Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fast road/track car. Brake backing plate, yes or no?

MisterCorn

Fuji
I am putting my hubs together and at the point where I need to decide wherher to put brake backibg plates or not. I am thinking to leave them off for better cooling. What is the general consensus?

MC

Interesting question MC :grin:

What do Porsche Cup cars have I wonder :?:

I am thinking of leaving them off if there is no compelling reason to fit them. The car will mainly be used in the dry anyway so not too worried about water getting on them.when hot. Given the tendency of the inside disk faces to rust anyway I'm not sure they do a lot. But then if they weren't needed Porsche wouldn't fit them at all. The new disks are a fair bit bigger than standard as well so wouldn't be well covered.

MC

Having just changed all the disks and pads on the Merc today, the backing plates just seem to keep all the dust, rust and general cr@p inside. The disks looked fine on the outside, with just a small lip, on the inside they were all rusty/rotten and actually the rust was rubbing against the back plates, which is what prompted me to investigate a ginding noise in the first place :grin:

When I did the Boxsters brakes earlier in the year, the story was the same :thumbs:

For a track/spirited run car, I`d leave them off :thumb:

How would you stand with the MOT? I'm not sure just asking.

ignore me, wrong end of stick

I have removed them, no issues during normal running or MOT time.

Their primary purpose is apparently as a water splash guard.

I will leave them off. With the decision made I can press the hubs back together.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back