstruck by. One of the best looking cars ever.

I had a supercar experience of 5 different cars a few years ago and the DB9 left me really disappointed (never meet your heros).

Hopefully I'll get another opportunity to drive one in the future and come away with a different opinion.

May consider a V8 Vantage in a few years time.

HSC911 said:
Les said:
in 18 days time I'm taking the Aston to the south of France to watch the Italian GP

Shouldn't you be driving to Italy to watch the Italian GP :dont know:
ban-flag.gif

:grin:

I'm staying in Cannes for a week then Lake como for the week of the race ;-)

benbuhagiar said:
I'm very jealous Les. When the DB9 first came out, I was 13 years old and it was the first car I was truly starstruck by. One of the best looking cars ever.

I had a supercar experience of 5 different cars a few years ago and the DB9 left me really disappointed (never meet your heros).

Hopefully I'll get another opportunity to drive one in the future and come away with a different opinion.

May consider a V8 Vantage in a few years time.

The DB9 wasn't designed as a track day car like the 911. Its a GT. Now drive a 911 to the south of France then do it again in an Aston and tell me which one was best ;-)

The DB9 is still one of the most beautiful cars on the road. For loping across huge distances I'd go for either it or a Merc CL (if I didn't have my Phaeton :D)

My mate bought one when they first came out (took a right old bath) I remember him coming to pick me up the day after he collected it. What a stunning machine, absolutely beautiful all round. Sound, looks, the lot.

Mind you he also had the dealer/workshop on speed dial for the next two years as well. He went back to a 911. As stated, different beasts... :thumb:

I know what you mean about the glove box, just enough room for either the service book or 2 CD cases. Pull fuse 22 if you haven't already to keep the exhaust open all the time. Great cars to drive, my only complaint is that the driving position seems a bit high. I feel more like I am on he car rather than in it.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I know what you mean about the glove box, just enough room for either the service book or 2 CD cases. Pull fuse 22 if you haven't already to keep the exhaust open all the time. Great cars to drive, my only complaint is that the driving position seems a bit high. I feel more like I am on he car rather than in it.

MC

Being a Gentlemen's car, perhaps the glove box is just that, I'm thinking brown leather with a quality weave to allow the release of moisture 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back